Moving with my Desktop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving with my Desktop.

I will be moving to Calgary from Toronto in something like 2 months, and I´m trying to figure out the best way to get my beautiful lovely gaming rig there with me in one piece -.- Has anyone here moved with a computer before, and how did you go about doing it?

Would I be allowed to take it as a carry on? :/ Is that even a good idea? :P

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
    -Miguel De Cervantes

Read our story HERE
    \

I would consider either checking an additional bag or taking it in a carry-on that would go in the overhead bins, and I would probably use layers of clothing underneath, to the sides, and on top of it to keep it from moving. :P I imagine if you pack it tightly within clothes or plastic bags or something to keep it padded and from shifting around, it should be okay. If you end up checking, I'd also use a thicker and more durable bag as opposed to a softer one.
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

They make padded cases for moving electronics like a desktop. You might want to look into getting one of those. If that's a real possibility for you. I have a feeling that they are expensive.
      ". . . We obviously have to come to accept it, but that doesn't stop it from gnawing at us day by day.
      The best we can do is enjoy our time together, anticipate our reunions, and remain passionate and loyal through distance." ~Mike <3

~*~11.21.2010~*~

Comment

If you're moving everything - monitor, keyboard, CPU, etc. - I'd either get a special packing case or even look into having it shipped. Which probably isn't cheap, but with something as valuable as a desktop I'd say it's worth the investment. Personally, I wouldn't want to worry about handling that much equipment in a regular carry-on.

Comment

I really don't think a carry-on will cut it, but you could try. I have a desktop that I bring back and forth from college to home every now and then, and I use a 26" suitcase with lots of padding (usually in the form of clothes... double duty ) to do it. While I don't take it on a plane, it works for my purposes, and it's easy to transport (WHEELS!), although it is heavy. However, I would be concerned with the value of the items. You can get padlocks for your zippers and stuff, but keep in mind that airline security sometimes just really wants to check your bag. What you could try is taking as many valuable components in your carry-on as you can and putting the tower in a checked bag with your clothes and stuff. If there are straps in your suitcase, definitely use them.

I'd DEFINITELY go for a bag with some structure, though. It doesn't have to be solid (especially since that would make the bag heavier on top of the weight from your tower), but a bag with some lining to keep its shape and stuff would probably provide better protection for your computer.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

How good are you with computers?

I know a guy who moved his desktop across Europe, by pulling out the Hard Drive, disk drives etc and putting them into individual anti-static bags. If you have the capacity to do this, I would.

But otherwise? Pad the thing up something fierce!

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
              I really don't think a carry-on will cut it, but you could try. I have a desktop that I bring back and forth from college to home every now and then, and I use a 26" suitcase with lots of padding (usually in the form of clothes... double duty ) to do it. While I don't take it on a plane, it works for my purposes, and it's easy to transport (WHEELS!), although it is heavy. However, I would be concerned with the value of the items. You can get padlocks for your zippers and stuff, but keep in mind that airline security sometimes just really wants to check your bag. What you could try is taking as many valuable components in your carry-on as you can and putting the tower in a checked bag with your clothes and stuff. If there are straps in your suitcase, definitely use them.

I'd DEFINITELY go for a bag with some structure, though. It doesn't have to be solid (especially since that would make the bag heavier on top of the weight from your tower), but a bag with some lining to keep its shape and stuff would probably provide better protection for your computer.
              I was just worried about how much it will be thrown around going into the hold... They are pretty rough in there :/

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
              How good are you with computers?

I know a guy who moved his desktop across Europe, by pulling out the Hard Drive, disk drives etc and putting them into individual anti-static bags. If you have the capacity to do this, I would.

But otherwise? Pad the thing up something fierce!
              I was thinking about doing this. My knowledge of computers is decent, but not good enough to fix something if it goes wrong, and I don´t have a friend who´s good with them in Calgary to help me out either D:

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
              -Miguel De Cervantes

Read our story HERE
              \

Comment

When you find out, let me know! My boyfriend is going to bring his computer here. He thinks he'll have to dismantle everything and pack each piece separately and put it back together once he gets here. So if there's a better way I'd love to know so I can pass on the info xD

Comment

^^^

I think dismantling it is the best idea. He could carry the sensitive parts like the Hard Drive in his carry on if he wanted to.

I mean worst comes to worst, he could just bring the best components then buy a new case when he gets to his destination

Comment

Working...
                  X