Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alesitag View Post
    Well, actually there is a word for fiance in Spanish, but most people won't use it since it sounds a bit dated or old-fashioned, the word is "prometida" for her and "prometido" for him, but yeah, you're right, in Latin-american countries once you get engaged you're still a "novia" xD.
    Yep! I asked my parents how I should introduce my fiance when I speak to the rest of my family (since I go blank on Spanish sometimes lol) and they told me to say he's my "prometido". Sounded old-fashioned to me lol

Met: November 19, 2010
    Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
    Made it official: April 29, 2011
    Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
    Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
    Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
    K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
    Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
    Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

Yeah I know of the word, but how often to you actually hear people use it? Basically, it's either a novi@ or espos@. At least here. Honestly, I never even hear people say "estan prometidos" It's more like "ellos se van a casar"

Anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
        I wouldn't worry about it too much either.

In my boyfriend's country/culture, it's sort of customary to introduce any long-term, steady partner as "fiance/e". Even if there aren't any plans of marriage whatsoever, girl-/boyfriend doesn't sound very serious enough to them.
        My boyfriend's mum introduces me as her "future daughter in law" or "[boyfriend's name]'s fiancee" all the time and his grandparents keep asking about his fiancee as well. I used to want to correct them all the time and be like "Wait a minute - no one's anyone fiancee here! I'm the girlfriend until he pops the question!" until my boyfriend told me that no one's expecting any rings or proposal stories. It's just that girlfriend in their culture/language sounds a bit like we were kids.

Soo... I know your situation is the other way round, but in the end, it's only titles. You have years to call each other fiance/e and when you start planning the wedding, you'll be getting addressed as fiance/e often enough
        This happens to me here in the States as well! We live together and own a house together, but girlfriend/boyfriend doesn't really fit us. So our families often use fiancee to describe us.

But, in the end, it is only titles. The commitment is what matters.

Comment

Congrats!
          && it's probably just an habit...give it time
          sigpic
          Not to get clever
          but with you I see forever
          But whatever it is,
          Here's to you,
          I Love You Kid...

Comment

Working...
          X