Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World of Warcraft?

Help!

Okay so... My SO and I met through a game called DragonRealms. It is a MMORPG that is entirely text based. This past weekend he asked me if I would be interested in playing WOW with him, which essentially means that he would leave DR to play *sniffles* which I kind of don't like seeing as that's how we met and our Prydaen Empaths are bonded and all that.

So! I want to know opinions. Do you play WOW? Do you play it with your spouse? Is it something that someone who primarily play text based RPGs would be interested in?

I guess I need to know more about it and I want to start playing and all of that but A.) I don't have a great internet connection B.) he said something about speaking over a microphone C.) the trial is only 10 days?!

grrr....

I don't know *too* much about it, but I do know that the trial period is short. My sister played it for a while. I don't believe a microphone is required though; I remember other friends playing it without mics. I think you have to pay subscription fees up front, too. But I'm not 100% on that.

Here's Blizzard's FAQ site for WoW. Blizzard being WoW's parent company: https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/general.html

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

We play Wow together. It's how we met. If you are used to text based games WoW will blow you away. It's visually rich with complex graphics and story lines. There's a reason why 11 million people pay $15 per month to play. There is a cost for the software and then an ongoing monthly subscription fee (~$15). Ten days will be enough to see if you enjoy the game. You don't have to use a microphone but it is fun to be able to speak together when you go on adventures with your characters. There is a instant messenger function within the game. The game itself does require a reasonably stable internet connection but if you do get disconnected you just reconnect and keep going. It's a great game, been playing for nearly two years now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

Comment

Wait...the trail if you buy the software is 30 days...yes its worth playing more interaction If you get on the right server..than its more rping if you find the right group...Č and I play...yes its how we met. And, we both still play. Her not as much. But its a blast playing together. And, you can do so much on it with/with out your SO. It kills time for me lol.
        Dear God the only thing I ask of you
        Is to hold her when I'm not around
        When I'm much too far away
        -Avenged Sevenfold "Dear God"

Comment

You'll know if you want to play it within ten days or not.

Personally, I really like WoW. It is, hands down, the very best MMO there is, and it's even better if you have a spouse who plays with you. (I broke up with the person I played with, and Obi refuses to try it, which is the main reason I no longer play. I would go back if Obi would play too - and am thinking of going back anyway)

You do need a decent internet connection and PC, but not the best. You can get away with a lot.

For role play specifically, WoW is not the best. Even on a rp server, no one actually role plays or attempts to stay in character. But the story line, game content, originality of quests and the pretty colours all make up for that. You do need to play a lot to make it worthwhile though, and it can be addictive in the bad way. If your self control is poor or you have an obsessive personality, this is not the game for you.

You can opt to play without a microphone, most people don't use their mics for questing alone or in small parties. The only time you really "need" one is in raids (group adventures of ten or more players) and most guilds will allow you to just listen if you don't have a mic or don't want to use one. I generally chose not to use one, and got by just fine... it's difficult to type during combat though, which is why people like the mic so much.
          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

We met in WoW too. I never used a mic, although it would have been easier in raids. It's great to play with your s/o. It's not so good if only one of you plays... it's a huge time sink. But damn is it a fun one.

Comment

My mom plays it!

"Together forever but never apart, maybe in distance but never in heart!"

Met: 9.15.08
              Started Dating: 10.17.08
              Been an LDR since: 10.17.08
              First time meeting: 5.28.09 - 6.2.09

Comment

My SO and I have casually talked about playing WoW together, and after reading these posts, I'm dying to. More than likely we'd both get sucked right in, though. We're both the sort to waste gads of time on games. But still... it looks like a blast!
                My heart belongs to a pilot!
                ~*~
                ~*~
                [/center]

Comment

Brandon used to play it alot, but I think we're both too busy to get into it right now :P Maybe after he graduates... It's been something I've wanted to look into for a long time, but buying everything needed for it would probably get pretty expensive... So we play Halo instead XD

Comment

Kevin and I play WoW together also, and as other have stated it's how we met. Everyone has answered your questions pretty well, so I won't repeat them. If you do have any other questions please let me know.

Comment

I personally have no interest in WoW but I have friends who play it and they love it. I personally go for the more social MMO's (Wonderland Online, MapleStory, AsdaStory, etc.) ^^;

First Met Online: May 08
                      Became a Couple: 4.11.09
                      First Visit: 7.27.11 - 8.11.11
                      Second Visit: 9.15.12 - 9.23.12
                      Third Visit: 7.6.13 - 7.14.13

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                        For role play specifically, WoW is not the best. Even on a rp server, no one actually role plays or attempts to stay in character. But the story line, game content, originality of quests and the pretty colours all make up for that. You do need to play a lot to make it worthwhile though, and it can be addictive in the bad way. If your self control is poor or you have an obsessive personality, this is not the game for you.
                        I love the role play aspects of DR. I am a very social player and have multiple characters with different personalities... I totally have an addictive personality. Hence the four characters on the two accounts so I can play simultaneously...

Thanks for all of the input! It's helped. I don't think I have an answer yet. But it's helped. Ryan says there is like a trial of the software as well so you don't have to purchase the game before taking a trial. I don't know. I was really sleepy when he was explaining it.

Comment

Since my boyfriend used to play WoW I got a little interested in it myself, but it was only a couple days ago that he renewed his subscription and so sent me an invite to play for the free 10 day trial.

So far I really enjoy it but my biggest complaint is how difficult they make it for people to play together what with the whole Horde/Alliance thing as well playing on different servers. My bf already had a Human character that's leveled up a good amount but when I first heard of the game I was hellbent on playing a Tauren (minor cow obsession peaking through), which I didn't realize meant we couldn't play together. He did switch to another character in the Horde but it's not leveled as high so I felt bad (I have an Alliance character too but she's not really all that fun). Also, a friend of mine was really excited when she heard I started playing and wanted me to play with her until I realized we were on different servers and if I wanted to switch to hers I'd have to start a new character over from scratch. Ugh.

I know they're sort of silly complaints though xD

Comment

I'm hearing you on that Rosebud. I've moved my mc onto different servers so many times to play with different people, it's just frustrating... and it's a huge time sink as it is, I can't manage more than one character unless I'm unemployed!
                            And most of my mates are alliance, and I'm a horde girl. Very frustrating... your faction really influences the feel of game-play imo.
                            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

WoW is an excelent game in terms of things to keep you busy till you next have to see your SO etc. The PvP aspects, questing aspects (pve) and even roleplaying aspects are brilliant if you know where to find it. Overall I was a player since beta and loved the game but you have to really watch how much time this game consumes. By all means play with your SO but as a personal experiance have self control when playing this game. It does get to the point of being addictive if you arent careful and cannot monitor yourself.

otherwise, go for it!
                              Last edited by Shortstuff; October 31, 2010, 12:09 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                              X