No announcement yet.

Info only - Windows Live Messenger (MSN) to finally bite the bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've been using it since .. forever and i sure won't start using skype. i personally never liked skype and i used it a lot with work.. sad, but it's just the way business works, no one really cares what the minority wants.

Comment

It was only a matter of time before WLM/MSN Messenger was axed. It doesn't fit in with Microsoft's vision anymore, and after their takeover of Skype it was definitely in it's final hours.

It is a shame, I remember the excitement when a new build of MSN Messenger was released - from being able to update your "Personal Message" (way before the era of Facebook!) to seeing those considerably larger and altogether more creepy emoticons, to broadcasting to the world what you were listening to and always being able to find someone to chat to.

Even if I do sign on now, out of my 415 contacts only 7 are online. A sad time indeed - I rarely use Skype, only to video call my SO, and it certainly doesn't serve as a replacement for WLM. Nonetheless, axed it will be, so I suppose we have to just move on....

Comment

To be honest, I only started using WLM this year so it was a real bummer when I heard about it. I really prefer MSN's look in terms of start up, contact view, text chats, and emoticons. Skype seems to have more issues for me, and I'd have to convince my darling to get an account. It sucks, we had special emoticons that were important to us in MSN. Does anyone know if this is possible in Skype?
        Furthermore, I sure hope there is no way they could accidentally delete my conversation logs. I would be so upset!

Comment

I used to use WLM all the time, but then i had major issues with it so i switched to skype, it'll be sad to see WLM go but out with the old and in with the new, also you can now sign into skype with a microsoft account such as hotmail, outlook or messenger. What that does is if you already have a skype account you can merge it with your hotmail/messenger/outlook account and all of your contacts will be in one place.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

When my SO and I were still long distance, we used nothing but MSN to talk to each other, so it's got sentimental value for me as well! I never use it anymore so it doesn't really matter, but it was like a gift from heaven a few years ago

Comment

Ohh noooooo I used MSN growing up and preferred it over AIM because you could play those games and send drawings to your friends. Given I hardly use it ever nowadays but it definitely brings back good memories. At least you can still keep your MSN contacts if you do transfer over to Skype.

Comment

Going to miss the puzzle game (solve a puzzle together) me and my SO play now and then, even if the application crashed often.
                Yet been able to find a descent replacement. We're both Skype dislikers and Yahoo is a bit annoying spamming error lines with cam on. It keeps saying our connection is terrible while we both have a pretty descent connection (over 3MB/s download speed and 400KB/s upload speed).

Comment

Alternatives for MSN are Skype (MSN and Skype are actually being merged sort-of because now you can login to Skype with your Microsoft account) and Oovoo. Both are available on mobile and desktop but Oovoo allows up to 12 video messages for free. Some people have reported better performance from it, but the GUI isn't as good as Skype, in my opinion. Both have premium versions. For Skype, you have to go Premium if your video chat has three or more people, but you do get unlimited cell phone and landline calling in the US and Canada if you do that as well. You also have the ability to purchase a real phone number for Skype, as well as being able to receive texts. Screen sharing is a standard for both premium services (but it's worth noting that Skype used to have this as a free feature before they made it a premium). Oovoo has priority support chat, 1000 minutes of video chat storage and no ads as part of their premium package. Skype does allow you to play games with the caller and so does Oovoo. If it's performance you want, go for Oovoo.

If you want it to just work and want a cleaner interface, try Skype.

Comment

We both swapped over to Skype now. Missing some of the WLM features now and then but okai, can live with it. Only thing bothering us at the moment is that randomly from one of our sides the messages never arrive until one of us reboots Skype. Like we're chatting normally and suddenly my messages ain't arriving anymore at her side but her messages still work fine. Another time it's the opposite. Anyone else with this issue? :s

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                      Skype does allow you to play games with the caller and so does Oovoo. If it's performance you want, go for Oovoo.
                      O.o skype lets you play games? Where do I find this??

Met Online: 02/2012
                      Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
                      First Met in person: 09/22/2012
                      Started Dating: 10/30/2012
                      Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

Originally posted by kayla_622 View Post
                        O.o skype lets you play games? Where do I find this??
                        Not sure but a quick look got me at this app page from Tools -> Apps -> Get Apps in a chat window.
                        -> https://shop.skype.com/apps/?intsrc=...-6.1-_-go-apps
                        Some free, some not.

Comment

Never noticed this before. Thanks a bunch!

Met Online: 02/2012
                          Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
                          First Met in person: 09/22/2012
                          Started Dating: 10/30/2012
                          Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

Very sad indeed! I've been on MSN for many, many years. I've switched to Yahoo IM...don't like Skype's IM.

Comment

Yahoo messanger is the best. Have been using it all my online life and i think it beats all the other programs ( obviously I am biased :P ) Gchat is okay too I guess. Never could get used to WLM ...but it does seem to be the posterboy for chat programs and i think it was the most popular worlwide.

Anyways... funny all of oyu hate skype chat and avoid it. It took a bit for me to get used to it, but i did eventually and that's all my SO and I used for a good long time ( until I convinced him to create a yahoo mess account mwahaha ) and that is what we fell inlove over.

Comment

I feel you... I've always been using MSN before its end forced me on Skype. But now I'm good with Skype... I moved in early on it to accommodate and not mourn over MSN on its official down date. I will admit that Skype is way cooler for calls and more efficient. I miss MSN for the memories... but the bugs the programs had for me are kind of on equal ground, so no hard feelings. I only miss the emoticons on MSN most! I wish they hadn't done that...

Comment

Working...
                                X