Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing your last name

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • snow
    replied
    I will most likely change my name, since Stephen is the only male to carry on the family name - I have two brothers to carry on my last name so that's okay :P
    I was thinking of having both names but a French-Polish name sounds kinda weird living in America..

    Leave a comment:


  • sarahjane1992
    replied
    I'm so excited to take his last name when we get married! My current last name is very common where I'm from. Seems like everyone around here has it. LOL We are from different cultures in a way, so I'm excited to embrace it! We're not engaged yet, but it's coming in the future!

    Leave a comment:


  • dglynn77
    replied
    Originally posted by Yaaamiii View Post
    Oh for sure I'm taking his last name. xD I love the feeling of being a family and all that jazz. The way I see it, he stole my heart, so I steal his last name. :P
    Great way to put it, Yaaamiii! I feel the same way about it! I can't wait to share his last name!

    Leave a comment:


  • Pvt FlamingRage
    replied
    I'm not gonna get my last name changed or hyphenated, it's just tradition that the wife changes her name. That's why on legal documents they'll ask for your mother's maiden name, not your father's

    Leave a comment:


  • avr0210
    replied
    In latin america you don't change your name when you get married so I didn't want to change my name but my fiancee wanted us to share a last name, so we decided we'll both change our name so my last name will be our middle name and his last name will be our last name. Pretty good idea, everyone happy!! Well no because when we told our mums they were totally against it, we had a huge 3 days argument with them, my Mum doesn't want me to change my name and my mother-in-law doesn't want him to change his name but she wants me to change mine, so for the sake of the families we decided that we wont change our names that way the family is happy (kind of), I´m happy (I didn't want to change my name in the fist place) but my fiancée is not happy because we won't share a last name .

    Leave a comment:


  • Yaaamiii
    replied
    Oh for sure I'm taking his last name. xD I love the feeling of being a family and all that jazz. The way I see it, he stole my heart, so I steal his last name. :P

    Leave a comment:


  • aeiouna
    replied
    I'm taking his last name. I have no real connection to my maiden name (I wasn't raised by my biological father), and my SO wants me to (though I had always wanted to, I like the fact it solidifies that we're a family unit). My maiden name would be dropped, so I'd just be Erika MiddleName HisLastName.

    Leave a comment:


  • squeeker
    replied
    I plan on taking my SO's name. I also like the idea of it symbolizing our commitment to each other and I like the idea of being called "Mr. and Mrs... his-last-name." Also as an added bonus his last name has the same first initial as my first name so I'll have the initials HH. I also really like his last name a lot. I also like my last name now but I think it'll lower any confusion and then our kids can just have one and it'll be the same as ours.

    Leave a comment:


  • SDPersona
    replied
    When I was younger, I always thought I'd keep my given name, because if I'd give it up, my family's name would die out and I didn't want that. Since then, it's changed. I've got a little brother and I've figured I'd either take my hubby's name or not depending on where we live. If it's in his country it'd make more sense to take his then keep my name. As for hyphenates, no thank you! I've had long names up to now and I don't want to make it any longer!

    I wanted to say, that the hispanics way is kind of neat, though!

    Leave a comment:


  • lonelyinlove
    replied
    I'm traditional, so I definitely want to take my SO's last name. & I'll still have the same initials....

    Leave a comment:


  • Katelyn313
    replied
    I plan on taking Dylan's last name and being Katelyn MiddleName HisLastName. My maiden name would be dropped. That being said, my last name is VERY common here in the US and while I LOVE it, I don't mind not writing it again. My family crest is also awesome, so I was thinking of getting that tattooed on my shoulder so it's always with me... (Dylan has a few tattoos and has agreed to go with me, hold my hand and tell me he loves me while I'm getting it done though ) Also, if I REALLY get to missing my old name, I just have to drop one letter and it's a perfectly recognizable boy's name... suitable for a future son

    I just like the unity that being one name with my children and husband brings.
    Last edited by Katelyn313; April 25, 2012, 10:21 PM. Reason: Typo, grr.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shepard-Fowkes
    replied
    <<<<<<< My SO and I want to both hyphenate our last names. It will look something like that :P. We both enjoy our surnames and we're both close to our families, so neither of us want to lose our last names. I think it's a good compromise .

    When/if we have kids, we'll pass only one surname on to them. Just a matter of picking which one. We'll probably choose the surname of whichever side of the family we end up (not physically) closest to.

    Leave a comment:


  • frompanthertomustang
    replied
    I'd be really excited to take my SO's last name My current last name is kind of infamous and I get teased a lot for it, but his is kind of German/Welsh/Danish and pretty long. I love spelling it out, though! I like the idea of having a long last name Plus, as everyone else has said, it kind of unifies us. I'm not yet sure if I'd completely get rid of my current last name or make it my middle name... or just have four names!

    Leave a comment:


  • dukes2011
    replied
    My SO has a common last name, but I would still change it anyway. I always wanted a cooler last name when I got married, so I'm not really on track with that right now. Haha! To me it's a sign of unity and I have always seen it as a way to tie a family together.

    My mother took her maiden name as her middle name when she got married and so have a lot of women in my family, but I can't exactly do that- my initials would be ASS. Not okay with me. My brother and SO laugh about it all the time and all my friends think it's hilarious too. I've thought about keeping my given middle name and just having two middle names, but then my full legal name would sound awkward.

    Leave a comment:


  • Spriteling
    replied
    One of us will change our last name; we don't know who yet. Probably me, though, because she doesn't have strong feelings about it either way, and I would liek to have the same last name as her; for some reason, it is important to me. It means we're a unit, I guess.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X