Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you reply when someone asks you how long you have been together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do you reply when someone asks you how long you have been together?

This is a common question a lot of people ask when they find out I am in a serious relationship and planning a wedding, I just went to church to ask for information about the religious ceremony and the priest asked me that question among other similar ones actually, when it's long distance, specially if you met online and have met in person but have not closed the distance for good it is hard to answer!

Being really strict and honest, in my case is going to sound like this if everything goes as planned:
    We became a couple after 2 days we met in person and then 5months later we got engaged and moved in together, 2.5months after that we legally married and 6 months after that we went through the religious ceremony and celebration right on our first anniversary.
    Sounds fast no? but if you check my timeline we were actually a couple of slowpokes not realizing we were right for each other after almost 3 years, so once we did, we really didn't want to waste any more time.

How do you guys reply to these sort of questions?

Personally I feel a bit silly saying I got into a relationship after only a couple of days like I was throwing myself at some stranger haha, but at the same time I can't bring myself to consider it a relationship if we had not met in person.

I guess it's not really important, I was just curious

i haven't met SO yet, but provided all goes well, I'd add the time we spend without having met eachother.. this isn't nothing, and even though it's not exactly a bona fide romantic relationship, it is some sort of relationship.. the feelings are there, we're doing most of the things a couple would normally do and we'd be together if we could... so I don't see why I this time wouldn't count at all...

Comment

How long you have been together? From the day you became a couple to the present day, simple ok you haven't been physically together all that time but you have been in a relationship all that time, been faithful to each other all that time. so it stands. in my book anyway

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
      2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
      3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
      4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
      5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
      6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
      7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
      Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
      UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

Originally posted by MattDavies86 View Post
        How long you have been together? From the day you became a couple to the present day, simple
        I agree with this!

Comment

Originally posted by MattDavies86 View Post
          How long you have been together? From the day you became a couple to the present day, simple
          I second this
          “The ties that binds us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply… meant to be.” - Grey’s Anatomy

>Little Box<

Comment

As soon as we made it official, until today, is the amount of time I consider being together. Even though the past 3 years we havent been 100% physically together, but in my heart- that's what counts! I don't care what anyone else says. I know that I love this man, and he has been mine for 3 years. Therefore, we have been together for 3 years! haha. Don't let what other people might think bother you!

Comment

Originally posted by Em22 View Post
              As soon as we made it official, until today, is the amount of time I consider being together.
              This.

When I'm asked how long we've been together I just tell them how long since we've made it official. I think it would be to tedious and a little silly to either say how long I've actually known him or how long we've physically been together.

Met Online: 02/2012
              Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
              First Met in person: 09/22/2012
              Started Dating: 10/30/2012
              Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

We didn't go "official" and consider ourselves a couple til we met in person either, so that's just shy of five years of time flirting/being best friends/being intimate online that now simply don't count, and yeah that can be annoying. Especially during my first visit there.

Them: "So how long have you been together"
                Me: "Oh about a week and three days now"

Aaaanyway, then we got married and now people don't ask how long we've been together they say "how long have you been married?" so the three years of dating in now moot too haha.

But like, who cares? I just answer whatever is technically correct. If people want my life story, then I flesh it out a bit and tell them about what came before. I figure it's not a competition and I don't care what they think anyway
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Working...
                X