Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you kind of know a proposal would come eventually? Was he saving up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you kind of know a proposal would come eventually? Was he saving up?

I know for a fact that my boyfriend and I will marry one day. There's no doubt in my mind and he even told me that his first step Is to save up money for a ring and other things. For me it's just a matter of patience and enjoying our relationship one day at a time til he's ready. Did you kind of already know that a proposal would come sooner or later. . It was just a matter of time? And were there any hints to when? I'd love to know

You really want to get engaged, huh?

Comment

Yeah but I'm willing to wait a while before we get engaged. We both feel we need to be financially stable first. I just enjoy hearing other people's stories

Comment

I don't regard engagement as an "institution"

To me, if you are in a committed relationship and have openly discussed getting married eventually, you are already engaged. Having him give you a ring while on one knee is just "folklore" and shouldn't come as a surprise at all. Having him spend thousands on a diamond ring, unless he can easily afford to, is also stupid in my own opinion.

You asked, didn't you?
        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

^ Posted under the influence.
          I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I know that my boyfriend will propose after I graduate from university. We have talked about it and yes, since we both know it will happen in my mind we are already engaged, like TwoThree said. We talk about things like "when we get married we need to start looking into life insurance" and practical things like that. But that's just between us. To other people, we won't be engaged until a year from now.

We've also agreed that we don't need a huge, expensive engagement ring. There are many other things I'd rather we spend the money on... so when he proposes the only surprise will be how he does it
            So, here you are
            too foreign for home
            too foreign for here.
            Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

No I didn't even ask him. He told me what his plans are for now as far as money goes. We both know well marry we just both want to wait and get more stable

Comment

I've got to side with LB with this one.

I know you are "certain" that you & your man are going to get married. But you didn't answer my question on the other thread you started about people getting engaged.... I'll paste it here for you, since you seem to be responding to this thread now.
                Pasted from the "how long was it before you got engaged thread":
                OP, haven't you said like, 1400 times (I realize that's an exaggeration) that you're "too young" and "not ready for marriage" ? I have to ask because I feel like all you post about (or at least all of the posts I see from you) are about getting engaged. I understand you're excited, trust me, I know the feeling. But, I only bring it up because my SO & I had a conversation about this actually just last night, and how if a girl bugs a guy about it, often times he's less likely to do it because he's feeling pressured. So, my point here is that I hope you are just asking LFAD these questions right now - which, don't get me wrong, they're good questions to ask - and not really bugging him about it. Just a thought, since my SO has confessed that he was a little annoyed with me that I kept bringing it up.
                ETA: I didn't actually finish my thought... I was certain I was going to marry my high school sweetheart. We broke up after 3 years. And then I was certain I was going to marry this other guy, and we were together a year and a half. And this other guy... and another guy.... Anyway. Not trying to say that you won't marry him, just, I think it would behoove you to chillax.
                Last edited by lyonsgirl; June 21, 2013, 08:07 PM.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
                  I've got to side with LB with this one.

I know you are "certain" that you & your man are going to get married. But you didn't answer my question on the other thread you started about people getting engaged.... I'll paste it here for you, since you seem to be responding to this thread now.
                  Pasted from the "how long was it before you got engaged thread":

ETA: I didn't actually finish my thought... I was certain I was going to marry my high school sweetheart. We broke up after 3 years. And then I was certain I was going to marry this other guy, and we were together a year and a half. And this other guy... and another guy.... Anyway. Not trying to say that you won't marry him, just, I think it would behoove you to chillax.
                  I would really listen to what lyons said Katie. I have dealt with feeling overwhelmed because my GF wants to be engaged and I don't think that I'm ready for that yet. Just as a FYI, PLEASE don't ever overwhelm your SO with talks about being engaged. He will be ready whenever he is ready and until then, you should really try to calm down and just focus on your relationship. Engagement can come later.

Comment

I agree with Lyons and Tooki. I have seen your countless posts about getting engaged as of late and you haven't even been with your SO 6 months minimum yet. I just hope like Lyons said that you aren't pressuring your SO with all of this. I also would like to add that maybe you shouldn't get your hopes so high. There are no certainties in life when it comes to anything and I would hate for you to get your hopes high and your sights set on this as hard as you have just for it to come crashing down. I'm not trying to say that it will,I'm just saying be careful that you don't set yourself up for disappointments. You haven't really been together long enough to really know for certain if you're going to get married yet. Life happens,circumstances change,and people change anything can happen.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
                    Back Together: August 1,2012
                    First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
                    Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
                    Engaged: January 17,2013
                    Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
                    Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
                    We Got Married! - July 3,2014
                    SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
                    Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
                      I don't regard engagement as an "institution"

To me, if you are in a committed relationship and have openly discussed getting married eventually, you are already engaged. Having him give you a ring while on one knee is just "folklore" and shouldn't come as a surprise at all. Having him spend thousands on a diamond ring, unless he can easily afford to, is also stupid in my own opinion.

You asked, didn't you?
                      Wrong. It's all about a big expensive ring, engagement parties with gifts, posting on Facebook and a giant show. You obviously have no clue to how engagements work!

^^ not posted under the influence cuz I still can't drink! Ah!

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                        Wrong. It's all about a big expensive ring, engagement parties with gifts, posting on Facebook and a giant show. You obviously have no clue to how engagements work!

^^ not posted under the influence cuz I still can't drink! Ah!
                        Drank for you. Stop ruining me.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

My boyfriend had said he wants to marry me and we've constructed a plan to make it happen. He actually asked "Do you want to marry me one day?" And I said "Sure! When I'm 30" I don't know if that will happen and obviously we've had real talks but things happen, people change and opportunities present themselves.

Comment

I actually did know a proposal would happen at some point after our one year anniversary I don't think focus should be on a ring though. I told my boy that I wanted a ring that showed he knew my personality.
                            So my engagement ring is the one ring from Lord of the Rings because it's my favorite movie.

First Met Online: October 2010
                            First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
                            Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
                            First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
                            Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
                            Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
                            Engaged!: June 1, 2013
                            Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

I pretty much knew the proposal was happening soon. He kept dropping hints - I would then run onto LFAD and be like "OMG HE SAID THIS" and freak out :P

He saved up secretly for the trip and ring by working crazy amounts of overtime and limiting his other spending. I knew he was working overtime but I thought he was saving for other things.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                              Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                              Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                              Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                              Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Working...
                              X