First time on a airplane O.o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time on a airplane O.o

Hey everybody its been a few months since last time i logged in i hope y'all are doing just fine

well finally after over a year of not seeing my SO in person im traveling around 9,781 miles across the sea to visit him for 2weeks!
    i have always been scared of airplanes and never planned on getting in to one, but ill do what ever it takes to be with my babe even if i have to do more that 8 flight scales to get to where his base is in Japan.
    he's been leading me to the whole trip process and i feel more than ready for this, feels kinda unbelievable that I am traveling this far to a whole different country and it will be a worth life experience

any tips, comments, share you're first trip too!

Well, my first trip on an airplane was when I was 6 weeks old, so, I can't say that I really remember the experience However, as I've recently become a frequent flyer, I have plenty of tips:

--Get there early. At LEAST 2.5 hours in advance, I would make it 3 if you wanted to be safe. It's much better to have a bit of time to kill if you get there early than freaking out in the security line because you're afraid you're going to miss your flight. Believe me, I've been there.
    --Bring as many things as you can comfortably carry to entertain yourself--a laptop, books, etc. I find that I get bored with reading/doing one thing for more than 2-3 hours, and it's a long flight to Japan.
    --Try to sleep on the plane if you can. Tell me how if you manage to do this, because I never can, but it kills time and you won't be a zombie after the adrenaline rush from seeing your SO wears off.
    --Remind yourself that you're much, much more likely to die in a car accident than something to go wrong on a plane, and you probably drive a car every day without fear. Flying is probably the safest mode of transportation out there.

Have fun!

ETA: Also, be sure to check in online and print out your boarding pass (or passes, if you have connecting flights) the night before you leave. This will save your sanity at the airport as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CynicalQuixotic View Post
      Well, my first trip on an airplane was when I was 6 weeks old, so, I can't say that I really remember the experience However, as I've recently become a frequent flyer, I have plenty of tips:

--Get there early. At LEAST 2.5 hours in advance, I would make it 3 if you wanted to be safe. It's much better to have a bit of time to kill if you get there early than freaking out in the security line because you're afraid you're going to miss your flight. Believe me, I've been there.
      --Bring as many things as you can comfortably carry to entertain yourself--a laptop, books, etc. I find that I get bored with reading/doing one thing for more than 2-3 hours, and it's a long flight to Japan.
      --Try to sleep on the plane if you can. Tell me how if you manage to do this, because I never can, but it kills time and you won't be a zombie after the adrenaline rush from seeing your SO wears off.
      --Remind yourself that you're much, much more likely to die in a car accident than something to go wrong on a plane, and you probably drive a car every day without fear. Flying is probably the safest mode of transportation out there.

Have fun!
      This is all great advice, also try to drink TONS of water in the airports and while flying. It will help to lessen some of the fatigue of jet lag and prevent you from getting dehydrated. No matter how much water I drink I always end up with a headache from flying. Be proactive and make sure to have plenty of water, pain killers, sleeping pills and immune boosters. Who knows if you will need it all but you will be sad if you do and you dont have it.

Best of luck and have a wonderful trip!

Finding myself.

Comment

The previous posters have given great advice. Ginger Ale on the plane helps with the feeling queasy, or if you have any kind of ginger candy that should work great too. Bring some motion sickness or sleeping pills if you're prone to getting motion sick. Bring a sweatshirt and socks. It's always cold on a plane and on an 11 hour flight you might want to take your shoes off. Stand up and walk around. There's usually a little space near the emergency exit if you feel like you've been sitting too long.

Comment

The rest of the advice is spot on. The only thing I have to add is how I manage to sleep like a baby on every flight I take.

I typically get a window seat so I can lean against it. Wait until take off and everything is over with and then grab a pillow lean against the wall of the plane put on some headphones and it's pretty comfortable. All depends on how tired you are though. If you're wide awake it's not going to work out so well, if you're in the mood for a nap, it's the most comfortable way I've found. Between seeing my SO and flying to and from my school and my home I've been on a plane 11-14 times in the past year and half alone.

Also bring some gum to chew on during take off and landing. It'll help with the change in pressure. I'm so used to it now I don't bother, but for your first flight it does hurt a little and the gum helps.

And I forgot to add, if you're unsure of an item, just go to the TSA website, and plug it into the "Can I bring it?" box. (It's about half way down on the right hand side) I use it religiously if I'm unsure of something I've never brought on a plane before. It gives tips on how to pack your carry-ons so you can get through security faster too. Since I've started organizing my bags the way they recommend, I've been in and out of security faster than I have ever been before.
          ". . . We obviously have to come to accept it, but that doesn't stop it from gnawing at us day by day.
          The best we can do is enjoy our time together, anticipate our reunions, and remain passionate and loyal through distance." ~Mike <3

~*~11.21.2010~*~

Comment

I have never been able to sleep on planes, not since I was child. I can only recall a handful of times where I've drifted (was absolutely exhausted) only to fall into a loop of "I'm sorry, but you are at too high of an altitude to have a dream" followed by a loop of elevator music going on in my head; I'd wake up with an exruciating headache and that's pretty much what's prevented me from sleeping on planes for years. D: Funny little story there.

I agree with what most everyone else has said. You can't bring water or liquids through security, but I think it's something I learned through lucybelle, bring an empty bottle through security and then fill that up instead. It will seriously save you like $4+ on water; anything beyond the security checkpoint is ridiculously expensive. >_> This is also why I suggest bringing snacks along with you, and I mean the packaged kind. You're unlikely to get an unwrapped bagel and cream cheese through security, but you'll fly by with a pack of crackers or even something like muffins sitting in your backpack; so long as it's sealed, you're golden. Bring things that are going to keep you occupied. I tend to like to bring things like mind teasers, colouring books, a sketchpad, even schoolwork at times, in addition to books, as sometimes it's nice to have something for your brain to do. I second bringing gum as well, or pretzels, something to chew on to help you when you start the descent.

It will be a worth-it opportunity for sure, I hope you have fun with it!

EDIT: Also, read up on airline policies as far as what's allowed through security and what isn't, and have everything readily accessible for when you approach ticket counters, customs and immigration, etc. Not only is it going to be faster for you, but I've noticed you're better received when you come prepared and ready as opposed to when you're the one digging around in your bag for something you forgot to present (this happened to me in Dublin and they were not happy!).
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

thx everybody! i forgot to mention the small detail that im claustrophobic!!!! >.<

Comment

For long flights I usually bring a pair of slippers, so that I feel more comfortable. Also, I prefer seat in the corridor so I can walk and stretch my legs. Usually in intercontinental flights drinks are free, so drinking is not a problem. As already said, drinking is important to feel better, and my SO also suggested me to stop eating for 12h or so. In this way it is easier for the body to adjust to the different time zone, as your stomac will help your brain to understand when it's eating time, and when it's sleeping time.
                But 8 planes, hey, that's a lot! So each flight might be short (like 3h)...

Comment

If your claustrophobic I would recommend an aisle seat. Most flights you can choose your seat online 24hours ahead or before that pay a bit extra to select your preferred seat. Aisle seats are generally slightly less popular than window seats. That way you can get up and walk around if you start to feel anxious at all without having to climb over people or wake anyone up. Big international planes are MASSIVE so hopefully you won't feel to "closed in".

Its actually a really great idea to walk up and down the aisle so you don't get stiff muscles or anything like that.

Talk to the airline staff on the plane. Tell them its your first time flying and you may feel a bit nervous. They are generally really lovely and will help you out with any questions and general reassurance.

Overall just keep the happy excited thoughts in your head of going to see your SO! That'll help quell any nerves I'm sure!
                  Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

My advice.. I've flown Vancouver - London Gatwick and back and Vancouver - Manchester and back and so I'll try and offer the best advice I can.

I prefer window seats because I like the feeling of being able to lean against the window, I feel like I have more space because aisle seats are between a person and the aisle which is usually pretty narrow and the flight attendants are always walking by.. or people going to the washroom are walking by.. but the window I can lean against the window as much as I can, and also watch the ascent/descent better which can be cool. But you might prefer an aisle if you get claustrophobic and would feel better being able to get up and stretch your legs/go to the bathroom without climbing over people. (It might be bad, but I prefer to spread out a smaller water bottle over the 9 hour flight and use the bathroom as little as possible because even when I was on the aisle seat my first flight, I didn't feel as free to get up and walk around.. but that's just my experience, you're probably different (for one, you have clastrophobia)

Bringing gum or some sort of candy/mints would be a great idea for takeoff or landing. Or if you forget to bring gum or mints, try focussing on swallowing as much as you can, though it can be tricky to make yourself swallow especially if you're thirsty, but try and have some water to help.

Bring lots of things to do.. magazines, puzzle books, headphones (you will probably have to buy/ask for an adapter or you can buy the whole headphones on the plane, depending on the airplane policy), pens/pencils, sketchbook, notebook, reading book, schoolwork, also if you get into crocheting you could bring a small crochet hook and a small ball of yarn and crochet a small project on the plane.. I was a little nervous of doing this last time but I ended up being brave and it was fun, especially since I had bought a small ball of multicoloured yarn especially for the trip It wasn't really much of a project, but it kept me busy a bit.

Ohhh if you have any special diet restrictions make sure you ask when you book the ticket/call up the travel agency or airline depending on whether you have your ticket or not and request it.. different airlines will probably have different policies and since you're on multiple planes, I'm not sure if they are long enough flights that they will have a free meal but you can always ask, that is, if you have specific dietary requirements..

Buy a luggage scale or borrow one from a friend/family member... really good so you don't end up having to pay an extra fee when your baggage is too heavy.. and you can reduce ahead of time..

I think that's about all I can think of for now. I hope you have a safe journey and have fun planning and enjoy your time with your SO!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr&Mrs.A View Post
                      thx everybody! i forgot to mention the small detail that im claustrophobic!!!! >.<
                      Get an aisle seat, so you won't feel like you're trapped between a wall and a person. An aisle seat allows you to stretch out into the aisle when the attendants are not serving anything or get up and walk without disturbing anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiara View Post
                        For long flights I usually bring a pair of slippers, so that I feel more comfortable. Also, I prefer seat in the corridor so I can walk and stretch my legs. Usually in intercontinental flights drinks are free, so drinking is not a problem. As already said, drinking is important to feel better, and my SO also suggested me to stop eating for 12h or so. In this way it is easier for the body to adjust to the different time zone, as your stomac will help your brain to understand when it's eating time, and when it's sleeping time.
                        But 8 planes, hey, that's a lot! So each flight might be short (like 3h)...
                        8 planes will b the whole round trip the longest one is 14hrs. omg since im a total rookie to all this im definitively writing all this, i chose window seats so i can lean and take naps like most of y'all said and also take few pics and be able to see the view better leaving aside my claustrophobia, enjoying as much as i can and get use to it cause by the end of this year if everything goes by good we'll be closing the distance and might be flying more often depending where will my SO's next military station will be at.
                        i've read few articles and info about traveling tips but all of y'all advices are helping me more to the whole experience since you all know better than i do

Comment

Working...
                        X