Fiance coming dress shopping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiance coming dress shopping?

So I really didn't want to do this, I wanted it to be a suprise and him not see the dress until I was walking down the aisle, but I cannot see any way round it.

I've found the dress I *think* I want online from bestbridalprices.com, a legitimate non-sweatshop store. But, I want to try the dress on before I order it online, where it will be cheaper -no sales tax you see. The dress is by an American designer, and there are no stockists of this designer in the UK, well maybe one, but it's too far (and thus very expensive) for me to consider going. So. The only option I have of trying on this dress is to try it on in my visit in June, then order it, if I like it. I wouldn't dare try ordering it before I tried it on! It's too important!

THE PROBLEM: the only person who I know will be around the area when I visit, without having to drive for hours and hours, is my SO. Now my SO is my best friend, and we share everything, and on one hand I DO like the idea of him coming with me, because I know then I'll get a dress he likes too, and what could be better then having my best friend come dress shopping with me?

BUT I am torn with my traditional idea of him not seeing the dress before the ceremony. I am not superstitious, I don't believe in the "bad luck" aspect. I will make my own luck, thank you, I just think it's a nice tradition, like not sleeping in the same bed the night before.

I have talked about it with him, and he is more then happy (he actually looked VERY excited, bless him) to go with me, but I also thought I won't be able to go dress shopping with my mum in England... unless I order the dress and we just have a random day out trying on dresses when I am home?

This dress is perfect for the theme I want, and I'd always be thinking "I wonder if that would have been prettier?" if I don't try it on... I dunno... what would you do?

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

When you visit him couldn't you just ask him to wait outside the shop or something while you try it on? That way he'd come with you but wouldn't see the dress. I kinda think the fiance shouldn't see it until you're walking down the isle wearing it... But it's really up to you in the end and what you wanna do. I do agree that you definitely should try it on or you will regret it.

I want to keep my dress a secret when the time comes

Comment

I would just ask him to wait outside.

I'm keeping my dress a surprise until I'm walking down that isle. I want him to be surprised and floored by it.
      :#)

Comment

I vote ask him to wait outside, I've had Obi do that for me.

I totally understand the wanting to share the experience with him though, it feels weird to me to not have Obi there but the surprise will be worth it imo
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Agree agree agree. The surprise will totally be worth it.

Comment

I really didn't see any reason to surprise Rane, he came with me. I'm glad he did. Our wedding wasn't traditional though, we drove to our little gazebo in the park together, so it isn't like we parted ways 24 hours before the ceremony or however it is normally done. I think if you want him there he should be. If you like the traditional aspect of it, the others are right, he can just wait outside, right?

Comment

But the thought of going in the store... alone, with only a saleswoman who wants me to buy a dress there to help me, is quite terrifying!

I NEED someone to be there, and I can't ask his Mom to drive all that way. I really want to surprise him too, but I don't want to go in there alone either!

Comment

His mom would probably be flattered you know... failing that, blindfold him?
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                  I really didn't see any reason to surprise Rane, he came with me. I'm glad he did. Our wedding wasn't traditional though, we drove to our little gazebo in the park together, so it isn't like we parted ways 24 hours before the ceremony or however it is normally done. I think if you want him there he should be. If you like the traditional aspect of it, the others are right, he can just wait outside, right?
                  ah ours won't be traditional either, we're having the first one just us, to get the legal shiz out the way, then having the big one we want in a few years when we can afford it, and a nice honeymoon But if Rane came with you, I don't feel it's that odd then, maybe he'll forget what it looks like by the time of the wedding? Not likely but he might!

@Zephii- I suppose both could be an option, him being there, but not being able to see...

Comment

Does he have sisters? Any (female) friends?
                    I understand you not wanting him to see the dress before. I've showed my boyfriend photos of dresses that I like, I guess he could even see the dress before, but I wouldn't want him to see me in the dress before the actual wedding.
                    If I were to buy the dress where he lives, I'd take his mum and a friend of ours. If I didn't know anyone there yet, I'd ask him to ask a (girl) friend that he thinks I'd get along with and that'd be willing to come.
                    He could still be the driver and go have some ice cream or read a book while you're in the shop

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Originally posted by nicole View Post
                      ah ours won't be traditional either, we're having the first one just us, to get the legal shiz out the way, then having the big one we want in a few years when we can afford it, and a nice honeymoon But if Rane came with you, I don't feel it's that odd then, maybe he'll forget what it looks like by the time of the wedding? Not likely but he might!

@Zephii- I suppose both could be an option, him being there, but not being able to see...
                      He's a guy! ;D There is a very good chance that in a store of dresses, he isn't going to burn the image in his mind of your exact dress. Not until he sees you at your wedding, then it will stick! I don't think Rane could have picked my dress out of a lineup even the next day after shopping lol.

Could he maybe go with you and face away? I make Rane turn his back constantly at different occasions. Like at the doctors office weight check! :P

Comment

I'd ask him to go have a beer or something and let you go and meet him at the pub down on the corner after you try on the dress.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

I bet you his mom would actually love to take you... But! It's entirely up to you. I had a good friend with me. I also bought the first dress I tried on lol... Having that friend with my I tried on two more because my arm was twisted but yeah...

Comment

Yeah his mom would be a good person to take. If you are 100% against him going, have him wait in the lobby or something! OR have him come, but don't tell him which of the dresses you try on that you plan on buying. That way you can get his opinion, but he won't know which one you're going to get.

Comment

I think that you should go with his mom! Since you two are getting married that would be a wonderful bonding experience. Plus, she's a girl and will probably more help than a guy would be in a dress shop.

Comment

Working...
                              X