Wedding Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding Woes

So in an effort to steer clear of the "bridezilla" title, I felt I needed to vent to third-parties such as you fine people.

I do a fair amount of event coordination as part of my job at work - so putting together a huge event isn't a big deal. But I'm not the least bit as organized as my anal-retentive, type A, work self is with this wedding planning. And the fact that I have to design and control everything also puts strain on my already packed schedule.

Take invitations for instance. Sure I could've had someone deal with that. No. I had to go and order invites to be put together (by us), design the invitation myself and find a good printer (Kinko's just wouldn't do) and also design the inserts to go along with the invite. Everything was going fine, finished designing them, had them printed and got them mailed to me. But as I was looking over the invite today I noticed that the ceremony time was wrong. Yep...so I had to reprint those and now it's costing me more (when I really wanted to save on this part of the wedding). Well that was moot.

On to the bridal shower. You'd think that a shower thrown for you wouldn't be on your mind. You just have to show up and enjoy. Well nope...not in my case. My mom and maids of honor (I have two) are throwing me one. However my mom is getting frustrated with the MOHs because she can never get a hold of them. So she starts asking me "how should we decorate it? where should we host it? who should I put for the guests to RSVP?" Meanwhile I'm thinking "I shouldn't have to worry about this!!!"

On top of it all - my parents wanted to finance this wedding (much to my objections). I'm 30 years old, I don't believe my parents should pay a cent as it was my decision to get married. However, from the start, I told them that I could only afford a small wedding. But my dad said, "well if you're going to invite some family, you have to invite all family...and we'll pay." I said fine - if that's what you want. Even though he offered to pay, I still couldn't let him pay for everything. So I'm financing 45% of the costs (which is a stretch on my pocket book) of this huge wedding - 99% being my family . Now, my dad is having to make huge decisions about whether he should stay at work or find a new job - which as a result - may affect the finances of the wedding. Great.

So that's that...thus far. I know all will come out okay in the end and I've read other horror stories of the wedding planning process and mine seem miniscule to those. I just had to really vent. Thanks for listening. lol

Oh and reading other wedding woes might lift my spirits some (as morbid as that may sound lol). So feel free to share...

Met: November 19, 2010
    Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
    Made it official: April 29, 2011
    Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
    Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
    Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
    K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
    Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
    Got married: September 22, 2012

My biggest problem with the wedding has to do with my future mother in law.
    The UK is changing their visa rules beginning July 9th, and my fiance and I are going to be affected by them. If we waited until May, we wouldn't meet all the requirements so we've decided to elope in November. We're still going to have the big ceremony in May as we've planned. The only change is that we'll already be married at that point in time. This would have all been avoided if we had gotten married in January like we originally planned. However his mother threw a big fit, and we decided to wait so that his family could be there. Which is the main reason why we were going to wait to get married in May. Well now because of the visa rule changes, we can't afford to wait that long. His mother is threatening to boycott the May ceremony because she sees no point in coming to the US since we'll already be married.
    She's willing to come to the States though for her other daughter-in-law's sister's university graduation, but she doesn't want come to see her oldest son's wedding? That's just messed up.
    I hope your wedding plans go smoothly here on out.
    "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
    Made it official: September 17, 2010
    Got engaged: January 15, 2012
    Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
    Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
    Got married: November 21, 2012
    Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
    Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Kudos to you for planning a wedding miles away! I don't think I could handle it. And I'm pretty lucky to have a somewhat understanding future MIL. Though my fiance says she drives him nuts sometimes asking stuff about the wedding lol She's actually making our wedding cake...and shipping it from England to Texas! That's got me a little nervous but I guess we'll see how it goes.

Good luck on your wedding planning!

Met: November 19, 2010
      Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
      Made it official: April 29, 2011
      Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
      Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
      Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
      K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
      Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
      Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

princessmeg- what are the new visa rules coming into effect? :S

Comment

My wedding woes- I am in a similar situation to princessmeg- 2 weddings. We're already married, but we're going over to the UK next summer for our big wedding. Which means all his immediate family are coming over. Now I live in the North, and I've told them all a million times that getting flights out of different airports, transport up and down the country, and staying in London itself is VERY expensive, and there are PLENTY of things to see up North, but his Grandparents are insisting on going to London.

My father-in-law has taken my advice, and is planning on staying up North and see everything up there, but the Grandparents are trying to pressure them to go to London because there are frightened to go by themselves. AND! They are trying to get me to plan it! I'm planning a wedding from another country, and I am happy to give advice, but when people choose not to take it and try make me plan something else? NO! I am NOT planning a wedding, honeymoon and 3 sets of people's vacations at the same time. I have enough to do!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
          <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
          The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
          <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
          <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
          Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
          Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captivated View Post
            Kudos to you for planning a wedding miles away!
            Good luck on your wedding planning!
            I'm planning the wedding here in Texas. Good luck on your wedding planning too!

Originally posted by toggle View Post
            princessmeg- what are the new visa rules coming into effect? :S
            Here's a link: https://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s.../15-family-mig
            Good luck with this new information! I know that it's screwed us over.
            "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
            Made it official: September 17, 2010
            Got engaged: January 15, 2012
            Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
            Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
            Got married: November 21, 2012
            Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
            Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Working...
            X