No announcement yet.

Wedding Vows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love for us to write our own vows and have given some thought to it already. I still need to discuss it with my fiance. I'm not sure whether we'll write them together to make sure they flow or if we will get someone else to read them beforehand. However, after reading this thread, I really like the idea of love letters that CaptainKaz mentioned and sticking with more traditional vows. Good thing I have time to think about this.

Originally posted by CaptainKaz View Post
    We won't really get the opportunity to write/read our own vows in the quick little ceremony we're having, but I read in some news article somewhere (maybe even linked to on this site?) about a tradition in some country where couples write letters to each other just before they get married - when, in theory, they're the most in love - and keep them in case they ever run into tough relationship times in the future. Idea is to break out the letters, read them, and remember why you fell in love and got married in the first place. I love this idea, and it'll make up for the fact we don't get the chance to have our own vows.

Comment

Unfortunately, I won't get the chance to...even though that was the part I was looking really forward to. We're both Catholic, and it has to be the wedding vows the church says. I was steamed when I found out. I'm very much a person who likes to add her personal touch to things. I was heart broken when I found out I couldn't at my own wedding. ;(

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainKaz View Post
        We won't really get the opportunity to write/read our own vows in the quick little ceremony we're having, but I read in some news article somewhere (maybe even linked to on this site?) about a tradition in some country where couples write letters to each other just before they get married - when, in theory, they're the most in love - and keep them in case they ever run into tough relationship times in the future. Idea is to break out the letters, read them, and remember why you fell in love and got married in the first place. I love this idea, and it'll make up for the fact we don't get the chance to have our own vows.
        I love this idea!

First Met Online: October 2010
        First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
        Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
        First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
        Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
        Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
        Engaged!: June 1, 2013
        Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

Originally posted by Yaaamiii View Post
          Unfortunately, I won't get the chance to...even though that was the part I was looking really forward to. We're both Catholic, and it has to be the wedding vows the church says. I was steamed when I found out. I'm very much a person who likes to add her personal touch to things. I was heart broken when I found out I couldn't at my own wedding. ;(
          Im Catholic too I know some people will have the church wedding and say the church vows (which are beautiful but I understand wanting to write your own!) and then write their own vows to recite at the reception. Its a little different since you arent at the church anymore but its a possibility!

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
          Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
          Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
          Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
          Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

I dont understand...? Im Catholic and at the weddings I've been to, the couple always reads something to each other first. Then they say the same church vows everyone else does. But reading their personal vows to each other has always been a part of the ceremony and it always makes me cry =3. Is that just dependent on the church you're being married at or are things much more traditional outside the US?
            My SO and I are from different religions so I don't think thats gonna come into play at all. He is a much better writer than I am but I still want us to write our own vows. I think its a beautiful time to share with god and everyone just how crazy you are about each other.

Comment

We are both Catholic as well. I was born and raised; he converted last Easter. Even before he converted we both had no interest in writing our own vows. We like to keep the deep emotional side of our relationship private and we are both easily embarrassed. Traditional vows are good for us.
              ". . . We obviously have to come to accept it, but that doesn't stop it from gnawing at us day by day.
              The best we can do is enjoy our time together, anticipate our reunions, and remain passionate and loyal through distance." ~Mike <3

~*~11.21.2010~*~

Comment

Working...
              X