No announcement yet.

Changing your last name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would definitely take his last name. My current last name is so often misspelled, that it frustrates me. But, my name now flows so nicely together. My boyfriend's last name is Italian and mine is German...I'm also Italian so it'd be nice to have an Italian last name. People spell his name wrong too, but not as often as mine. My first name doesn't sound as good with his last name as it does with mine, but over time I'm sure it'd sound fine. I love his last name, and I would love to take it as my own.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Originally posted by WakeUpSusie View Post
      I would definitely take his last name, but would make my current last name my middle name because I love it! So I would go by First Name/Current Last Name/Future Hubby's Last name

I like his last name and I think it's a nice gesture to take it when getting married. But I love and am proud of my last name so I don't want to completely eliminate that from my legal name either.
      exactlly what im going to do when i get married next year!

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
      Nope. I would never change my last name. Which is great because my SO is Hispanic and in the Hispanic culture women don't change their lasts names. In fact it would be weird if I did. The children get both lasts names. That's why Hispanics have crazy long names. So if we got married our children would be First name/Middle name/Father's Last name/Mother's last name. Which I sort of feel sorry for cuz my last name is freaking long.

example: Maria Jose Aguilera Gonzalez marries Juan Carlos Arias Piedra. The children's last names are: Arias Aguilera. Most usually just use the first of the 2 last names, but on legal documents it will always have the 2.
      im brazilian so i feel ya.

and i will take away my middle name that was my mothers maiden name and my last name (from my father) will go to the middle, and my husband to be last name will be my last as well.
      and the day we have kids i also want them to have my maiden name as their middle name
      our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
        I had to go to facebook to see his last name after reading this comment
        I wanna be in the know!!

Comment

My current last name is my ex-husbands. I kept it because I share it with my son and have no attachment to my maiden name. If we were to marry, I think I'd take his name, as it would be odd to keep my ex-husband's. Plus my first name would go well with his last name.

Comment

I would take his last name for sure. I've always felt that, that was part of getting married, when you marry you take his name and are telling the world you choose him and are now one. Lol although i do like my last name, Its actually in a movie or two lol but I would happily trade it in for my SO's.
            I love you Nathan <3
            sigpic
            5/25/09 <3

Comment

great topic Snow Girl!

both my SO and I have difficult last names, hard to spell everywhere we go.. at the begining of our relationship, we thought about both changing our last name to a new one, that would be Our last name. it would be the meaning of his current last name in the language of my current last name it has a nice ring to it, melodious, and short haha. both our last names are loooong (9 characters for me, 11 for him )

if we don't end up doing this, i'd love to take is name. but i will keep mine for my proffessional work. here in lebanon when a woman marries, on her ID her full maiden name is kept and then "married" and hubby's last name.
              Last edited by ioanna; September 6, 2011, 03:04 PM. Reason: million apologies snow girl for crediting someone else with the topic!
              Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
              And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
              ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Well, my last name is my father's last name [who I have no attachment to or relationship with] and I've always intended on changing it to my mother's last name therefore having that connection with my family so I'm sort of undecided on changing my name when married. If I marry my current SO, it's really important to him that I take his name and our children have his name as he's the last of his family line and if our children don't carry on the name no one will. I suppose I could still change it to my mother's last name and then marry and be first name middle name mothers last name his last name, but it seems like such a hassle.

Comment

I'm definitely taking my SO's last name, it's always been a big deal to me, just like others have said it's a family tie and my family growing up was really awful so it's like a fresh start at having my own family and I feel as though it'll make me closer to my SO, not that I need it, but it'll just be one of those bonds that are formed along the way.

Notes:
                  Met: 8.17.09
                  Started Dating: 8.20.09
                  First Met: 10.2.10
                  Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I don't have any plans on taking my bf's last name when we get married. maybe I'll hyphenate. he's actually mentioned that he wouldn't mind taking my last name!

Comment

I'm definitely going to take his last name if we get married. He leaves it up to me whether to take it or not, because in Iranian culture married women are not required to do that. However, it's very important for me because it's in my culture to take the husband's name, but for sure I'm going to keep my father's name because it'd be very useful in the future.
                      That being said, my full name will consist of 5 words because of my first name, middle name, 2-word family name, plus his family name!

Comment

We're actually not so sure about this one yet.
                        On the one hand I would like us and our children to have the same last name. It feels more family to me, even though it's probably silly.

But the thing is my last name is very pretty, relatively short, wonderfully Scandinavian and easy to pronounce and write in almost any language. Oh and it has a cute meaning, but in our languages it means nothing and doesn't have any weird connotations.
                        It also fits so well with my two first names and would even go well with his first name. And it's rare. Everyone who has the name is really from our family.

My boyfriend has a very typical Polish last name. Typical as in 10+ letters and not pronounceable or writeable anywhere outside of Poland. Think Skrzypczynski and you're quite close. It's also rather common.

Unfortunately my boyfriend isn't so keen on taking my last name. I might 'buy' him by letting him decide the first name of our first son, though. I have yet to decide which is the bigger sacrifice.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

I will take his last name. I've always wanted to.
                          At first, I didn't think it sounded good with my name, but I love it now.
                          "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue,
                          a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them
                          which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky."
                          - Rainer Maria Rilke

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet,
                          regardless of time, place, or circumstance.
                          The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."
                          - an ancient Chinese belief

Comment

Good topic!

My husband is from Iran. In Persian culture, women keep their name. My husband said it was up to me, but he'd prefer I kept my own name. My parents also really want me to keep my last name (my mom kept hers when she married my dad). I prefer my husband's last name, but it wasn't a big deal so I chose what everyone else wanted: I kept my name.

I dislike hyphenated names and I already have my mom's last name as my middle name... so I didn't want to be Élan Lastname Lastname-Lastname. Talk about excessive and impossible to Google.

Comment

I'm definitely doing the traditional first name, maiden name, his last name when I get married. My initials are MOM that way and I think it's cute. And I'm a very traditional person anyway. If I completely drop my last name and keep my current middle name I'll be MMM.
                              ". . . We obviously have to come to accept it, but that doesn't stop it from gnawing at us day by day.
                              The best we can do is enjoy our time together, anticipate our reunions, and remain passionate and loyal through distance." ~Mike <3

~*~11.21.2010~*~

Comment

I was always adamant that I would not take any husband's last name. When I was 22, I was engaged to a guy whose last name was Orndorff. And we got into huge fights over my not wanting to change my name to that My SO doesn't really have a preference but if I changed my name, I will still have the same initials. I don't know - I feel like I've been this name for 33 years - might be hard to be some one else!

Comment

Working...
                                X