Must pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must pack

So its still months away before I have to really pack or get ready. But I been excited and im a little silly like this, and am already getting things for my trip.I have never been away for months and so i been slowly getting things I need. Going over to the UK. Any ways the question is, what are your travelling essentials? I'll be going shopping tomorrow, plan to get some face wash, eyeliner, things I need. I been clothes shopping think i'm set, but what are some of your "Must take, can't go without" items? Any packing advice? Besides the weight limit and the items not allowed on. Those of you from the UK or been over there, anything I should know, or want to bring? Besides a warm sweater and good shoes.

Im just excited! And with shopping tomorrow, little ideas would be nice!
    I love you Nathan <3
    sigpic
    5/25/09 <3

Have fun on your trip! that's so exciting (: I've never been to the UK, but definitely invest in some good headphones for the plane ride. It's a long flight so stock up magazines, books, music, etc, to keep yourself from going insane. Also, I like to bring a small blanket with my when I travel and foreign places because it's a little piece of home and it's comforting! OH, I don't know if the outlets are the same in the UK as they are in the US. I know places I have been to that are out of the country have different outlets so I had to search for converters so that's something to look into for all your chargers and whatnot.
    If I think of anything else, I will post!

Comment

I should also note that for some things, you're going to need a voltage converter. I believe it's cameras, phones, and laptops that can be plugged directly into an outlet/plug adapter (I've never taken my laptop with me overseas, but I've always been able to plug my phone and camera battery charger directly into the plug adapter without issue in different places in Europe), but if you're bringing something such as a hair straightener, you're going to need a voltage converter.

When it comes to flights, I tend to bring music, maybe an audio book, some novels, and a notebook with a variety of pencils and pens. Occasionally I'll bring a colouring book. I love math as well, so I've also brought math print outs and my boyfriend lent me a math textbook; reason I mention math is some people enjoy crossword puzzles, Sudoku (sp), or those books that have a variety of games in them. It's good to have something to keep your mind/hands busy as opposed to simply reading, reading, reading, music, music, music, and watching in-flight movies. I'm unable to sleep on planes, so it also allows me to get my mind off the tired. :P

I think my number one space saver is wear your sweatshirts. I've only ever travelled to Europe in the summertime and it's been too warm here for a sweater, really, but depending on how thick your sweaters/hoodies are, you can save quite a bit of space by wearing as many layers as possible without being too uncomfortable. I tend to wear a hoodie and then tie my thicker, heavier sweatshirt around my waist; I've never been stopped for it.

Oh, and snacks! Don't forget snacks! Plane food is probably worse than what you were served at your high school cafeteria. But make every bite last. Seriously. You can kill a good 20-30 minutes munching on airline food.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
      Met online: February 2009
      Feelings confessed: December 2010
      Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
      Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
      First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
      Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
      Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
      Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

I'm definitely more of a minimalist when it comes to packing/traveling. My general rule for packing is ONLY pack what you ABSOLUTELY NEED. Then take out half. But most people aren't okay with traveling 3 months with only 3 pairs of underwear, 3 shirts and 2 pants... But in general, less is more. Remember, the UK will have eye liner and t shirts too. And you'll want to buy stuff when you get there. Plus it'll be a cute little keep sake when you get home "awww this is the eye liner I bought with my boo in the UK when we were doing such and such"

Airplane food: in the States they have stopped giving out food period. I'm talking not even freaking peanuts. I'm a snacker and always try to bring the following on a long flight -a bready food (sandwich, bagel w/ cream cheese, focaccia, etc), a salty snack (chips, chex mix, pretzels) and a sweet snack (I like chocolate stuff, but cookies, candy, etc). Also, bring an empty water bottle you can fill up before you get on the plane. Some airlines aren't even giving out drinks anymore! The nerve!

Comment

Thank you guys so much, forgot about the voltage converter. When my SO came he brought one for him it didn't even occur to me i might need one. And the trip i'll most likely get there the next day so ill need snacks, i'll add that to my list of things before I go. Thanks guys so much! I think im set on entertainment. And will def be wearing my sweater now! Thanks everyone!
          I love you Nathan <3
          sigpic
          5/25/09 <3

Comment

I agree with everyone else. I just skimmed but don't bring anything you can get get when you are there. Leave the toothpaste and facewash at home those things really add to the weight limit.

Comment

I just wanted to add my two cents... It might be wise to buy snacks in the airport departures lounge because then you don't have to worry about it not making through security, though I'm sure if you learn what's allowed and whats not it'll be okay. Also I second the thing about not bringing things you can buy in the UK. I love my E45 lotion I got in the UK with my boyfriend and anything else I get from the UK.. it's so nice.. oh and my last trip my boyfriend actually bought me hair elastics prior to my arrival and they are amazing hair elastics too. And also shampoo and condiditioner are good to buy there, as they can add weight as well. I think you're off to a good start, I understand the excitement of wanting to start packing right away and I'm sure you'll think of everything you need to bring. Oh for the airplane you might want to have some british pounds easy to access especially if you want to watch inflight entertainment.. I think it might be on all planes, but they either have special headphones or you can buy a headphone adapter for the plane.. it was less than five pounds.. i think like 1.75 or 2.75.. and a book is great and a sketchpad, journal, activity book... Yeah I think that's about good for my little bit of advice.. enjoy packing and getting ready

Comment

Originally posted by squeeker View Post
                I just wanted to add my two cents... It might be wise to buy snacks in the airport departures lounge because then you don't have to worry about it not making through security, though I'm sure if you learn what's allowed and whats not it'll be okay. Also I second the thing about not bringing things you can buy in the UK. I love my E45 lotion I got in the UK with my boyfriend and anything else I get from the UK.. it's so nice.. oh and my last trip my boyfriend actually bought me hair elastics prior to my arrival and they are amazing hair elastics too. And also shampoo and condiditioner are good to buy there, as they can add weight as well. I think you're off to a good start, I understand the excitement of wanting to start packing right away and I'm sure you'll think of everything you need to bring. Oh for the airplane you might want to have some british pounds easy to access especially if you want to watch inflight entertainment.. I think it might be on all planes, but they either have special headphones or you can buy a headphone adapter for the plane.. it was less than five pounds.. i think like 1.75 or 2.75.. and a book is great and a sketchpad, journal, activity book... Yeah I think that's about good for my little bit of advice.. enjoy packing and getting ready
                You should be able to bring sealed snacks with you, at least I've always been able to. :P

And you have to pay for headphone adapters now? D: kiara_silver, what airline will you be flying with? That plays into it too, really. Like with Delta, I was given free lunches/dinners and also free pretzels and peanuts and fruit bars about 3 times per each flight. They came round to offer drinks frequently. My boyfriend will be flying with US Airways and he gets free lunches on two flights but only an "in-flight cafe" on his other two flights, where he'll have to buy any food he wants to eat off the plane. With Delta I was given free headphones and also able to use my iPod headphones. I would look carefully at your airline's website and the details of your flights to determine, as best as you can, what you're going to be offered for free and what they're going to ask you to pay for.

@lucybelle, bringing an empty water bottle is a genius idea! I never thought of that. I always bought my $5+ waters after security.
                { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                Met online: February 2009
                Feelings confessed: December 2010
                Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                to be continued...

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
                  You should be able to bring sealed snacks with you, at least I've always been able to. :P

And you have to pay for headphone adapters now? D: kiara_silver, what airline will you be flying with? That plays into it too, really. Like with Delta, I was given free lunches/dinners and also free pretzels and peanuts and fruit bars about 3 times per each flight. They came round to offer drinks frequently. My boyfriend will be flying with US Airways and he gets free lunches on two flights but only an "in-flight cafe" on his other two flights, where he'll have to buy any food he wants to eat off the plane. With Delta I was given free headphones and also able to use my iPod headphones. I would look carefully at your airline's website and the details of your flights to determine, as best as you can, what you're going to be offered for free and what they're going to ask you to pay for.

@lucybelle, bringing an empty water bottle is a genius idea! I never thought of that. I always bought my $5+ waters after security.
                  Well I guess they don't charge on all flights, I didn't know that! lol I would assume kiara_silver would be more likely to travel on the same airline as you as you're both from California by the looks of things... But it's only a one time charge for the adapter and I got to keep it so I wasn't too worried. lol I was flying with Thomas Cook Canada-UK so I guess there's a difference with US flights.. haha.

I bought more snacks my first flight because I wasn't sure whether there'd be food or anything but my second flight I think I just bought some cashews, I think buying a snack in the departures lounge also gives me something to do, though I'm sure there are snacks you can bring that would definitely be allowed through, I just wanted to have as little to worry about as I went through security as possible. haha. And the water thing is definitely a good idea, Thomas Cook airplanes have always supplied me with a little bottle of water which my last flights I made last the whole way through (when I was thirsty I just drank as minimally as possible...) which is better for me because I don't like to get up and use the washrooms all the time so I would rather not feel like I have to finish a whole bottle of water and the little one. But it's not good to be thirsty either so it's a good idea to either buy water in the departures lounge or bring and empty water bottle and fill it up.

Comment

Working...
                  X