Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International Texting?! No charge!

I just wanted to post this to tell everyone about an app called "Textplus"

Maybe some of you have already heard about it, or maybe not!

As long as one of you has the app on their phone, you can text internationally without the charge! If my SO didn't have this app on his phone, we wouldn't be able to text so easily. It's very nice! Instead of him texting me from his normal number, Textplus gives him a "local" number that doesn't charge me. Right now I think it's only available for U.S. and Canada, but as long as one of you has the app, it will work. We both love to text throughout the day, so it's much more convenient than trying to find alternate ways like using email and whatnot.

Here is the link:
    https://www.textplus.com/

Textplus has been so important for me and my SO, it lets me text him from italy or england to the states, i really feel like it helped our relationship quite a bit
    Other than that there is another app, but you both need smartphones, called viber, and you can both call and text for free no matter where you are.

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

Wow you are a lifesaver! I would have never even thought of searching for this...My boyfriend lives in Canada and we have been relying on emails.
      Do you know if I download it and send him messages if it will charge him if he has unlimited texts? I don't want to take any chances.

Comment

I rely heavily on whatsapp, twitter direct messages and Line to communicate with my friends and family at home. While whatsapp and Line require both users to have smart phones, twitter direct messages work for people who don't have smart phones too. Between these three, I've never spent a cent on texting. (:

Comment

I loved textplus however it wasnt always 100% dependent.

However I think this was down to Crickek (USA provider) than the app - they blocked him sending texts back for some stupid reason.

But other than that we loved it!
          Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Originally posted by NineInchNails_x View Post
            Wow you are a lifesaver! I would have never even thought of searching for this...My boyfriend lives in Canada and we have been relying on emails.
            Do you know if I download it and send him messages if it will charge him if he has unlimited texts? I don't want to take any chances.
            No charge if you have unlimited texting

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

Our big worry has been the price of international texting. This is a great app. Hope they update it to have Russia. Thanks!

Comment

Great find thanks for sharing My SO and i have Blackberrys now so use blackberry messenger instead but this would have saved me a small fortune just over a month ago.
                As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Me and my SO tried all sorts of different messengers. Whatsapp is really awesome and reliable, but if you have an Android phone you have to pay 2$ per year to use it...

But we both really liked Viber. You can also make free calls with it
                  Close together or far apart, you're forever in my heart.

Comment

Oh the other thing we did was emails. I have an iphone and he has a normal phone but an email address attatched to it (phonenumber@cricket etcetc) that go to his phone as texts - so that was our way when textplus went weird on us.

Took us over a year to figure it out though...
                    Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

a few options that will work depending on your phones.
                      If both of you have a blackberry, you can bbm (blackberry messenger) for free with anyone in the world. You can text, send pictures or voice notes with it as well.

Also, if you both have smartphones you can use the whatsapp application. Basically just like bbm, but can be used with any smartphones.
                      We just switched to using this because my SO switched from his blackberry to an iphone, but we can still talk.

Comment

My partner's considering an iPhone. Posting to keep this in my history so I can remember it. :P This would save me loads...
                        { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                        Met online: February 2009
                        Feelings confessed: December 2010
                        Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                        Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                        First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                        Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                        Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                        Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                        to be continued...

Comment

Try HeyWire.

It's an android app that allows you to text to the US, Canada and other selected countries for free STRAIGHT TO THEIR PHONE even tho your SO doesn't have an android or the application on his phone, you can still text him for free. I use this to text my SO in the US (and he doesnt have a smartphone) and all i need is to connect to a wifi or mobile internet. I don't pay for anything just be sure you're connected to a wifi, if you're using mobile internet, check your provider for rates if you have data plans. But I just use the free wifi and yeaaa.
                          sigpic
                          Nobody knows who I really am
                          Maybe they just don't give a damn
                          But if I ever need someone to come along
                          I know you would follow me, and keep me strong

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
                            My partner's considering an iPhone. Posting to keep this in my history so I can remember it. :P This would save me loads...
                            If your SO is considering an iphone it would work well with many messengers if you also have a smart phone. Or if i is an option for you to also get an iphone, you just need to download skype and you can face time whenever you want! the only way it would cost you is if you are using data and do not have a data plan. You either need to have an unlimited data plan or be connected to a wireless connection.

Comment

if you both have iphones with the I.OS 5 update you can send free "imessages" to each other internationally!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X