Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which instant messenger do you and your SO use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which instant messenger do you and your SO use?

Well, the title says it all. So, which instant messenger do you people use to communicate with your SO?

We're on Windows Live Messenger. I was forced to upgrade to the latest version about a month ago (somehow my SO managed to avoid this) and I've had nothing but problems with it since!

Comment

Funny because that's essentially the reason why I started this thread... Former versions of Windows Live Messenger were elegant and easy-to-use, didn't cause problems and did what it is supposed to do - allow you to chat. Now - for some reason - it seems to do the opposite. I think I will either downgrade to an older version, or try another software.
      Maybe you can find the version you were comfortable on this website where there is a directory of old versions, too? I can't share links as I am a newbie Just type "oldversions" in the search bar!

Comment

You'd think that an upgraded version would be an improvement on its predecessor, huh? I've tried downgrading but all that happens is the same thing as before - it refuses to let me log in until I install the latest version. Gah, it's so frustrating! For some reason my SO doesn't like Skype; he's never had reason to use it and I think he's reluctant to switch to a program he's not familiar with. I may download it on his laptop next time I pay him a visit though, so perhaps with a bit of persuasion... haha

Comment

Whatsapp on the phones and skype on the computer. We hardly ever chat though. Whatsapp is more for texts and skype for calls

Comment

Kik for iPhone

Comment

We use MSN (Windows Live) messenger, always. Like you, I think the newer version is complete horsepoop, and I tried forever to get back to an old version, but Microsoft is pushing this update onto anyone who runs Vista or 7, so it would always force me to "upgrade" again.

Here's how I finally fixed it:

1) Uninstall Windows Essentials 2011 completely from your computer. You should be able to do this through the "Uninstall programs" tool.
              2) Download an older version of MSN messenger, such as the ones you can find here. You want any version 2009 or earlier.
              3) Install the old version, but do not run it yet (and close it if it opens).
              4) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger (or wherever you installed it), to where msnmsgr.exe is located.
              5) Right click on msnmsgr.exe and choose "Properties."
              6) Click on the "Compatibility" tab. Check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose Windows XP (Service Pack 3) or earlier.
              7) Click OK, then open up messenger and enjoy not having to "upgrade."

People with XP (like my boyfriend) were NOT forced to upgrade, and that's why this works. No guarantees, but it's worked for me on my two computers.
              Last edited by kittyo9; July 20, 2012, 08:02 AM.
              Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
              Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
              Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Usually I just send text messages from my phone seeing as I'm on an unlimited plan. Failing that, Skype or MSN.

Comment

MSN, soon when he gets a cell phone texting I hope. I swear he lives in the dark ages of technology listening to cd players instead of an ipod.
                  https://wearenottrayvonmartin.tumblr.com/
                  Makes my heart feel better a tiny bit.

Comment

I also send text message from my cell phone.we also use mig33 for chatting live and sometimes we share photo from it.
                    NoThInG iS ImPoSsiBlE..

Comment

We use facebook to chat. Most of our time together is spent either on the phone or doing voice chat over xbox live though.
                      "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
                      This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
                      Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

We use Yahoo IM because she does not like to us Facebook chat and she can't use video chat(which sucks )

Comment

aMSN. I love it as an alternative to MSN. When I'm on my phone, though, we use Windows Live Messenger.
                          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                          Met online: February 2009
                          Feelings confessed: December 2010
                          Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                          Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                          First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                          Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                          Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                          Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                          to be continued...

Comment

We used to always use MSN but now we're skype junkies.

Comment

We usually spend hours on our university GChat accounts and, sometimes, fb chat. Rarely skype, unfortunately /:
                              "If you get hungry enough, they say, you start eating your own heart"

Comment

Working...
                              X