What do you think about promise rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think about promise rings?
    I think promise rings can be for any promise. The opinion changes with different people, I'm sure, especially those who see them as a religious gift. My best friend's parents even gave her a promise ring once. I guess that means I am "pro-promise ring". That anyone can give one so long as they are true to the promise they are making.

Do you think they need a specific promise?
    I do, actually. Any gift of jewelery from one person to another is special--but one that was given for a specific reason has an air of sacredness to it. Not only is it a precious metal, but it has a precious sentimental value to it. I gave a promise ring to my SO as a promise to be faithful and he gave one to me for a different promise: to show he's willing to put forth the effort to stay close.

Could any ring be considered a promise ring?
    As long as the person giving it considers it to be a promise ring, yes. Although the ring I gave my SO and the ring he gave me were a tad expensive for the typical promise ring, I know others who have given a cheap ring with no precious metals or stones and the sentimental value was not changed at all. In fact, a large reason my SO and I gave more expensive rings was so they'd have less chance of accidental breaking.

Are they like engagement rings?
    Yes and no. If someone who gives a promise ring wants it to be like a "pre-engagement" ring it should be so.

Comment

I've been thinking of some gesture I could make before I move to the States to show my boyfriend that I really mean it when I say that I know the LDR will work for us and that I will be loyal and stay with him until we can reunite. I'm not quite ready to get engaged, although we have been going out for a few years. I don't want to get engaged before we've lived together for a few months, cause I think that transition could really change our relationship.
      I had never heard of these promise rings until just now, and I think it's exactly the right thing for me. I think I might get him one for our 4th anniversary in August, which will also be around the time I move back to the States for college.

Comment

hmm.. lets see:

My SO and I both got rings at my last visit. Her's has 2 diamonds in it, and mine also has diamonds on the band. We were looking for rings where we could get our birthstones in eachothers rings.. but she didn't like the styles they had for women. We consider them engagement rings- YES, i have one too! We figure this: our relationship, being long distance..has not been very...., "traditional" so why start now? lol her ring is beautiful- but would fall more under the "promise ring" category, but she LOVED the ring and would not part with it.. so i got it for her. She said she didn't want the "typical" engagement ring because EVERYONE has a ring that follows the same pattern- and shes very right about that ( although i'd like to get her a nice big rock).

BUT.. we have told our families they are only promise rings (yes, we were them on our wedding fingers tho). Our friends know we are engaged.. but we don't even know eachothers families in full yet..and we know they would throw fits if they really knew- so we are waiting till we live together in the upcoming year.

I think promise rings are really cute- but.... i also think if ur willing to make a "promise" you should be ready to spend your life with that person and actually make commitments. If they are bought just to keep someone around(which a lot of guys do), i think they are pointless... so really, just do the real thing and just make it an engagement!! But to each their own, i guess!

Comment

What do you think about promise rings? I think they are silly.

Do you think they need a specific promise? No

Could any ring be considered a promise ring? n/a since I don't believe in them

Are they like engagement rings?
          no! You either are engaged or you aren't. I don't understand the in between.....

Comment

What do you guys think of giving a promise ring to your boyfriend?? is it too girly for a guy or do you think hell like it??

Comment

Originally posted by RyanJr View Post
              we have told our families they are only promise rings (yes, we were them on our wedding fingers tho). Our friends know we are engaged.. but we don't even know eachothers families in full yet..and we know they would throw fits if they really knew- so we are waiting till we live together in the upcoming year.
              This is the only situation I can imagine a promise ring being useful. Interestingly enough, promise rings used to be what "purity rings" are now. They were a promise to save yourself for marriage. Now that they've become...a promise to get engaged? I don't really see the point of them anymore. Like some of you have said, if you're promising to get engaged, just get engaged.

As for promise rings being for other promises, I don't believe in having a ring to prove you'll keep a promise that you made. That said I'm not much of a ring person in general, so that might factor in. :P

"You know it's love when you want to keep holding hands even after you're sweaty."
              -- Anonymous

Comment

We call them commitment rings in Australia. My SO gave me one when I was 16 or 17, waaayyy to early for us to get enagaged. It was more like "heres a pretty ring to show you how much I love you" and he has one too.
                I wouldn't understand older couples getting them - they really are a young couple thing. It was just a way for us to show our love to each other - and on our hand is a constant reminder.
                Plus now when I go clubbing with my friends without him, I swap it onto my left handto get men to leave me alone - it's like insect repellant!! i love it lol!

Comment

Originally posted by wyerbl View Post
                  What do you guys think of giving a promise ring to your boyfriend?? is it too girly for a guy or do you think hell like it??
                  I think that a girl can give a promise ring to a boy. I personally wouldn't do that until he got me one. That's just how I am though. I have one from him but still haven't gotten him one He's not a jewelry person at all so I don't know if he would wear it. haha

Comment

I posted this in my thread today about my promise ring but wanted to share with others here!

"Dating from AD 1576, shows a promise ring being given, demonstrating that the tradition existed at that early date. In those days, when a man could not afford to get married, he would often give his intended bride a promise ring as a placeholder until marriage became possible."

I believe promise rings can be any promise you want it to

"A promise ring symbolizes a promise or commitment between two people. Promise rings can be given for almost any type of promise made and need not be limited to promises made for engagement or weddings."
                    Join the Photography Group Today!

Comment

Working...
                    X