LDR's and the TSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDR's and the TSA

I'm going to meet up with my SO for the first time in August and this will also be the first time I've flown since the TSA has been implemented into our airports. I'll be honest, I'm really nervous and scared from all the things I've been hearing. From the invasive body scanners and how harmful they are, to the borderline groping pat downs. I'd really like to know your guys take on all this, past experiences, suggestions .. n what not.

To me, it's just not that big of a deal. You gotta do what you gotta do. Is it fun to take off your shoes and get patted down? Not really, but whatever. I want to get on the plane. Someone of the same sex always pats you down if need be. The full body scanner is only at certain airports. Most places I've been still just use metal detectors and "random" searches.

Comment

They have the body scanners at San Francisco. I was able to see the scan once I was out. I actually found it neat and it hardly gave any detail. I took off my shoes, went through the body scanner, they pulled me aside to randomly swipe test my hands (literally they swiped them with a cloth-type thing and inserted the cloth into a machine), and let me go get my things. There's a lot of hype about them, but really, when you look at what they actually are, or what security actually is... It's not that hard to go through hassle free. Sometimes I wonder if the people who stir up a right fuss are the people who didn't listen to the rules in the first place. Yes, they're overbearing, but you do what you have to do to get on the plane.

As far as groping/being patted down, you can opt for that over the body scanners (my SO did) and really, someone of the same sex lightly pats you down. If you're a woman, they basically run their hands alongside your sides, legs, back, stomach, under your breasts and slightly on top of them... You never really get felt on your butt, genitals, or have your actual breasts groped. I would rather go through the body scanners simply because it feels less invasive to me (an extremely vague picture of my body is better than being patted) but neither one are as invasive as people beef them up to be.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
      Met online: February 2009
      Feelings confessed: December 2010
      Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
      Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
      First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
      Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
      Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
      Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

I don't think you have to worry so much flying within the USA. I think it is more hassle flying into the country. I try to avoid the states when I fly for that reason. But what Eclaire said pretty much sums it up.

Comment

Ditto to what Eclaire said. As long as you're efficient and polite and not trying to bring anything prohibited, you shouldn't have any problem. The last trip I took, earlier this month, was the first time I've ever encountered the full-body scanners, and it was no more of a nuisance than the normal metal detectors. When a stick of chapstick in my pocket came up as an abnormal shape on my scan, I got a quick pat-down over my jeans pocket, and that was it. I was also able to see the scan picture (dunno if that's true at every airport?), and it's really not that detailed at all; just a generic body shape (with a highlighted box over my left hip where the chapstick in my pocket was detected). The officers were no less respectful than ever, and it was no scarier than any other time I've gone through airport security in the past.

While the cost-effectiveness and usefulness of body scanners may be questionable, there's nothing inherently dangerous about them. Just travel smart like you normally would and there's nothing to be worried about.

Comment

i barely had my first experience in airports, airplanes and all that back in march when i went to visit my SO to Japan.
            it was fun i actually enjoyed the whole process of traveling this way to the other side of the world for the first time in my life. just imagine i went trough 2 huge, immense international airports in 2 different countries, i love it and i would go trough all that again as many times needed to c my SO .
            So dont worry, relax be alert and enjoy it , good luck

Comment

Originally posted by kirbycat View Post
              I was also able to see the scan picture (dunno if that's true at every airport?), and it's really not that detailed at all; just a generic body shape (with a highlighted box over my left hip where the chapstick in my pocket was detected).
              Yes, basically. When the fuss first came out about people flipping out about how it violates you as an individual, someone having a nude picture of you, and who knows what they do with them... I was honestly surprised. It looked like an x-ray without the details. It was literally the outline of my body filled in with white. I don't really see how that's the decision of a pervert, but whatever, to each their own. I had to disagree with my SO when he considered them a violation. It makes me wonder if he's ever actually seen the scans, or if any of them have, frankly. They really are not that bad at all.
              { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
              Met online: February 2009
              Feelings confessed: December 2010
              Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
              Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
              First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
              Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
              Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
              Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
              to be continued...

Comment

I always have frustrating experiences with the TSA when I fly - and I only fly here within the US. My son was randomly searched one time - my then 7 year old, who was terrified because he thought that he had done something wrong. We follow all the rules, I never bring anything I'm not supposed to, I always have our shoes off in advance, and I do everything they tell me, yet somehow I always seem to get "lucky" with an extra search through my purse, or the hand wipes, or something. I think there has to be a better way. It seems like most people haven't had bad experiences but since I have, I am not a fan.

Comment

I was very worried about all of this before my visit, but I went through 3 international airports without incident. All they did was scan me, and once they put my laptop through the scan machine twice. So, I have heard horror stories, but *relief* I have none of my own to tell. Basically just make sure you are professional, and if you have any questions/need clarification, ask. I hadn't flown in years so I wasn't sure quite what to do, but I asked them and they kindly helped me through the process. GREAT experience!

Comment

I fly about 14 times a year now to and from school. The TSA in the airport by school refers to me as "her" or "she's here all the time." (I overheard somebody getting trained while I waited for a ride for about 4 hours.)

The tips they give on the TSA website are pretty helpful. I use them and I get through a lot faster than I used to. It's not as bad as everyone says it is. I've opted out of the body scan twice because I felt pressed for time, but it was not a big concern for them. I've had one guy actually thank me because I'm apparently "very good at this and made his day easy."

The people they have are very professional and they take your privacy and preferences into account and will help you if you're not a pain about it. To ease your mind you might want to check out the website and read the FAQs and tips.
                    ". . . We obviously have to come to accept it, but that doesn't stop it from gnawing at us day by day.
                    The best we can do is enjoy our time together, anticipate our reunions, and remain passionate and loyal through distance." ~Mike <3

~*~11.21.2010~*~

Comment

In all my travel in the past three years, I've only been patted down once because I forgot to take my keys out of my pocket. I was in Germany and the lady just took me into a little cubicle and told me to stand certain ways as she patted me down. I know that's not TSA, but it's the same kind of thing. On my way back from Greece last year, the TSA searched my suitcase and left one of those little "The TSA searched your bag" notes. I thought it was kind of cute. They didn't take anything and they didn't totally mess up my packing scheme.

While airport security might be a pain in the ass, it's nothing to be afraid of unless you have something to hide. If I'm not tight on space in my suitcase, I'll wear flats so that I can take them off and put them back on in an instant. Always remember to take your laptop out of your bag before you run it through the scanner. Try not to put things in pockets that you'll forget about (like I did with my keys). If you can, leave as much as you can in your bag or carry on so that you have less to move when you go through security. I think last time I traveled I only kept my passport, tickets, and credit card (just in case & to check a bag) on hand, and the rest of the stuff I wanted to keep near me I put in my personal item, which was a small bag.
                      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

They have the same scanners in Thailand. Because of them, I almost missed my connecting flight .

They aren't that bad though. You just take your shoes off and stand inside the scanner. Walk through and you are on your way again.

Comment

While certainly a minor nuisance, especially if you're pressed for time. They're really nothing to worry about. I try to organise as much as my stuff as possible while still in line so that when I get to the scanners, I'm all ready to go. It's really just become a process for me now, I don't worry about it, I don't think about it, it just happens.
                          Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
                          First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

Thanks for all your responses, I feel like some of my worries have been alleviated and simply because the whole "screw it" attitude came in because it really is worth it for my SO. You guys are right .. do what we gotta do. I appreciate all the input though, I was mainly worried because I'm in Atlanta and I have heard a lot of horror stories about the TSA at this particular airport. I'll just take you guys advice and be as prepared as I can be to make the process smoother.

Comment

Working...
                            X