Tips for Improving Your Next Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for Improving Your Next Flight

I stumbled across this article thats somewhat funny and somewhat helpful for making your next flight a better one, although some of the tips won't help unless everyone on the plane follows them.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/graha...ncid=webmail23

Notes:
    Met: 8.17.09
    Started Dating: 8.20.09
    First Met: 10.2.10
    Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

That article actually annoyed me... almost to the degree of angering me... instead of amusing me... I never before considered myself such an obnoxious person for reclining my seat... and I seriously never thought anything about which people were pre-boarding... To be honest, it sounds like he needs to relax and maybe he would enjoy his flight better...
    First met online: June, 2010
    First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
    Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Third visit together: August, 2012
    Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
    Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
    Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

I didn't necessarily agree with everything he said, except the reclining your seat thing. I'm 6'1 and barely have leg room as it is. With that being said, I've never had anyone be purposely rude and recline back on me. Normally, they notice pretty quickly and fix the issue.

Comment

Well I don't know if it's the planes I have been on or what, but I have never been on a plane whose seat reclined more than a couple inches at most... I'm not tall, but I'm not short (5'7) and I have to admit that I have never even noticed when someone reclines ahead of me... until the bring they seat upright for a landing... I think if you are tall and it is a problem for you, then the polite thing is to inform the person in front of you ahead of time. Most people wouldn't have a problem with seats that recline... Seats that are made to recline! I'm a very polite person and am often worried about breaching etiquette, but having to worry about reclining my seat on the off chance that it is actually a problem for the person behind me is a bit much. My emotion and tensions are always running high while I'm flying, so I could see a confrontation about this degrading into something petty (and anger and tears on my end) very quickly!! That being said, I don't normally recline, however on more than one occasion, the schedules of my flights, etc mean I go more than 24 hours with little to no sleep, and sometimes I will do whatever I can to try to get some sleep. That can include reclining my seat... If someone explained to me ahead of time why I can not recline my seat, or even if someone got my attention and very politely brought to my attention the problem it caused, I would obviously move my seat back upright and try to find another way to sleep.... There is no reason to be rude.
        First met online: June, 2010
        First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
        Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
        Third visit together: August, 2012
        Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
        Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
        Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
        Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

I thought he was rude about it too which is why I found it so funny, although people reclining their seat really annoys me and I'm too much of an introvert to ask them to keep it up and most planes I've been on when the person reclines their seat I can barely get my tray down to eat or just it to prop up my book and it feels like it's all up in my face.

The pre boarding thing bothers me too, I mean why the rush to get on the plane, that time is set specifically for people with needs not ansty people who just want to be crammed in the plane longer. The plane isn't going to leave any sooner because everyone is on the plane faster. And the sudden need to stand up and crowd the aisles as soon as the plane lands, I feel like the people who have immediate connecting flights should be allowed off first or those who don't have to wait for baggage at the baggage claim, the ones who wait for luggage don't get to their destination any faster because they got off the plane first. But maybe I'm just biased because I always end up with 20 minutes connecting time and I carry everything on so I hate being jammed in a plane waiting when I could be in my SO's arms that much faster

Notes:
          Met: 8.17.09
          Started Dating: 8.20.09
          First Met: 10.2.10
          Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I thought he was rude about it too which is why I found it so funny, although people reclining their seat really annoys me and I'm too much of an introvert to ask them to keep it up and most planes I've been on when the person reclines their seat I can barely get my tray down to eat or just it to prop up my book and it feels like it's all up in my face.
            Same. It's why I don't recline either.

I'll read the article when I have the time!
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

I always put my seat back! I used to never do it because I didn't want to bother the people behind me. But when I'm the only one on the plane with a straight back I figure I deserve to be a little more comfortable as well!

Comment

Yup same here. I've also had kids kicking the back of my seat the entire plane ride. Of course the parents don't care, and I am too introverted to say something to them...

Comment

The only issue that I have with reclining seats is when the person in front of me decides to muck around with it while I'm eating. It just shakes the tray and spills stuff everywhere.

And with pre-boarding, I don't get how people can be so stupid and line up when the flight attendants say otherwise. For example, it annoys me when they say "Can all people in seats x to y please line up", people who aren't in the seats line up, and they act completely innocent when the attendant says that they can't board yet.

IS IT THAT HARD TO READ? Seriously, the average person is an idiot

/rant

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                    I always put my seat back! I used to never do it because I didn't want to bother the people behind me. But when I'm the only one on the plane with a straight back I figure I deserve to be a little more comfortable as well!
                    Yup, me too! If most people put the seat back, then I will too. But not during meal times, that's just rude.

As for everybody trying to rush on the plane, I don't think it used to be like this. Now it's the case because airlines are charging to check even 1 bag so people are rushing to get their giant carry-on into the overhead bin space.

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
                      Yup, me too! If most people put the seat back, then I will too. But not during meal times, that's just rude.

As for everybody trying to rush on the plane, I don't think it used to be like this. Now it's the case because airlines are charging to check even 1 bag so people are rushing to get their giant carry-on into the overhead bin space.
                      Some of the people are rorting it badly. I remember on one flight, I had to put my luggage half way down the aisle because people were there loaded up the overhead hangers with (clearly oversized) luggage. My bag was small amongst them, and it's dead bang on the allowed size.

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
                        Every flight I've had in China has been like this. We actually do rush onto the plane just to make sure our luggage is in an overhead bin near us. I've had my small carryon only fit in the very last compartment in the very back of the plane before. NO FUN when you are trying to get off the plane to catch another flight...

Comment

Originally posted by dglynn77 View Post
                          Every flight I've had in China has been like this. We actually do rush onto the plane just to make sure our luggage is in an overhead bin near us. I've had my small carryon only fit in the very last compartment in the very back of the plane before. NO FUN when you are trying to get off the plane to catch another flight...
                          Chinese people fascinate me in that regard. I've noticed the same thing amongst the international students at my uni. They are always in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                            The only issue that I have with reclining seats is when the person in front of me decides to muck around with it while I'm eating. It just shakes the tray and spills stuff everywhere.
                            I fly A LOT! And usually, I book my seat in the first row just to avoid that back seat straight up problem. But when they are already booked out and have to sit in another row, I usually don't care about people reclining their seats. Tookie is right though. Have the decency to put your seat straight up when you get your food. And keep it that way!

But it is always amusing when people start to clap when the plane lands. Is that really necessary? It's the pilots job to fly that bird! Nobody ever claps when a bus driver approaches the final stop on his route either... Would be funny as hell though

Comment

I remember a year or so back I was flying to Chicago and I got sat next to this very polite foreign chap. We chatted for a few hours & everything seemed fine until it was time for our meal & then he proceeded to spit his food out....I was so desperate to get out of my seat & because of this I banged my thigh so hard on the arm rest I bruised it. It nearly covered the length of my thigh... Sometimes I wish I could afford to fly business or first class. Then again I notice when leaving the plane how messy they can be......so I don't know where's best to be seated on a plane.....

Started Writing - February 2010
                              First Visit - September 2010
                              Second Visit - June 2011
                              Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
                              Our Wedding Day - April 2012
                              Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
                              NOA1 - July 2012
                              NOA2 - December 2012
                              Fourth Visit - December 2012
                              Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

Working...