Better Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Buy?

My boyfriend is coming home for about a week around March 1st, which is about 2 weeks away. He still hasn't booked anything yet and I am starting to get nervous that he won't book. I know money is an issue for him, but he promised me on 5 separate occasions that he will be home then. Today, JetBlue is running a sale where he could book flights for $75, totaling $149 or so with taxes. He could also take the train home, costing him $106 total with taxes. Which would be the better buy, the plane or the train? It takes him 45 minutes to fly home and 8 hours on the train into NYC, and then another hour or two to get home from there, so his total travel time is 10 hours. Which would you do if you were him, book the plane which is about $50 more expensive but he'd get more time here because he'd be traveling less or take the cheaper option? Thanks!

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

I'd go with the flight, but if he's strapped for cash then I'd take the train.

Comment

I'm with snow_girl. I generally choose the cheapest option possible, but given that it's 7-8 hours of additional travel time were he to take the train, and given that it's only $43, I'd likely go with the flight. However, if he's so strapped for money that that $43 would make it or break it, I'd go with the train and deal with the shitty travel time.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
      Met online: February 2009
      Feelings confessed: December 2010
      Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
      Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
      First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
      Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
      Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
      Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

I would usually go for the cheaper option unless like in this case the travel time was substantially longer, though the bigger thing would be how much time I was going to actually be in the location for, if I was there for over 2 weeks 10 hours each way feels less painful then if I was just going for a weekend or a few days. Though if the $43 is going to make or break it I would probably take the train

Comment

I'd still go with the flight even though it's a week long visit. It's a minor price difference for a major time difference.

I also like flying. :P
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
            I'm with snow_girl. I generally choose the cheapest option possible, but given that it's 7-8 hours of additional travel time were he to take the train, and given that it's only $43, I'd likely go with the flight. However, if he's so strapped for money that that $43 would make it or break it, I'd go with the train and deal with the shitty travel time.

agreed! and sometimes 43 dollars can make a huge difference!
            our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

So, we discussed it on Skype together last night. He made a decision to take the train. He's very tight for funds, so the $43 makes a pretty big difference. He gets a 10% discount on tickets, which is nice. He's coming home a day earlier than expected, so in 2 weeks he'll be here! His train should arrive at around 9:45pm that night. He's going to book them either tonight or tomorrow when he speaks to his mother about it. Thanks so much for your input!! =]

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Working...
              X