No announcement yet.

Does it irk you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hyphenated my maiden name and his last name, so honestly, people can call me either and I wouldn't mind
    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

This isn't really about last names, but has to do with being identified by your husband slash sexism. When I got Malian nationality and went to get my national id card, there is a section where they put your address and mine reads:

[Neighborhood]
      [Street #] [Door #]
      At the home of her husband, [husband's first and last name]

I was like..."Say what? That's my house. How do you know that I'm not the one paying for it?" They said that it doesn't matter...they either put that you live at your father's house or your husband's house.

Comment

Welcome to Sharia law, Mlle. You are forever a minor, even when you're 60.
        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Okay this is getting off topic, but one of my friends recently went to apply for CAJA (national healthcare) and they asked what his profession was. He said the equivalent of "house husband" (he doesn't work, his wife does). And they got all confused and in the end refused to give it to him because it's okay for a woman to not work, but not okay for a man to not work.

Comment

In the Philippines, the women get to keep their last name and turns them into their middle name. :P

[First Name] [Wife's last name] [Husband's Last name]

So for example:

Joanna Rivers is your maiden name, you become
            Joanna Rivers Wooden (Wooden is your husband's last name) OR more popularly formatted like this:

Joanna R. Wooden

It's a cool way for us to still keep our last names even if we're married :P

Comment

Working...
            X