Bringing seeds into the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing seeds into the US?

Sooo my SO and I were talking last night, and he was saying how frustrated he was when he found out my favourite flowers were bluebells, but they don't have them in the US- they're an English wild flower. I think there are some similar called the California bluebell in the US but they are not the same at all. I had the idea of buying some seeds over here in England, so I could have a planter of them on our balcony every spring, but I can't figure out if they are a prohibited agricultural item or not, because I do intend to grow them... I don't know if I can just bring them and declare them at customs, or if I need an actual permit to bring them in.

Has anyone who has traveled in and out the US taken seeds with them before. I didn't want to risk it this trip when I'm on the K1 visa, I thought I might ask the guys at border control if they knew the regulations, so I knew for next time?

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

I am pretty sure seeds and anything else organic (leaves, roots, sticks) are a huge no no when traveling in to other countries. Main reason, some of those things can carry diseases that the other country doesn't have and can cause trouble. I've watched a ton of border control shows and even people whose shoes have dirt on them make them be disinfected cause of organic material.

Comment

Definitely not okay. You can bring them and claim them and then have them taken away at the border if you'd like Or you could try to sneak them in and risk going to jail. After kudzu came over and started killing whole forests, the US is not too keen on more foreign invasive species.

I'm sure there is some sort of exotic flower vendor you could find and buy these from. In fact, I'm almost sure I've seen them in the US before. Just gotta look

Comment

A friend of mine who had worked in US was checked at the airport because of an apple (just an apple which she did not eat in her flight) in her bag and it was taken away. I am sure seeds must be more risky.

Comment

Any plant material is prohibited, including fresh fruit etc, because of the invasive factor. I have a friend who produces giant pumlkins and crosses seeds from all over the world for monster breeds. The paperwork depending on the country can be ridiulous. I recall him saying that England was pretty easy to sneak seeds past, but the US made him chuck what he had.

I agree that searching for a vendor may be The best way to go. Virginia Bluebells are also much closer to the ones found in the UK.

Comment

My cousin is a florist.. These are Original English Bluebells...this is one of the most reputable dealers in the US with reliable legal quality product.. they will only sell you the product while its in growing/planting season.. and she said they are expensive bulbs to experiment with so research a bit on environment, temperature and soil (so you won't be disappointed) she also said people in virginia have done very well growing these outdoors in certain soils. perennially. https://brecks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_67306

Everything I know, and anywhere I go, It gets hard but it won't take away my love,
            And when the last one falls, when it's all said and done, It gets hard but it won't take away my love

sigpic

Me without Him is like Son of Beast without the loop.

Comment

Thanks guys, now I know! I thought this was the case but it would have been a lot cheaper to just buy them over here and take them with me. damn those killer bluebells! and thanks for the link dauntedpoet! I'll bookmark it and buy some bulbs in the fall! Will definitely do my research on soils etc. I just wanted a little bit of home- you know it's spring when the snow drops are out and the bluebells carpet the woods

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
              <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
              The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
              <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
              <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
              Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
              Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X