Connecting your smart phone to WiFi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting your smart phone to WiFi?

My boyfriend and I had our first "Skype sleepover" last night. It was nice when we fell asleep together...but his laptop kicked him off when it went into sleep mode less than a half hour later (although, I don't think he noticed xD) We were hoping it would stay on a lot longer than that...we expected it to kick us off at some point, but it did so way too early for my liking.
    So I was thinking about mentioning to him trying Skype through our phones. The screens are smaller, you can turn the brightness down, and it's just all around more comfortable to keep by you. Unfortunately, my phone doesn't enjoy staying connected to my 4G network...it kicks me off constantly, or just doesn't turn on at all.

Is there any way that I can connect my phone to my WiFi I use throughout my house?

Basically all recent smart phones have wifi options. How old is your phone? I have mine set to wifi all the time when I'm at home. Much more stable and faster

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyama View Post
      Basically all recent smart phones have wifi options. How old is your phone? I have mine set to wifi all the time when I'm at home. Much more stable and faster
      I bought my phone last summer! I should be able to go into some sort of a WiFi settings, right?

Comment

Probably but it still depends how old your model is. Have you checked your settings for wifi options?

Comment

Yes I did! And I figured it out! Do you know if it costs anything extra?
          (might end up deleting this thread now xD)

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney:) View Post
            Yes I did! And I figured it out! Do you know if it costs anything extra?
            (might end up deleting this thread now xD)
            Nope! AT&T actually recommended to me that I connect to WiFi every chance I can get. I'm even able to turn it on abroad (after making sure to turn off my network, in case they take a stab at pesky roaming charges). Basically, being able to connect to WiFi means you're no longer using your phone's data plan, but leeching off the network you're connected to. It shouldn't cost you a cent, and it won't bill off your data plan either, but rather, it uses your home network (much like wireless on a laptop).
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

You don't pay extra. You use the internet that the Wi-Fi is run through.

Comment

Perfect! Thank you all very much!

Comment

Google your phone model and "connect to Wi-fi" basically. All modern phones should technically speaking have that option.

Comment

Working...
                  X