Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should you wait before you propose to someone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until you know what the answer is going to be.

Comment

I think there is no real rule of when is best time and worst time to get engaged or married, every couple is different, I know couples who waited only months, I know couples who waited years and they have been all different ages ranging from in their 20s, 30s, 40s whatever, the only time I think is not a good idea to get married is when a teenager like 16-18 years old, as I believe they don't really know what they want at that age and they should focus on their studies and having fun with friends and family, enjoy their teen years while they can, being just kids.

I know before I met my SO I used to agree I wanted to wait at least a year or two before getting married and starting a family, but when I met him I just knew it is meant to be and we both felt the same way to get engaged after just months, we would be married now if we weren't waiting for the fiance visa process to be completed.

I believe when you find your true love you just know that you feel ready and excited and happy for all the future together, no matter what! I don't mean in the sense of ignoring flaws, I mean despite the flaws you still love them for who they are and everything about them, that really they become perfectly imperfect.

I feel I can completely be myself with my Fiance and talk about everything and anything, which I rarely do with anyone else as he is my rock and my best friend and my everything!

Anyway back on topic, I think probably it is better to get married in your 20s or 30s, most of all when you feel ready and yes I do agree it is important to be responsible like to have ideas and future plans for work, where to live and groceries and bills etc.

But at the same time when you know in your heart and mind that everything feels right I believe you have got to take the chance and be spontaneous, I don't see it as risks though, but taking steps in positive ways for your future and for me it means moving to America to close the distance.
      Last edited by vicks5721; January 17, 2015, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I think it's better to wait until you KNOW the person you want to spend your life with, but that's different for every couple. My fiance proposed to me after being together for a year, but we have only been together in person for about 2 months.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
          Until you know what the answer is going to be.
          I agree with you, lucybelle.

I admit, I'm 21. And I'm of the opinion that if, a few months down the line I'd be in my SO's arms, and got a proposal within that duration of time, I would say yes. Why? Because you just KNOW. You can't fully explain the timings of things, but they're just... right. The moment is appropriate. It is different for everyone.

I know a girl who's been married to her love for 3 years, she's 21 and he's 22, they've got a beautiful baby boy together, and they've been together for almost 10 years. They were only 18 when they got married, but the way he looks at her... you can tell he's deeply in love. And the way she looks back at him? You can tell those emotions are returned.

There is no real right and wrong time.

It's individual to us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Honour View Post
            There is no real right and wrong time.

It's individual to us all.
            THIS. In total agreement.
            "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Usually, I would say nothing less than a year, but at the same time...it really depends on you and your SO. If you guys feel you are ready, and you are, do what you want. Just make sure you have everything straightened out. Like finances, living arrangements, etc. If there's nothing holding you back, go for it.

Comment

Working...
              X