Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Changing your last name
Collapse
X
-
Once I get to that point I'd probably take his name, but I'd like to keep my maiden name as another first name
-
After all the visa crap you've had to go through, I wouldn't want to either. Here's hoping we get the stupid paper this weekend so I can actually get my name changed. Hmmph.Originally posted by lucybelle View PostOne of the big reasons I decided against it. I'm so fed up with bureaucratic red tape bullshit that I would rather pour lemon juice in my eyes than try to do the paperwork to change my name.
Leave a comment:
-
I think I would hyphenate-for professional purposes and just to have the best of both worlds
Leave a comment:
-
hahaha hilarious!!Originally posted by lucybelle View PostOne of the big reasons I decided against it. I'm so fed up with bureaucratic red tape bullshit that I would rather pour lemon juice in my eyes than try to do the paperwork to change my name.
I would use hislastname/mylastname just because I know it's very important for him
Leave a comment:
-
I'll be taking my SO's last name when we marry. We'll be living in Sweden so taking his last name would make more sense to me. Plus, I like the tradition of it.
Leave a comment:
-
We both kept our names when we got married. We can change it later on, if we decide that we went to have the same last name after all.
As long as we don't have kids, I don't really see a reason to. I know that we're married and so do the people who need to know.
Once we have kids I think I would like us to have the same last name, but I'm not willing to take his
Leave a comment:
-
I'm almost seventeen, so marriage is a little ways off for me, but I think I'd take my husband's name. I'm rather fond of my maiden name, but the concept of taking on your partner's name intriques me. That, and I just love marital traditions like that; it really feels like you're one unit, rather than two totally separate people.
Just my thoughts on the subject.
I suppose it all boils down to "whatever floats your boat," ahaha.
Leave a comment:
-
One of the big reasons I decided against it. I'm so fed up with bureaucratic red tape bullshit that I would rather pour lemon juice in my eyes than try to do the paperwork to change my name.Originally posted by lyonsgirl View PostSide note: legally changing your name is a huge pain in the ass. Worth it, but a huge pain in the ass. At least it is in the States....
Leave a comment:
-
Side note: legally changing your name is a huge pain in the ass. Worth it, but a huge pain in the ass. At least it is in the States....
Leave a comment:
-
I would take his last name even though I do really like my maiden name. I think it sounds nice either way, but it wouldn't fit, if we hyphenated it. Thankfully, there are enough boys in the family to pass on our last name.
Leave a comment:
-
I would definitely take his name. Although his name is the most common name in Mexico and my name is very very special in Germany (I guess there are maybe like 10 or 20 people who have the same lastname as me) I would rather take his. First reason is that I really like his lastname and think it would sound nice. Second reason is, that my lastname comes from my father and even if it may sound hard, but I really don't wanna be reminded of him anymore. He wasn't a good father at all and my parents now already are divorced for a couple of years. So i would definitely like to take his name if we marry someday
And also it would finally stop that I have to spell my lastname everytime someone hears it and then writes it wrong anyway.
Leave a comment:
-
I'll probably take his. I do really like my middle name though. His is super common and easy to spell and everything, whereas mine is less common and it was really funny hearing all the different ways people tried to pronounce it and spell it all my life. So even though mine is more fun, I'd probably still take his. For the reasons other people have listed, feeling like a family mostly.
Leave a comment:
-
Guest repliedI'm nowhere near getting married, nor do I plan to. XD But considering the hypothetical situation that I married my SO in the future, I don't think I would change my last name. Lori isn't my real name: it's a nickname. My real name doesn't sound right with anything other than my current last name. If I were to marry my SO in the future, it would be a sweet sentiment to take my SO's surname because I'd have been looking at it for so long. But since he's Dutch, I don't even think I can pronounce his surname correctly XP am I the only one in this situation?
Leave a comment:
-
Guest repliedI will take his last name. I'm proud of my last name and I like it (even though some people tease me about it sometimes :P ), but my American family/friends can't really pronounce it lol. And besides that I'm very traditional and we'll officially be a family that way.
Leave a comment:
-
I'm a bit torn on this question. I love my name as it is, my first name is very uncommon and my long hyphenated surname is unique to say the least. And yes it is unpractical but I kinda like having a name combination that no one else in the whole world probably has. I do really like my SO's last name too though, and even though we haven't discussed whether or not I should change my name if we get married I am pretty sure he would like me to. So in that case I probably will. And even if I would be a little sad to give up the name I have now I love the idea of sharing a name with him and our children having that name.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: