Booking Big Entertainment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
    How about you just spend some money and take him to a city where they play and make a weekend of it. You would save like $9400
    I already did that last year, but he would absolutely die if we had him there.

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
      Your idea is really romantic and very lovely, but realistically, a K-1 visa gives you 90 days to get married and there is a LOT of things you have to count on and pay for and crazy things like these will most likely not make the cut.
      I thought we'd be fine with ~$500 yet we spent about $1000 on just the essentials (venue, food, justice of the peace and I am not counting all the things other people have payed for like my wedding gown ~$300, the cake ~$200, etc.), and please, don't forget you have to adjust your status afterwards which is $1070 dollars + taking visa pictures and other nick nacks.

Unless your parents are REALLY rich, $10,000 for an act for one night is probably not a good idea.
      Yeah... It's all just a thought. I'd just love to give him that. But yeah, we're aware of most of the visa fees. We've discussed spending more money towards a honeymoon, but I love surprises, so I dunno. Also, congrats on you getting married! That's so exciting

Comment

Originally posted by Lea-le-Lea View Post
        I'm a hard worker and determined, and a lot of other things have been falling into place as well. I just figured if booking was possible, I'd work as hard as I could to make it happen. I'm sure the idea will be out the window in a few weeks, but I was really just looking for people who had experience in the topic.

And ultimately, if I decided to follow through with it, nothing would stop me from making it happen.
        Ok well I Googled this morning. ...
        https://consequenceofsound.net/2014/...uch-itll-cost/

Looking at your tag it's Ben Folds you want so you're looking at $40,000 minimum according to the site. How long till you get married?

Comment

That is very sweet but if you cannot front the money, I think it is unfair to allow his parents to pay that. You might be a hard worker and determined but that does not mean you just say , I will make it happen if I want. If that was the case, you should be able to work hard and make that happen and pay for it yourself. Things are looking up and you have interviews, but you said you could not even get a job at McDonald's in your other thread. I am thinking you think his parents can afford it, and your SO can afford to support you, so you are fine to just say, I will get a job and pay them back, but what happens if your SO loses his job, or his parents take a financial hit? What if you are a point where you cannot put food on table? You are making assumptions about life to justifying to do as you wish.

I got married 2 months ago, I would have loved our favorite band at wedding too and my SO would have loved to flown first class to it, but I would never put us into that much debt. My SO's parents paid for our dinner in Gibraltar, it was 6 of us and just a regular restaurant. It was a sweet wonderful affordable gift from them since they also had to pay for airfare and a hotel. Should I have also asked them to give us money for a new car? A nice one will run you around 35 grand. My husband would have really loved a new car, so would I. I cannot afford one right now, but we are saving up. How is that any different? If I had, I would have been taking advantage of his parents and this is what this sounds like, and a car would last for years of practical use and not just one night of music, done and gone the next day. Champagne tastes on a beer budget will get you into trouble.

You speak job hunting in one breathe and a huge financial splurge you cannot afford and have to have his parents for, and you said they are not uber rich, these things do not add up. You also mention this is a surprise for him, and again, sounds sweet but unfair to him. You are taking money from his parents for a large sum and he has no say? You are fine to start out your marriage in debt. You have interviews lined up and you want to have bake sales. My husband has been on a hundred interviews and many looked promising, so far, no, no and more no. Once you do get a job, do you have any idea how long it will take to pay back tens of thousands of dollars? Are you okay to owe his parents that kind of money for that long? You know, whenever they need money for something, they will think of that money. Do you love your future in laws enough not to put them in that place? Have you told them how much you are thinking of spending yet?

It is sweet indeed, but naive and somewhat delusional. By all means, do it regardless, but you are doing for yourself just as much him, and you do not have the means to pay for it. Nobody can talk you out of it but you posted your stuff, so you certainly will hear advice and opinions on it, and not just in the line of direction you wanted.

Bottom line if you can't afford to pay for your own wedding be considerate and keep the expenses in check.
          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

And ultimately, if I decided to follow through with it, nothing would stop me from making it happen.

I don't doubt that you would be able to make it happen. You can do anything with will and time (and, granted, a whole lot of luck). It's not the feasibility of the thing that I question, it's whether it's reasonable or not. 10k (or more realistically 40k, as anthea said) is a lot of money. Money that could be put down towards so many things. A house. A trip around the world, anything that would have more lasting effect than a music set. I know it's supposed to be a surprise, but are you entirely certain that your SO would be happy with your decision once he figures out how much money you spent on it?

Also, speaking as someone who has met and hung out with her favourite band (more than once) sure it's great, and something that cheers me up when I'm feeling blue and that I will cherish til the day I die, but having them at something as important and intimate as my wedding would have been too distracting and definitely awkward because a wedding is about you and your partner. A band or an artist are ultimately strangers, so better it be a professional that you don't have to pay such a fortune to entertain your guests.
            I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
              That is very sweet but if you cannot front the money, I think it is unfair to allow his parents to pay that. You might be a hard worker and determined but that does not mean you just say , I will make it happen if I want. If that was the case, you should be able to work hard and make that happen and pay for it yourself. Things are looking up and you have interviews, but you said you could not even get a job at McDonald's in your other thread. I am thinking you think his parents can afford it, and your SO can afford to support you, so you are fine to just say, I will get a job and pay them back, but what happens if your SO loses his job, or his parents take a financial hit? What if you are a point where you cannot put food on table? You are making assumptions about life to justifying to do as you wish.

I got married 2 months ago, I would have loved our favorite band at wedding too and my SO would have loved to flown first class to it, but I would never put us into that much debt. My SO's parents paid for our dinner in Gibraltar, it was 6 of us and just a regular restaurant. It was a sweet wonderful affordable gift from them since they also had to pay for airfare and a hotel. Should I have also asked them to give us money for a new car? A nice one will run you around 35 grand. My husband would have really loved a new car, so would I. I cannot afford one right now, but we are saving up. How is that any different? If I had, I would have been taking advantage of his parents and this is what this sounds like, and a car would last for years of practical use and not just one night of music, done and gone the next day. Champagne tastes on a beer budget will get you into trouble.

You speak job hunting in one breathe and a huge financial splurge you cannot afford and have to have his parents for, and you said they are not uber rich, these things do not add up. You also mention this is a surprise for him, and again, sounds sweet but unfair to him. You are taking money from his parents for a large sum and he has no say? You are fine to start out your marriage in debt. You have interviews lined up and you want to have bake sales. My husband has been on a hundred interviews and many looked promising, so far, no, no and more no. Once you do get a job, do you have any idea how long it will take to pay back tens of thousands of dollars? Are you okay to owe his parents that kind of money for that long? You know, whenever they need money for something, they will think of that money. Do you love your future in laws enough not to put them in that place? Have you told them how much you are thinking of spending yet?

It is sweet indeed, but naive and somewhat delusional. By all means, do it regardless, but you are doing for yourself just as much him, and you do not have the means to pay for it. Nobody can talk you out of it but you posted your stuff, so you certainly will hear advice and opinions on it, and not just in the line of direction you wanted.

Bottom line if you can't afford to pay for your own wedding be considerate and keep the expenses in check.
              I don't expect his parents to pay for anything at all. Never did. And I'm not going to throw money down the drain if I can't afford it or see that it could be better spent in another area. I was more or less interested in other people's experiences. I've looked into it over the past couple of nights now and realize it's something I can't afford. So, I'm pretty much over it and looking at how I can surprise him with something different. And I'm not exactly a spender. I'm a dreamer who has never owned a credit card. Three years into college and I don't have any debts and I also own my own car back home. If I don't have the money, I won't spend it. And I don't spend others money either. I'm actually going into this wedding with the idea of saving. I would never have booked the entertainment unless I had cash-in-hand.

I admit I got a bit excited, but I'm far from naïve.

Comment

I don't expect his parents to pay for anything at all. Never did. And I'm not going to throw money down the drain if I can't afford it or see that it could be better spent in another area. I was more or less interested in other people's experiences. I've looked into it over the past couple of nights now and realize it's something I can't afford. So, I'm pretty much over it and looking at how I can surprise him with something different. And I'm not exactly a spender. I'm a dreamer who has never owned a credit card. Three years into college and I don't have any debts and I also own my own car back home. If I don't have the money, I won't spend it. And I don't spend others money either. I'm actually going into this wedding with the idea of saving. I would never have booked the entertainment unless I had cash-in-hand.

I admit I got a bit excited, but I'm far from naïve.
                Good to hear.
                "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X