Bridesmaid - how to ask?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bridesmaid - how to ask?

I'm going to get married next year around October and since my fiancé is going to have a best man and 2 groomsmen I want to have a maid of honor and 2 bridesmaids.

I know I want to ask his big sister, who we are sharing an apartment with, to be my maid of honor, but I really don't know how to go about it. I'd also like to ask his 2 other sisters to be my bridesmaids. My future brother-in-law told me that there might be a conflict if I don't make all sisters the same, but since I live with his big sister and we see each other every day and talk every day I feel much closer to her than the others, whom I see once every one or two weeks.

I'm not a very outspoken person, rather introverted, so I thought about getting each a little something like a bracelet, or a cheesy ring, and put it in the mailbox with a message.

So I wanted to ask you how you did it and maybe get some inspiration

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

When my friend asked me we were out for coffee and i was asking all about the engagement and planning and then she just said "i'd like you to be my bridesmaid" and I said ok. I don't think it has to be anything special.

Comment

Haha, I'm in the exact same situation! I'm gonna ask my brother to be my best man (Yeah, I don't really have a maid of honor, lol). Anyway, I also had some difficulty finding an original idea to ask him. Currently he's studying abroad, so I thought it'd be cute/original to make some sort of scavenger hunt with clues to make him find out I want him to be my best man when he gets home. My best friend is gonna be my bridesmaid (I actually consider her my maid of honor..) and I was planning to make her some cupcakes (she loves baking and cookies etc.) with clues on it.
      But your idea of a ring or bracelet is cute too! Is there maybe you two have in common or something?

Comment

The thing I learned about wedding planning is you'll NEVER keep everyone happy so if his other sisters complain then stick to your guns and do what is best for YOU.

Comment

Maybe it's because I'm German (but then again, you're Austrian, so our cultures shouldn't be that different), but I don't really see why this is such a big deal. Just talk to them and when the subject of the wedding comes up, say, "By the way, would you like to be my bridesmaid/maid of honor?" or "I've been thinking about who I'd like to be my bridesmaids, and I'd love to have you and [sisters]." or just "Bridesmaids. Wanna be one?" It's not like you're asking for their hand in marriage.
          first met in 2008 -- started talking online again in 2011 -- decided to go on a date in 2012 -- actually started dating on our first visit in August 2013 --
          second visit in February 2014 -- third visit in June 2014 -- fourth visit in September 2014

Comment

There are plenty of "will you be my bridesmaid?" cards out there, if you're too shy to outright ask

I asked my little sister-in-law in person, and my other bridesmaid... I actually don't remember asking her, I think it was just assumed from the beginning lol The only drama I had was my sister bitching about not being asked (we do NOT get along), but I don't live in the same country so I didn't have to hear it. If the other sisters get upset, that's their own problem- just hold your ground and have your SO back you up.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
            <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
            The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
            <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
            <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
            Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
            Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thank you so much for the input ladies

80anthea and nicole, you're right! I don't want to make them all my maid of honors or all bridesmaids since his big sister is really, really close to me so I will just stick to my opinion and hope the other two are fine with it and if not, I'm sure my man will back me up!

snow_girl and Anoulie, I do agree that if I had to pick a witness it would be much different and I would just straight out ask, but having bridesmaids and a maid of honor feels kind of different (more special?) and that's why I wanted to know if asking would be fine or if having a bigger thing would be more appropriate.

Karlijin92, I wish my family would come, because I'd love to have my twin be my maid of honor, but she flat out told me she won't be attending before I even brought it up :P You're lucky!!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
              Married: 1/24/2015
              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Working...
              X