Doesn't want to wear his wedding ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't want to wear his wedding ring

My Fiancé isn't too into the jewelry thing. He hates wearing it. He says he doesn't want to wear his wedding ring and it kind of hurts my feelings. He says he'll wear it on a chain around his neck, but I am very traditional and this just doesn't mean the same thing to me. I think he saw how upset it made me and agreed he would wear it (I think he will get used to it) but now he's looking at the ugliest rings ever! He showed me one that was copper and looked like it was pulled out of a river or survived Pompeii...... sigh.

I guess you can't win them all.

Does your husband wear his ring? If you're a guy do you wear yours?
    Why or why not?
    Last edited by OneForTheRomance; March 6, 2011, 07:40 PM.

My husband wears his ring. It's a big deal to me, but he would wear it even if I didn't care. He and I both see the rings as a silent message of our union, one we are proud to express.

Funny how the guys expect us to wear our rings, but some of them find it optional for themselves.

Comment

We had a jewelry discussion once, and my guy told me he'd never, ever wear a ring. His friend was working on a car, and his ring got caught on something, and it ripped his finger right off - Ouch!! It couldn't be re-attached, so my guy is pretty adamant about never wearing a ring. If we were to ever get married, which we probably won't (we aren't that into the idea), I'm not sure how I'd feel about it, to be honest. Maybe I'll refuse to wear one too, and see how well that goes over, ha!
      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Yea I wouldnt like him not to wear it and insist on him wearing it esp if Im wearing a ring to symbolize my love and devotion to him thats fair. That being said my SO has already told me he would have no problem wearing a ring. It would have to be a durable one though (I'm thinking tungsten or titanium), he does alot of work with his hands but when he's working with dangerous machinery I would want him to take it off then...
        " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
        Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

One option I've heard of is getting a wedding ring tattoo... the ring getting caught can be a serious issue, but it's also nice to have a constant reminder of your commitment (and a signal to other people who might be "looking" ).

Comment

Originally posted by Summer View Post
            One option I've heard of is getting a wedding ring tattoo... the ring getting caught can be a serious issue, but it's also nice to have a constant reminder of your commitment (and a signal to other people who might be "looking" ).
            Tattoos is actually what my SO want to do. Not sure I'm so into that.

Comment

Originally posted by Summer View Post
              My guy is not the tattoo type, although I have a few, and I'm also not worried about anyone out "looking", he's not that type, either I think we'd only consider marriage if we needed it for immigration to either country, so it probably doesn't matter anyway, but I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I don't like the idea of him not wearing one though.
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

My ex husband had/has a job where he really shouldn't have had a ring on. It wasn't safe. :/ He refused to take it off though. I totally objected to that, much as I wanted his ring on, on outside of work would have sufficed!

My father never wore his ring with my mother, no reason except he was a jerk about it. It hurt her. He went on to wear his ring with his second wife. Not cool.

I think tattoo's are a an interesting option, although I'm not sure I'd have the guts to go for one.

Comment

For me, I wasn't into jewelery at all (until Garnet got me a jewelery ring, which I wore, and still wear, because it's from her, and I cherish that.), but I don't see how a wedding ring could be considered jewelery? It's not like you wear it because you're wanting to make a fashion statement or something, you wear it because of the bonds made in marriage.

That being said, like others have said before me, in situations where it can be dangerous to wear the ring, such as a job, or if you have a good reason for needing to take it off, I'm not opposed to taking it off when necessary, and keeping it with you. When I worked in a deli, my boss wanted me to take off my rings because "metal is a breeding ground for bacteria". In my favor in this situation, I have deformed lower knuckles which are wider than my upper or lower part of my fingers, so I have to literally struggle and inflict pain just to get the rings off and on. I told him that I couldn't take them off because of my knuckles, he said he'd look into the policy regarding the situation, and I never heard back from him on it.

Honestly though, in the job we always washed our hands for 20 seconds with industrial grade soap, before wearing latex gloves at all times, so I figured there was no immediate epidemic. :P

Comment

I wouldn't think it'd be a big deal if he didn't want to wear it, as long as I didn't need to wear mine all the time too. I mentioned my not liking rings because I have fat and odd shaped fingers that are hard to find rings for, he said he didn't care, I'd still have to wear a wedding ring.

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                      My husband wears his ring. It's a big deal to me, but he would wear it even if I didn't care. He and I both see the rings as a silent message of our union, one we are proud to express.

Funny how the guys expect us to wear our rings, but some of them find it optional for themselves.
                      Exactly - Andy doesn't want to wear an engagement ring but he thinks I should wear it... Why is it one rule for men and another for women? Although I understand that it's not common in Britain for men to wear them but still, I find it a bit offensive that I'd wear the ring and the world would know I'm engaged but he'd have nothing to prove it.

He did say he'll wear a wedding ring so I guess I'll have to settle for that... but sometimes I wonder what he would say if when he proposes I'd say I won't wear the ring until we're married lol.

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                      We had a jewelry discussion once, and my guy told me he'd never, ever wear a ring. His friend was working on a car, and his ring got caught on something, and it ripped his finger right off - Ouch!! It couldn't be re-attached, so my guy is pretty adamant about never wearing a ring. If we were to ever get married, which we probably won't (we aren't that into the idea), I'm not sure how I'd feel about it, to be honest. Maybe I'll refuse to wear one too, and see how well that goes over, ha!
                      That's a lame excuse tbh, I work in a metal factory and you HAVE to take your ring off when you work according to the law to prevent accidents etc. It's not like it'd be welded into his finger once he wears it lol.

Comment

I wouldn't think it'd be a big deal if he didn't want to wear it, as long as I didn't need to wear mine all the time too. I mentioned my not liking rings because I have fat and odd shaped fingers that are hard to find rings for, he said he didn't care, I'd still have to wear a wedding ring.
                        13000km, perhaps your situation is similar to mine (Or not, and I misunderstand lol), but I have to literally force my wedding ring on (On the wedding day, Garnet and I were both pushing towards one another just to get it on lol), and then once it's on it fits loosely at the base of my finger, so trying to find the right ring size for me was very very difficult. There's always the option of tattoos if rings aren't your thing (Or nothing at all if that's what the two of you would decide on), as another option. I personally think it's not that it's specifically a ring, but that a commitment is made, for the world to see, that's important.

That being said, him saying he won't wear a ring, but requiring you to wear one is just completely ludicrous IMO.

That's a lame excuse tbh, I work in a metal factory and you HAVE to take your ring off when you work according to the law to prevent accidents etc. It's not like it'd be welded into his finger once he wears it lol.
                        Exactly, the only reason wearing a ring could be dangerous is if you don't follow correct safety protocol. If you don't know that you should remove something like a ring when working around machinery, then perhaps you should be leaving it to the professionals. But then, that's just my opinion.

Comment

Even in fast food places or restaurants etc they state "no jewellery, except for a wedding band" that's total bs if the job doesn't allow a wedding ring.

Although agreed, I would prefer my SO bot to wear his if he could get it caught on machinery or something easily.

I think maybe guys think it's optional is because a wedding ring was only worn by women until sone point in the last 100 years. I read this in a few places but don't remember where. Google "wedding ring traditions" and have a lil read

I would be upset if my SO didn't want to wear a wedding ring, luckily he can't wait for his either
                          Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

I probably would be pretty sad if my SO were to refuse to wear a wedding ring. I really love the symbolism of having rings.

For our engagement, he got me a ring and I got him a necklace (he thought that he wouldn't love a ring). His necklace chain broke and then he got a new one, which broke and then I got him a new one, which broke and so on and so forth. He was like, I wish I would've just asked for a ring haha. So he carries around the parts of his necklace in his pocket now...which isn't much fun.

So the lesson for us: just go with the ring.
                            Last edited by mllebamako; March 7, 2011, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rane View Post
                              13000km, perhaps your situation is similar to mine (Or not, and I misunderstand lol), but I have to literally force my wedding ring on (On the wedding day, Garnet and I were both pushing towards one another just to get it on lol), and then once it's on it fits loosely at the base of my finger, so trying to find the right ring size for me was very very difficult. There's always the option of tattoos if rings aren't your thing (Or nothing at all if that's what the two of you would decide on), as another option. I personally think it's not that it's specifically a ring, but that a commitment is made, for the world to see, that's important.

That being said, him saying he won't wear a ring, but requiring you to wear one is just completely ludicrous IMO.
                              Oops, I guess I didn't word that very well. He is pro-wedding ring for both parties and wouldn't have it any other way. I was just talking about a hypothetical situation. Heh. Yeah rings are always too small or too big. They're hard to push past my knuckles, then either makes my finger looks like it has a muffin top or will slip and slide from base of finger to my knuckle, and I keep having to push it back down. It gets annoying. /:

Comment

Working...
                              X