No announcement yet.

Marrying to stay together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both my SO and I are 100% for marrying for a visa. We've already talked about marriage, in its own right, before. While I could be more prepared for getting married (having a stable job, free of student debt etc.), if we could close the distance with a marriage licence right now, I'd do it in a heart beat. If we were close distance, I'd be quite happy "living in sin" with him for the rest of my life (common-law relationships in Canada are granted all the rights marriage does), I'd just call him my husband anyways.

To answer MissButterfly's question, overall, I do think people who've only ever been in CDRs are more likely to recoil at the idea of marrying for the benefits. LDRs usually come with a time-crunch and/or a promise of spending a future together. Hard to do the distance without those things. I'd bet it's equally as rare to see marriages solely for the benefits in CDR and LDR couples, but I think LDRs have a higher acceptance of getting married slightly sooner (compared to a CDR going at the same relationship-pace). I hope that made sense!

Slightly OT: To add to the list of reasons to marry for visas outside LDRs, I'd include modern arranged marriages. It's a fairly common story in my family (South Asian) for parents to look overseas for a "suitable" bride/husband and then bring them together with a marriage. Two of my older cousins went this route. Personally, I find it terrifying, but they seem happy. I say "modern" arranged marriages since the couple do get to know each other, a lot like LDRs really. Mother was fairly calm about me revealing I was dating someone so far away, but she freaked the hell out that he was Mexican .
    Last edited by CanadianGirl; November 13, 2013, 09:01 AM.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

We actually just did this. It was necessary in order for our relationship to progress as we need to go through the visa process for him to live in my country. It was our best option. We would have married regardless, though. We have been in a relationship for a year and have known each other for two years. He visits as frequently as he can, so we spent plenty of time together before marrying.

Comment

Working...
      X