No announcement yet.

On which hand do you wear your ring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a ring from my grandmother for my 18th birthday, and my mom was there as well when we were picking one. I asked if it should be on the left or right, and she said left because the right hand is for your wedding ring. I believe it has something to do with catholic vs. protestant traditions. Let me look it up.

In other countries such as Germany, Greece, Russia, Spain, India, Colombia, Venezuela, and Poland, however, it is worn on the right hand. Orthodox Christians and Eastern Europeans also traditionally wear the wedding band on the right hand. Jewish couples wear the wedding ring on the left hand, even though it is placed on the right hand during the marriage ceremony. In The Netherlands, Catholic people wear it on the left, all others on the right; in Austria, Catholic people wear it on the right. In Belgium, the choice of hand depends on the region of the country.

Comment

I was meeting up with a couple friends a few years ago and somehow we got to talking about rings. I'm not sure why, but I blindly thought rings always went on the RIGHT hand, because in my religion (Greek Orthodox), that's the hand you wear your wedding ring on, and for some reason I thought this was a universal truth. It wasn't until that discussion that I realized the majority of people wear the ring on their left hand here in the states, and we were the odd ones out!

Anyway, right now I'm wearing my ring on my right hand, but I think I'd prefer to wear it on my left because I'm right handed and use that hand for more things, which puts the ring in more adverse situations. I'm stuck between tradition and comfort.
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I wear my engagement ring on the left ring finger and when I'm married I will wear the wedding ring on the same finger, combined with the engagement ring (:
        as far as I know that's the most traditional way to do it and that's what I'm aiming for, everyone should see I'm engaged to the most amazing man <3

Comment

I wear my engagement ring on my left hand. Once we get married I will wear my wedding band on my left hand closest to my heart and then my engagement ring on top of it. My engagement ring doesn't even right on my right hand since my right ring finger is bigger than my left ring finger. My SO plans to wear his wedding band on his left hand.

My grandparents are from the Netherlands. They wear their wedding rings on their right hand. It used to confuse me so much!

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
          Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
          Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
          Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
          Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

I'm the same as most here, I wear my engagement ring on my left hand, and will also wear my wedding band on the left as well, behind my engagement ring. No particular reason, that's just what I've always seen married couples do. Plus I'm right handed and it's a pain to wear rings on my right hand. I wish my fingers on both hands were closer in size, my fiance asked what my ring size was before he proposed and I told him 7 because that's the size of my high school class ring which still fits, and my engagement ring ended up being too big. My left ring finger is a size 5 and my right ring finger is a 7 XD I'm a freak!
            sigpic
            Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
            Our first LDR ~ August 2009
            Closed the distance ~ January 2011
            He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
            Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
            He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
            Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
            Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Left hand.....
              NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

I'm one of the few who wears my wedding ring on my right hand. That's where we wear it in Denmark. When I'm in Japan I switch the ring to my left hand. My SO also switch the ring according to whether he's here in Denmark or Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by milaya View Post
                  I'm one of the few who wears my wedding ring on my right hand. That's where we wear it in Denmark. When I'm in Japan I switch the ring to my left hand. My SO also switch the ring according to whether he's here in Denmark or Japan.
                  Continental Europeans unit!
                  It's cute that you switch your rings, but I'd never be able to do that. I'd either lose the ring or cut off the blood from my ringer

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Left hand

Comment

Left hand. Not sure what to do about the engagement ring. I have it on my right hand now..i'd like to put it on the same finger with the wedding ring, but because of the way the engagement ring is designed, I am afraid it will "scratch" the wedding ring. Also.. i am tempted to not wear it because i am afraid I'll lose it.

Comment

Engagement and marriage rings belong on the ring finger of the left hand. This is because there is a vein that connects directly from the ring finger of the left hand to the heart. So it's the "love finger"

Adorable huh!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by angelamontijo View Post
                          Engagement and marriage rings belong on the ring finger of the left hand. This is because there is a vein that connects directly from the ring finger of the left hand to the heart. So it's the "love finger"

Adorable huh!!
                          There is no direct vein that goes straight from your left ring finger to your heart. Back in the day, the Romans believed this to be true and called it the "vena amori". Technically all veins go to your heart. But there is no direct vein from your ring finger to your heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
                            Continental Europeans unit!
                            YAY!
                            We're too underrepresented...

Well from September next year I'll join the left hand group though, since I'll move to Japan.

Comment

Working...
                            X