No announcement yet.

E- readers - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a lot of research for a not so tech-savy friend of mine what e-reader to get.
    Since here in Europe having a kindle/barnes&nobles one was not so usefull the next best thing seemed to be the Sony, but looking into reviews there are a lottttt of people with problems. It has troubles with some formats and screws up displaying them.
    I ended up getting her the Kobo Glow and it has been amazing. The extra money for the back-light has totally paid of, you can set it at multiple intensity levels so really convenient whenever you want to read and it lasts for ages.
    The rest of the interface with Wifi etc is not spectecular, but same as the other e-readers with the whole nifty functions to keep reading easy.
    I downloaded some books for her (yes.. illegal *shame*) that she already had in hardcover and it's just drag-and-drop like a USB-drive.

So +1 for Kobo (Glow)

Comment

Originally posted by Safihre View Post
      I did a lot of research for a not so tech-savy friend of mine what e-reader to get.
      Since here in Europe having a kindle/barnes&nobles one was not so usefull the next best thing seemed to be the Sony, but looking into reviews there are a lottttt of people with problems. It has troubles with some formats and screws up displaying them.
      I ended up getting her the Kobo Glow and it has been amazing. The extra money for the back-light has totally paid of, you can set it at multiple intensity levels so really convenient whenever you want to read and it lasts for ages.
      The rest of the interface with Wifi etc is not spectecular, but same as the other e-readers with the whole nifty functions to keep reading easy.
      I downloaded some books for her (yes.. illegal *shame*) that she already had in hardcover and it's just drag-and-drop like a USB-drive.

So +1 for Kobo (Glow)

Uau!! I am really planning on the kobo. thanks so much actually I've talked to my SO which is dutch and I think there these stuff are cheaped. Or at least it seems. I saw a youtube tutorial and actually between the normal kobo and the glo, the glo is so much faster. But still, giving 149 euros for an e-reader seems too much for me. Thank you for the help

Comment

Originally posted by ams.201220 View Post
        You can rent ebooks from https://ebookfling.com/ for free.

thanks! unfortunately I can't sign up, because only people from the US can do it

Comment

Originally posted by Jess! View Post
          thanks! unfortunately I can't sign up, because only people from the US can do it
          Ahhhh! I'm so sorry I had no idea!

First met: June 2012
          Became Committed: June 04, 2012
          Entered an LDR: July 01, 2012
          Next Visit: October 2013!

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

Originally posted by ams.201220 View Post
            Ahhhh! I'm so sorry I had no idea!
            Yeah, I understood no problems! as we say in my language: "intention is what counts"! :P if this makes any sense in english^^

Comment

Yeah, I understood no problems! as we say in my language: "intention is what counts"! :P if this makes any sense in english^^
              Haha, it does! We have the same phrase "It's the thought that counts!" I wish you the best of luck on your e-reader quest!

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

My only eReader experience was a SONY Digital Book Reader PRS-300 which you can find here. Apparently they're not available anymore. Someone gifted it to me a couple of years back and it has never disappointed me one single time.

Comment

I was on Facebook and I realized that I follow Project Gutenberg which offers some free ebooks! See if it allows you to use it! https://www.gutenberg.org/

XXX XXX

Comment

Thank you! That was a great help. Im inclined for the kobo because of the Kindle thing of having to buy their books... But kobo reads pdf, right? I don't know what is "white all readers", but I think I understood it correctly. The thing is, the kobo mini costs 89euros and for me that is still a bit :/ the 'normal size one' costs I believe 119 euros. The pdf and e.pub thing is a great deal and it matters to me! and thanks for the wi-fi

I don't get why are they so expensive. In here no one I know has one!
                    Oops, that was supposed to be "while". E-readers are not made (primarily) to read pdf. If you plan on reading a lot of pdfs, especially with charts or figures, you'd need a tablet.The readers really only work for text. I use the mobi pocket reader programme to convert from pdf to epub (or other formats) because calibre regularly messed it up and couldn't deal with Polish letters.

The kobo Touch I have costs 79€ (in Germany) now. I bought it for 99€ a year ago I think, so there's no way it still costs more than 100€.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
                      Oops, that was supposed to be "while". E-readers are not made (primarily) to read pdf. If you plan on reading a lot of pdfs, especially with charts or figures, you'd need a tablet.The readers really only work for text. I use the mobi pocket reader programme to convert from pdf to epub (or other formats) because calibre regularly messed it up and couldn't deal with Polish letters.

The kobo Touch I have costs 79€ (in Germany) now. I bought it for 99€ a year ago I think, so there's no way it still costs more than 100€.
                      Thank you! Yeah, I read pdf but not only.
                      Believe me, here they are more expensive!!
                      But thank you for saying that :P because now I checked the page and in a matter of 2 weeks or so, they made a promotion! I can now buy a kobo touch for that price too. but as you can check they also had the price I saw a couple of weeks ago: 119 euros. (https://www.fnac.pt/Kobo-eReader-Tou...To=0&Nu=3&Fr=0).

In germany I think this things are cheaper. and I checked in the Netherlands as well, and it was cheaper than here. I understand what you said, but there is a way it costs more, prices are not the same and they have to do with taxes as so on and so forth...

Comment

Yeah, I see. The readers are more expensive in Poland, too. I'd just order from abroad or possibly order to your SO and have him send it (I do that with my mum if something I want to buy is cheaper/only available in Germany).

Comment

Yeah, I see. The readers are more expensive in Poland, too. I'd just order from abroad or possibly order to your SO and have him send it (I do that with my mum if something I want to buy is cheaper/only available in Germany).
                          Great idea :P I am happy I didn't buy it already. I think I will go with the touch, although the glo is faster. The thing is the shipping it's expensive too, so I thought I would buy it in the netherlands or here, which is doable now. The mini costs now 50 euros, but I believe it's too small.

Thank you!

Comment

I can't imagine anything with a display smaller than the one the touch has, being very comfortable for reading. The touch is already smaller and lighter than most books I'd usually read, so there's also no reason it would have to be even smaller.

I'm sorry if you've looked into it already, but maybe you can get a used one somewhere? I know a few people who got the glo when it came out and sold their old kobo touch. If you don't mind getting a used one, you could try ebay and the like?

Comment

I can't imagine anything with a display smaller than the one the touch has, being very comfortable for reading. The touch is already smaller and lighter than most books I'd usually read, so there's also no reason it would have to be even smaller.

I'm sorry if you've looked into it already, but maybe you can get a used one somewhere? I know a few people who got the glo when it came out and sold their old kobo touch. If you don't mind getting a used one, you could try ebay and the like?

Yes, I thought about it, but I think it's quite risky. I wouldn't mind, but being so afordable now I don't know if it's worth it, and I still would have the 2-years guaranty if anythyng happens. The mini seems very tiny indeed. I would like to have an e-reader for 'normal' reading but also academic, so the touch is best!

Comment

Working...
                              X