Info only - Windows Live Messenger (MSN) to finally bite the bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info only - Windows Live Messenger (MSN) to finally bite the bullet

I confess to being somewhat heartbroken by the announcement that Microsoft are to pull WLM in favour of Skype in 2013.

Microsoft announced that Windows Live Messenger will be retired in favor of Skype worldwide except mainland China. Users using Windows Live Messenger are able to merge their Microsoft account with their Skype account, allowing them to communicate with their Messenger contacts via the Skype clients. Users will have until the first quarter of 2013 to make the transition.
    Not that I use WLM anymore, at all. However, I grew up using it - I found friends through it, it became part of my essential internet-life from 2001 - 2007/2008, and I'll feel somewhat empty without it being there! Even though I use a MacBook now...

Anybody else from that era going to feel a tug on the techy heart strings?

I still use Windows Live Messenger or MSN as we "used" to call it so yeah I'm going to miss it...Also, I kinda hate the Skype messenger. I hope they make it better to make up for the loss of WLM. We shall see.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
    Married April 18th, 2015!!
    Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

I do prefer the MSN text chat to Skype text chat.

Comment

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo :/ this heartbreaking :/ this is the way my SO and i used to chat from the beginning of our friendship, 3 years ago :/ i hate to think that MSN will be gone :/

Comment

It is very disappointing. My boyfriend and I both use MSN to communicate daily, so switching to a new messenger will take some getting used to. I'm not sure if we'll move to Skype or something else.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

For anyone who's interested, I've used aMSN in place of MSN for years. It's closer to MSN than Skype and I have always liked its variety of options and customisations preferable to MSN. This is sad, though. I always was an MSN and AIM user... Still am.

Comment

I used to use it all the time in Jr high to talk to all my friends, it was such a novelty back then. Can't say I am surprised its going down, I haven't logged on in years.

Comment

I, also, used MSN and AIM in high school. It was like *the* shit.

I couldn't even tell you the last time I logged on. I don't really chat anymore, but when I do it's on gmail or skype.

Comment

I'm a little happy, actually. I used to use it with the only guy who ever came close to breaking my heart, thinking of him still stings a little, always will, so it's one less reminder for me.
                  Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I was wondering what the whole upgrade your msn to skype under my messenger was about, was like erm...don't want, too. Oh well, I'll get to doing it, or maybe the SO and I will switch to something else. Thank you for the information!
                    https://wearenottrayvonmartin.tumblr.com/
                    Makes my heart feel better a tiny bit.

Comment

I hate skype and now they're forcing me to use it to keep in contact with my WML people? Ugh.

Notes:
                      Met: 8.17.09
                      Started Dating: 8.20.09
                      First Met: 10.2.10
                      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Although, my SO and I barely use it now (rare web chats is about it) but we used to use MSN all the time! We fell in love over it. Thats said that i have to start using Skype, i dont like it very much.
                        As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I have been using msn for years, so its a shame its going. Does that mean that Skype's going to get slower and slower if there stopping msn? It's always freezing during my conversations with hubby, sometimes we can't have the video on for this reason.

Why can't these big corps leave things alone, I hate it when things change...Oh my a sign of getting old lol

Started Writing - February 2010
                          First Visit - September 2010
                          Second Visit - June 2011
                          Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
                          Our Wedding Day - April 2012
                          Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
                          NOA1 - July 2012
                          NOA2 - December 2012
                          Fourth Visit - December 2012
                          Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

WLM has almost sentimental value for my SO and I, we've always used it

I just hate Microsoft right now.

Comment

Aww, end of an era. I definitely used it "back in the day." I haven't used it in years, though.
                              My heart belongs to a pilot!
                              ~*~
                              ~*~
                              [/center]

Comment

Working...
                              X