hmmm Phone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm Phone help?

Okay, so I'm poor, too poor to afford my own cell phone... I have to use " Safe link wireless " A free phone given to me by the government. I get 250 free minutes each month. Right now I use the phone for appointments and so work can contact me.

My SO should be getting a cell phone eventually. Which I'm excited about but I wont get to talk to him much on the phone due to only having 250 minutes for the whole month, plus my mom is sick so most of the calls will go to family.

Now. I know getting a government to get me a phone will get me bitched at, about what our taxes go for.
    But I need to have something in case of emergency.

When I start school I'll get $75 a month. Every penny of which will go to seeing my SO.

Just so everyone knows I'm not mooching off of my government. If I had the means to get my own phone I would. The free phone we get is cheap no camera, no flip, no video, no internet. Its literally just your basic need phone and if we want more minutes we have to buy them, which I dont have money for. so I have to watch my minutes closely.

Are there any sites or something that would allow me to call/text for free.

I used to use Icall a free calling app for the computer, the calls were only 5 min long but... it stopped working on me.

so Icall is out of the question.

I'm hoping my parents get me the Ipod touch for christmas the one with the camera. so I can use a thing called free call/free text which lets people call you for free, Id have to wait for him to call me, but it would let me text for free.

But what can I use until then? My parents may not get me the ipod touch. but I'm really hoping they do.
    " There is always hope.
    "

Can you not afford a cheap phone once you start school and are receiving the 75 per month? That should afford you a phone with the ability to text/call, and depending on the plan, you should still have some to set aside for seeing your SO.

EDIT: My phone bill, for example, the base rate is around 30.00-40.00 per month. I pay extra to use phone MSN and for unlimited texting.
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

you can call via skype too cant you?
      Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

Skype stopped working for me so I have to use facebook chat which oddly works even tho its run through skype. There is no way to fix it I've tried five times. :/

And Eclair what phone company do you use?
        " There is always hope.
        "

Comment

I use AT&T.

I have a very basic plan with 450 minutes a month. I can't remember if I get a certain number of text messages with that package, but I do know they have various text messaging plans. I have unlimited national, which is 20.00 a month. I'm not sure how much using MSN on my phone costs exactly? It seems to be around 15.00 for me to use it on a daily basis (and frequently), but I have yet to actually get an exact price on it. I also pay 3.99 a month for cheaper international calling rates. However, I do think the base plan is 40.00 max. My phone bill varies/can get quite expensive, personally, but I know back when I was budgeting on it, it was not expensive at all. There's also the option of sharing a plan? I know when I was on my grandfather's phone plan, my phone bill, without all the features, was 12.99 a month.
          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
          Met online: February 2009
          Feelings confessed: December 2010
          Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
          Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
          First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
          Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
          Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
          Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
          to be continued...

Comment

You can make free phone calls in the US using a google mail account. And there are a lot of websites that let you text for free.

Comment

Have you tried using oovoo?

Comment

I am in the US and my boyfriend is in Canada and ooVoo works better for me. Skype is too laggy..
                I believe on both skype and oovoo you can call landlines.
                https://www3.goober.com/ This looks like a pretty legit website for free calling but I am not sure. I have never used it before but it looks professional.

Comment

Working...
                X