Seeing Each Other Before the Ceremony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing Each Other Before the Ceremony?

What do you guys think? I kind of want to see my SO before the ceremony so we can get the pictures out of the way (I don't want to miss any of our party, lol!) and because then we'd be able to pray together.

Do you believe that it's bad luck for the groom to see the bride in her dress before the ceremony? Do you want/did you see each other beforehand?

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

I don't believe in bad luck, but I don't want my SO to see me till the ceremony. Mainly because we've never had the opportunity to do anything the traditional way, going through immigration and all, and this was something I really wanted to keep.

My SO's best friends saw each other before theirs, not to take pictures, or pray, but to exchange gifts. I hate that idea! Just seems impatient to me!

But if this is important to you guys, and you want to pray with each other, then I'd say go right ahead! I've seen so many cute pictures of the "first look" before the ceremony and they look so special!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

I don't think it's bad luck to see each other before the ceremony, that's an old wives tale and it's just a tradition that most people abide by. I was actually living with my SO at the time we got married, he saw my dress before the ceremony and it didn't affect the day at all. It was the best day & night of my life.....

At the end of the day it's up to you whether you stick by these traditions......

Started Writing - February 2010
      First Visit - September 2010
      Second Visit - June 2011
      Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
      Our Wedding Day - April 2012
      Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
      NOA1 - July 2012
      NOA2 - December 2012
      Fourth Visit - December 2012
      Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

I don't think it's bad luck. But I think I'll make my SO wait... mas o menos. Like we'll be getting ready together in our little train caboose () but I probably won't put on my dress until we get to where ever it is we'll get married. So I suppose he won't see the ''full look'' until I walk down ''an aisle''. He has already seen me in my dress though!

Comment

I definitely don't want to see my SO before the wedding. I want to see the look on his face as I walk down the aisle looking all bridely.

Comment

Another who doesn't believe in bad luck and, as nice as tradition is, I'm not particularly worried about that either. I sort of want to see each other before the ceremony to do pictures, but nothing is set yet. We'll just have to see how it comes together.

Comment

I want that first =O moment when he sees me all dressed up to be down the isle. For no reason other than preserving that first reaction for such a special time.

Comment

We'll probably be in the same care driving to the court house, soooo....

I'll make the effort of not getting dressed in the same room as him, though :P
                I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I don't want my SO to see me in my dress before the ceremony. I think I'd be fine spending the morning with him and helping him and stuff, but I don't want to see him all dressed up or vice versa until I walk in. Pretty much what Belle said-- I want that reaction to be pure and perfect. haha.
                  Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                  Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                  Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

This is something that I can't figure out what I want when the time comes. Originally I wanted to wait to see each other because of the tradition and I love traditions, but then I came across the article linked below and I can't decide. Thankfully I have awhile before I have to make these decisions, but maybe the article will help you make up your mind! Good luck

https://thethingswewouldblog.blogspo...wednesday.html

sigpic

Comment

I know I commented earlier with regards to me not thinking it's bad luck to see each other before you take your vows, I do somewhat wish that we would have done it the traditional way. I didn't have much choice in the matter down to money etc but I would have liked to have felt the nerves and anticipation a bride would get when approaching the aisle. Just feel like as I'm older it wasn't quite apt to do it the way you should when your young.....that may sound wrong but once you get past the age of 40 it doesn't quite feel right doing it that way....

Started Writing - February 2010
                      First Visit - September 2010
                      Second Visit - June 2011
                      Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
                      Our Wedding Day - April 2012
                      Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
                      NOA1 - July 2012
                      NOA2 - December 2012
                      Fourth Visit - December 2012
                      Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

My fiance and I have decided not to see each other before the big day. I'm very traditional, and it's something I've always wanted to do. My sister did the first look pictures when she got married, and they came out beautifully. It's just not what I want to do for my big day.
                        "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                        Made it official: September 17, 2010
                        Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                        Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                        Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                        Got married: November 21, 2012
                        Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                        Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I don't believe it's bad luck to see each other before the wedding.

We debated on waiting (for the fun "tradition" of it) until he saw me walk down the aisle, but we realized it would be a lot easier, timeline-wise, to take most of our wedding party photographs before the wedding. So, yes, he did see me before the ceremony. We had our "alone moment" (other than the photographers, ha ha) where he saw me for the first time, though. It was very special to us.
                          My heart belongs to a pilot!
                          ~*~
                          ~*~
                          [/center]

Comment

I love the photos of the groom seeing the bride for the first time when she walks down the aisle. I think it's an adorable, pure moment. I know I always look at the groom's face rather than the bride when she first comes out - I love seeing the surprise and the obvious love.

I would love to do this. I want to pray with my future husband before the ceremony but I don't want him to actually see me. I've seen couples do this by standing on opposite sides of a door, having the groom be blindfolded, or like the picture by being around a corner. I think it's adorable

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                            Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                            Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                            Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                            Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

I think bad luck is a crock of shit But, I did make sure he didn't "see" me that day, before the ceremony... even though we slept side by side the night before!
                              I hid under the sheet (even took a phone call there lol) until he got his pants on and left to pick up the wedding bus. I didn't peek at him either.

On his part, when my team arrived at the ceremony, he didn't look over (even though everyone else did!) until it was "time" for him to see me.

It was beautiful. He nearly cried. <3

But really it's about what works for you. I don't think there's really a solid reason not to see or speak to each other, so if that's your preference do it! But, on the other hand, praying alone might be something you need to do that morning. It is a big transition in your life, and I don't know how it works in your religion, but in mine at least the prayers for men and women for their transitions/rites of passage are a little different.
                              Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Working...
                              X