Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prenuptial agreement?

How do you feel about it?

Would you sign one if your spouse has older children from a previous marriage and significant assets?
    Met Online : July 2013
    Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
    2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
    3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
    Proposal : December 2014
    Closed distance : February 2015
    Married : April 5, 2015

Nope.

And I wouldn't marry someone who would require me to do so beforehand.

Comment

I probably would. However I've been in the reverse role, where I was the primary income and had the credit and assets and my ex screwed me over and stole a lot from me. So I am more inclined to protect my assets.

Comment

Sure would, I've been divorced and it's much easier to get things figured out fairly while you still like each other. Nobody plans on getting divorced, but let's face it, statistically, there's a good chance it'll happen, and there's nothing wrong with preparing for the possibility. It's not romantic, but it could be smart, and marriage isn't always about romance.
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't think I would, it would seem too much like they already see the end and I would feel a bit not-trusted. /:

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with it. If you marry for the right reasons you should never have to use the agreement but incase something is to happen then you have that security to fall back on.

Comment

I don't think it's unreasonable, especially if my fiance has children already. I would feel more comfortable, actually.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone

This discussion came up because my fiance has two adult children and says he couldn't live with himself if he were not able to leave much to his kids because of a divorce settlement. He has acquired quite a bit of assets over the years, but he got a good start from his dad. He wants to do the same for his children and he doesn't feel he would be able to do that if a divorce required him to start all over again. He's in his mid 40's and I'm 31.

Initially, I felt like he didn't trust me, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it made sense and I'd probably do the same if I were in his position. He's not trying to avoid sharing his wealth with me, because there's an agreed percentage that would automatically go to his children and to me. What's interesting to note is that prenups are not completely recognized in England where he's from and a judge can overrule the provisions in a prenup if it is deemed unfair.
                Met Online : July 2013
                Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                Proposal : December 2014
                Closed distance : February 2015
                Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

If he wanted a prenup I suppose I'd be okay with it, not that either of us has much to 'protect' or anything. Things happen.

Comment

I will def have a prenup when i get married I will be making a more money then my SO and how i figure is i wanna know that he's marring me cause he loves me not because i have money. and if something ever happens i refuse to let anyone take half of my money and assets that i worked hard to earn.

Comment

Originally posted by theyellowdart View Post
                      Nope.

And I wouldn't marry someone who would require me to do so beforehand.
                      Agreed. I suppose the situation could be different if there are kids involved, but for us, there were no kids to consider.
                      My heart belongs to a pilot!
                      ~*~
                      ~*~
                      [/center]

Comment

We talked about it and both agreed we didn't want one. We both have assets, but they are more or less equal, so I feel safe not having one. They are probably smart, but it's just not for me. I'd rather take the risk.
                        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I think prenuptial agreements are smart, but just not for me. To me, marriage is for life and if someone I was about to marry was already thinking about what if we end, I couldn't enter the marriage. I need to know that when the cards are down and things get hard [because they will] my partner is in it for life just like I am.

But that's only my opinion and my beliefs. If I felt differently, I wouldn't have any problem with signing a prenuptial and like I said, I do think it's a brilliant idea.

Comment

my fiance's family is very well off but he refuses to have a prenup in his words "Then we would be planning to fail" and neither one of us plan on that happening...So no no prenup here..
                            " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
                            Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

Nope.
                              NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X