Texting/calling internationally - NO smart phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texting/calling internationally - NO smart phone

Hey guys, I know, another thread... Im off on Friday, so need a pretty quick answer to this if possible.

Basically, im stuck in the Ice Ages; I dont have a smart phone, so all of these apps that let me call/text for free (or cheap) aren't an option. I do have an iPod which has apps that would do that (ive got Skype anyways, so that's fine), but where im going, I wont likely have internet most of the time.

So basically, to retain the ability to keep in constant contact (tbh, I'd settle for texting/calling an hour before bed for the week im away) it needs to be texting or calling with a normal mobile phone.

As far as I understand, texting is as simple as putting their international code before their number and sending. Might cost more, but no big deal for now. Would I be right in saying that? And the international code to the US is +1 before the number?

I asked a friend on calling internationally, and he said a calling card was mandatory. Is this true? Or am I able to just call them using the same number I would to text?

Thanks guys, likely a simple answer, but I wanna make sure we've got this ready before I go.

You are correct regarding texting. It is the same with calling as well, again it will also cost you extra but you simply just dial the same number you use for texting. You don't have to use a calling card, though they generally provide cheaper rates than what phone carriers do. But no you don't need them unless your phone carrier does not allow international calls and texts so just double check that before attempting

If you want to double check which number to dial to call or text your SO, then i'd reccommend googling "calling internationally time and date" and click on the first result. That website will generate a number for you based on what you put in and give you a breakdown of how the number works.

EDIT: Make sure you also have enough credit for the texts and calls as they will chew through your credit very quickly if you're not careful!

Comment

Originally posted by Slater View Post
      You are correct regarding texting. It is the same with calling as well, again it will also cost you extra but you simply just dial the same number you use for texting. You don't have to use a calling card, though they generally provide cheaper rates than what phone carriers do. But no you don't need them unless your phone carrier does not allow international calls and texts so just double check that before attempting

If you want to double check which number to dial to call or text your SO, then i'd reccommend googling "calling internationally time and date" and click on the first result. That website will generate a number for you based on what you put in and give you a breakdown of how the number works.

EDIT: Make sure you also have enough credit for the texts and calls as they will chew through your credit very quickly if you're not careful!
      Thanks very much , good to hear a calling card isn't needed whatsoever. It's expensive, but this is just for a week, I can work with cheaper alternatives later if Im away again.

I had already got texts sorted before I came back to check here, so thats all good. I think we're good to go! Just take out a loan for all the top-ups and im good

Comment

awesome glad i could help!

Comment

A lot of carriers have an 'international calling/texting' option that gives you discounts on, say, 200 international texts a month and a set number of a minutes. I've been told by a worker that if you combine that with a calling card, it's EVEN CHEAPER.

Also, if you're always at your computer, Google has a lab where you can text people in different countries depending on the carrier (US: all carriers so yay!). You get 50 'points' a day and every time someone replies, you get 5 points. So, basically, limitless.

One of the many benefits of being an international student: lots of info about these things :P
          "If you get hungry enough, they say, you start eating your own heart"

Comment

I know you said that money isn't an option, but I simply wanted to point out that a calling card might be worth it if you can swing it. Reason I say this is because depending on whether you're calling her landline or mobile, it's easy to add up a hefty bill. It's close to $1.50 a minute for me to call my SO mobile to mobile, with no international calling plan in place, and honestly, when you can get it so much cheaper, it's not worth paying $90.00 for an hour long phone call. I don't mean to sound condescending, but since you're taking out loans, you might want to consider your options, depending on how many texts you intend to send or how long you intend to spend on the phone. Maybe it's me, but I'd certainly look into the cheaper options as opposed to thinking about paying over $600 for a week's worth of hour-a-day long phone calls, as an example.

I don't know what it costs per minute from your phone/carried, or if you'd be calling her cell or land line, but honestly, look into the cheaper options if you have the time. Your wallet will thank you for not skipping this one on convenience.
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
              I know you said that money isn't an option, but I simply wanted to point out that a calling card might be worth it if you can swing it. Reason I say this is because depending on whether you're calling her landline or mobile, it's easy to add up a hefty bill. It's close to $1.50 a minute for me to call my SO mobile to mobile, with no international calling plan in place, and honestly, when you can get it so much cheaper, it's not worth paying $90.00 for an hour long phone call. I don't mean to sound condescending, but since you're taking out loans, you might want to consider your options, depending on how many texts you intend to send or how long you intend to spend on the phone. Maybe it's me, but I'd certainly look into the cheaper options as opposed to thinking about paying over $600 for a week's worth of hour-a-day long phone calls, as an example.

I don't know what it costs per minute from your phone/carried, or if you'd be calling her cell or land line, but honestly, look into the cheaper options if you have the time. Your wallet will thank you for not skipping this one on convenience.
              Haha, the loan bit was a joke about how expensive these things can get . You're right when you say you can take out a whole top-up just like that! The money's not so big a deal since its only a week, I figure since we've been able to talk for free this whole time, I can spend a little more just for this week. I dont much want her going overboard on it though, so we'll probably go by her credit.

I did look into changing my tariff temporarily (which I did yesterday), and it said about it being 5p a text (which im very skeptical about), and 20p a minute to call. This was with the same network I was on so I figure give it a go and if its a load of false advertising and I should've read the small print, then its only a week and ill change back after. I dont really have the time to look at calling cards before we go, but I figure I can pick one up while im there.

Not only will my wallet thank me if I can save some money, but I think my sanity might too. Looking to see that your credit has gone down 20p after one text isn't a great feeling

Comment

Originally posted by Slater View Post

I can call my SO. But when i send a text message it he never receives it and i use the exact same number maybe i'm doing something wrong ?

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishMan View Post
                  Haha, the loan bit was a joke about how expensive these things can get . You're right when you say you can take out a whole top-up just like that! The money's not so big a deal since its only a week, I figure since we've been able to talk for free this whole time, I can spend a little more just for this week. I dont much want her going overboard on it though, so we'll probably go by her credit.

I did look into changing my tariff temporarily (which I did yesterday), and it said about it being 5p a text (which im very skeptical about), and 20p a minute to call. This was with the same network I was on so I figure give it a go and if its a load of false advertising and I should've read the small print, then its only a week and ill change back after. I dont really have the time to look at calling cards before we go, but I figure I can pick one up while im there.

Not only will my wallet thank me if I can save some money, but I think my sanity might too. Looking to see that your credit has gone down 20p after one text isn't a great feeling
                  Oops! Took it literally like I usually do. But hey, I've known people who have actually taken out loans for that reason! So perhaps I'm not that unreasonable?

And oh boy, trust me, I know. I didn't realise it was such a costly thing until I actually received my phone bill and my eyes bugged out of my head. It was close to $200! Luckily I managed to speak to my phone company and they brought it down as a one-time courtesy thing, but sheesh. I've learned when it comes to international calls (though my partner, who's in Ireland, seems to get better deals than I do), it's so much better if you have a plan or something in place to bring it down.
                  { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                  Met online: February 2009
                  Feelings confessed: December 2010
                  Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                  Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                  First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                  Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                  Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                  Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                  to be continued...

Comment

Late to the party on this but I'll post anyway as i think this may help you (and your wallet out)

If your on O2, get the international favourites add on. Wont help you for texts but it's freaking brilliant for calls. £10.50 a month (no contract) and you get 3000 minutes of international calls, you also get a "call me" number which will give you a local number for your SO to call you on without incurring international charges. Sweet right The call will end after an hour but you can redial as much as you want. I speak on the phone to my SO atleast 1 everyday and for hours on end at the week ends and ive only come close to my limit once in the 18 months i've had the plan.

I've had this for just over a year and i cant do without it. Nothing comes close to beating it.
                    As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Originally posted by leonsfangirl View Post
                      Late to the party on this but I'll post anyway as i think this may help you (and your wallet out)

If your on O2, get the international favourites add on. Wont help you for texts but it's freaking brilliant for calls. £10.50 a month (no contract) and you get 3000 minutes of international calls, you also get a "call me" number which will give you a local number for your SO to call you on without incurring international charges. Sweet right The call will end after an hour but you can redial as much as you want. I speak on the phone to my SO atleast 1 everyday and for hours on end at the week ends and ive only come close to my limit once in the 18 months i've had the plan.

I've had this for just over a year and i cant do without it. Nothing comes close to beating it.
                      This is actually what I went with in the end and it worked out pretty great . It's certainly no Skype (moneywise lol) and while I was away, we were able to fit in a couple hours a day, which while not as much as I would've liked, kept things going well. Cheers everyone

Comment

HeyWire is a free App for iOS devices (and probably Androids as well) that can text USA numbers (among others) for free. Him texting you back would cost though, but not if he also had an iOS device of some sorts that would have the app.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade_Crystal View Post
                          HeyWire is a free App for iOS devices (and probably Androids as well) that can text USA numbers (among others) for free. Him texting you back would cost though, but not if he also had an iOS device of some sorts that would have the app.
                          Please stop bumping old threads.

Comment

Working...
                          X