Broken laptop D: No skype, No MSN, Need temp IM program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken laptop D: No skype, No MSN, Need temp IM program

Sooo this morning my laptop decided to blue screen me (ITS ONLY 6 MONTHS OLD WTF?!). I'm going to be without it for a while due to the upcoming holidays and the cost of repairs...

I have a teeny tiny netbook that I can hopefully use to help me get by, but it has like NO memory left on it after I installed word and excel.

I tried to install skype and MSN but I need some other program installed first (Microsoft silverlight or something) IDK. But anyway, theres not enough space for it, so, no skype or MSN for meeeeeeeeeeee!

Anyone know any decent, free, online IM sites that my SO and I could use to communicate discreetly whilst I'm at work (I have no internet at home)? Facebook chat is too buggy and isnt that discreet.

Thanks
    Si tu n'etais pas la
    Comment pourrais-je vivre
    Je ne connaitrais pas
    Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
    Quand je suis dans tes bras
    Mon coeur joyeux se livre
    Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
    Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

What about using Gmail? I'm not sure about the noise factor, but I imagine you could silence it? And it's discreet enough to seem like you're checking your e-mail.
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

I used to use gmail chat at work. It just looks like you're on your email. We used twitter direct messages too.

Comment

Do we both need gmail accounts for that? Thanks
        Si tu n'etais pas la
        Je ne connaitrais pas
        Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
        Si tu n'etais pas la

Comment

Originally posted by Hololz View Post
          Do we both need gmail accounts for that? Thanks
          Yeah, you need a Gmail account to use Google Talk. But it's worth it! It really is the best email provider there is.

Comment

Thanks I will try and talk to him about it somehow (no reply to my texts yet) and see if we can both set up a gmail account, tbh I have been looking at getting one for a long time, both my hotmail accounts are filled with SO MUCH spam! eurgh lol!
            Si tu n'etais pas la
            Je ne connaitrais pas
            Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
            Si tu n'etais pas la

Comment

Originally posted by NaNi View Post
              Yeah, you need a Gmail account to use Google Talk. But it's worth it! It really is the best email provider there is.
              It really is, I love it. But you have to be careful what you talk about, because google is the most un-private network. Everything you say or do on google is open to advertisers and who knows who else. I had an assignment recently where I had to google myself (on a computer that is not my own), and was surprised that some of the stuff I wrote in a google-run profile and certain chat logs came up on the search even though they were set to private. Pretty scary.

Comment

I recommend this site: www.ebuddy.com

It's msn but you access it on a web browser and it's really good. I've used it quite a few times in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by 13000km View Post
                  It really is, I love it. But you have to be careful what you talk about, because google is the most un-private network. Everything you say or do on google is open to advertisers and who knows who else. I had an assignment recently where I had to google myself (on a computer that is not my own), and was surprised that some of the stuff I wrote in a google-run profile and certain chat logs came up on the search even though they were set to private. Pretty scary.
                  Are you serious? I got so paranoid that I googled myself but I didn't find any of my chat logs o___o scary omgosh.

Comment

Yup, I wasn't the only one, some of the other people in the class found stuff from their (locked) twitter accounts on google buzz, one even found their court documents on google docs some 20+ pages into the search. I think it happens when you're talking about something that was or is of interest. Like, the chat logs I found were on google buzz (don't even know what that is) of me sending pictures of food to some friends.

Comment

The most discrete IM program that I enjoyed that is also very small in size is Xfire (it's also a multi-protocol instant messenger, which means that if you have accounts with AIM and Yahoo! etc. you can use all of them into one). You can add your MSN account to it from what I remember as well (if that's still possible). Downside of being so small is that you can mainly just message on it... don't remember if webcam sessions were available and whatnot.

Comment

i would say download something called bluestacks (lets you use any phone apps on your computer, kik comes to mind.) but if space on your laptop is tight then if you have maybe 5-10 bucks to spare i suggest heading out and picking up a cheap 1-2GB usb stick and use that to download what needs to be downloaded.

Comment

My SO and I used Viber to chat on our phones everyday. All it takes is for you to enter in your number, and you're good to go. It also automatically connects to everyone else you have on your phone as a contact and displays them if they have Viber too. You can choose whether or not you want to be seen online as well, so that would help with being discreet! It doesn't cost anything to use, either uses your wi-fi or 3g connection, and barely chews up any data at all! They've also recently just brought out the computer version for it too, so you can download that off their website and use it on your computer as well, which might be more suitable to what you're looking for.

Comment

I really recommend Gmail Chat. I personally call it Gchat, but it's also referred to as "hangouts" nowadays with the ever-changing updates However, if that doesn't work for you, I've been using a website called "textnow[dot]com". you can text a persons phone or their textnow account(on laptop or otherwise) and receive and send free picture messages! This is what I use quite a bit. There are some bugs with it, but you get used to it after a while. Hopefully you find what you need!
                            --Nookole

Comment

Originally posted by delightful View Post
                              My SO and I used Viber to chat on our phones everyday. All it takes is for you to enter in your number, and you're good to go. It also automatically connects to everyone else you have on your phone as a contact and displays them if they have Viber too. You can choose whether or not you want to be seen online as well, so that would help with being discreet! It doesn't cost anything to use, either uses your wi-fi or 3g connection, and barely chews up any data at all! They've also recently just brought out the computer version for it too, so you can download that off their website and use it on your computer as well, which might be more suitable to what you're looking for.
                              I love viber <3 <3 You also can make free calls, and believe me for the distance we are talking about, it works pretty well

Comment

Working...
                              X