What NOT to bring on an airplane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What NOT to bring on an airplane?

Stephen will be flying down June 1st to see me for the first time!! Although he's never flown before, so he's a little nervous. I've never flown either so I'm not much help. What sort of things should he leave at home? And what should he take ?

Your best resource will be the airline website or directly from the TSA: https://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information
    First met online: June, 2010
    First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
    Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Third visit together: August, 2012
    Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
    Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
    Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by Verojoon View Post
      Your best resource will be the airline website or directly from the TSA: https://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information
      Thats what I was going to say. Airline websites are the best place to look.

Comment

I tried that on my phone and my computer and it shows up totally blank. I can't see anything. Could someone copy and paste it for me?

Comment

Just google, things you can't bring on a plane. There will be stuff about it everywhere.

Comment

Okay off the top of my head, things that are not okay:

ninja throwing stars
            flame throwers
            ice picks
            giant vats of acid
            biological weapons
            a screaming child

My general advice for packing is pack ONLY what you ABSOLUTELY need. Then go through and take half of it out. And even that will be more than you need.

Comment

Lighters, if he is a smoker. I always forget and end up getting all of mine confiscated. They also have limits on liquids - shampoo, mouth wash, etc. You can buy airplane travel kits with bottles the proper size for carry-on. If he's checking a bag, I suggest he put all of his toilteries into the checked bag. No prescription medications unless they are his, obviously.

Comment

yep..what they all said..lol..i packed very light when i just went to go see her...so that i didn't have to pay for a suitcase..i knew she had toothpaste..and body wash..even though she said i would have to smell all girly...but i am good with that...i don't mind smelling pretty...you get a carry on and one personal item..so i got all my clothes in my duffelbag..and a few other items..and in my laptop case..i had my book..cordless electric razor..small deoderant..mp3 player..all that...i am an awesome packer...lol

Comment

No electric razors if I recall correctly. No liquids in a carry on unless they're the travel sized 3 oz bottles. Remind him not to wear tons of metal because it's a hassle taking it all off and putting in back on.

Copied this from the TSA website

First row is carry on second is checked bag.
                  Spoiler:
                  Box Cutters X OK
                  Ice Axes/Ice Picks X OK
                  Knives - except for plastic or round bladed butter knives X OK
                  Meat Cleavers X OK
                  Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, and safety razor blades (disposable razors and their cartridges are permitted) X OK
                  Sabers X OK
                  Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than 4 inches are allowed, but blades longer than 4 inches are prohibited X OK
                  Swords - cutting or thrusting weapons, including fencing foils X OK
                  NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

Sporting Goods

Item Carry-on? Checked?
                  Baseball Bats X OK
                  Bows and Arrows X OK
                  Cricket Bats X OK
                  Golf Clubs X OK
                  Hockey Sticks X OK
                  Lacrosse Sticks X OK
                  Pool Cues X OK
                  Ski Poles X OK
                  Spear Guns X OK
                  For more information, please read our Traveling with Special Items section.

Guns & Firearms
                  Item Carry-on? Checked?
                  Ammunition - Check with your airline or travel agent to see if ammunition is permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. Small arms ammunitions for personal use must be securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply. Read our Firearms & Ammunition section. X OK
                  BB guns X OK
                  Compressed Air Guns (to include paintball markers) - Carried in checked luggage without compressed air cylinder attached.

X OK
                  Firearms - firearms carried as checked baggage MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in. Read our Firearms & Ammunition section. X OK
                  Flare Guns - May be carried as checked baggage MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in. Read our section on Camping and Firearms & Ammunition section. X OK
                  Flares X X
                  Gun Lighters* X OK
                  Gun Powder including black powder and percussion caps* X X
                  Parts of Guns and Firearms
                  Read our Firearms & Ammunition section. X OK
                  Pellet Guns X OK
                  Realistic Replicas of Firearms X OK
                  Starter Pistols - can only be carried as checked baggage and MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in. Read our Firearms & Ammunition section. X OK
                  NOTE: Check with your airline or travel agent to see if firearms are permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply.
                  *Permitted in checked baggage only if it does not contain lighter fluid.

Tools
                  Item Carry-on? Checked?
                  Axes and Hatchets X OK
                  Cattle Prods X OK
                  Crowbars X OK
                  Hammers X OK
                  Drills and drill bits (including cordless portable power drills) X OK
                  Saws (including cordless portable power saws) X OK
                  Tools (greater than seven inches in length) X OK
                  Tools (seven inches or less in length) unless otherwise prohibited OK OK
                  Screwdrivers (seven inches or less in length) OK OK
                  Wrenches and Pliers (seven inches or less in length) OK OK
                  NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and Security Officers.

Martial Arts & Self Defense Items
                  Item Carry-on? Checked?
                  Billy Clubs X OK
                  Black Jacks X OK
                  Brass Knuckles X OK
                  Kubatons X OK
                  Self Defense Sprays - One 4 ounce (118ml) container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. Self Defense Sprays containing more than 2% by mass of Tear Gas (CS or CN) are prohibited in Checked Baggage. For more information visit www.faa.gov., click on Passengers, then Preparing to Fly. X OK
                  Martial Arts Weapons X OK
                  Night Sticks X OK
                  Nunchucks X OK
                  Stun Guns/Shocking Devices X OK
                  Throwing Stars X OK
                  NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and Security Officers.

Explosive & Flammable Materials, Disabling Chemicals & Other Dangerous Items
                  Explosive Materials Carry-on? Checked?
                  Blasting Caps X X
                  Dynamite X X
                  Fireworks X X
                  Flares (in any form) X X
                  Hand Grenades X X
                  Plastic Explosives X X
                  Realistic Replicas of Explosives X X
                  Flammable Items Carry-on? Checked?
                  Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities) X X
                  Fuels (including cooking fuels and any flammable liquid fuel) X X
                  Gasoline X X
                  Gas Torches X X
                  Lighter Fluid X X
                  Common Lighters - Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home. OK X
                  Torch Lighters - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned. X X
                  Strike-anywhere Matches - One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage. X X
                  Flammable Paints (See Other Items below for non-flammable paints) X X
                  Turpentine and Paint Thinner X X
                  Realistic Replicas of Incendiaries X X
                  NOTE: There are other hazardous materials that are regulated by the FAA. This information is summarized at www.faa.gov, click on Passengers, then Preparing to Fly.
                  Disabling Chemicals & Other Dangerous Items Carry-on? Checked?
                  Chlorine for Pools and Spas X X
                  Small compressed gas cartridges
                  (Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit) OK OK
                  Fire extinguishers and other compressed gas cylinders X X
                  Liquid Bleach X X
                  Spillable Batteries - except those in wheelchairs X X
                  Spray Paint X X
                  Tear Gas - Self Defense Sprays containing more than 2% by mass of Tear Gas (CS or CN). X X
                  Vehicle Airbags X X
                  NOTE: There are other hazardous materials that are regulated by the FAA. This information is summarized at www.faa.gov.

Other Items

Item Carry-on? Checked?
                  Gel-type candles X OK
                  Non-flammable liquid, gel, or aerosol paint Yes - 3.4 ounces (100ml) or smaller container OK
                  Flammable liquid, gel, or aerosol paint X X
                  Snow globes (unless otherwise prohibited)** OK OK
                  **Snow globes that appear to contain less than 3.4 ounces (approximately tennis ball size) will be permitted if the entire snow globe, including the base, is able to fit in the same one clear, plastic, quart-sized, re-sealable bag, as the passenger’s other liquids, such as shampoo, toothpaste and cosmetics.

Notes:
                  Met: 8.17.09
                  Started Dating: 8.20.09
                  First Met: 10.2.10
                  Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Originally posted by stephanieaz View Post
                    Lighters, if he is a smoker. I always forget and end up getting all of mine confiscated.
                    Huh? The TSA site says you can have Bic type lighters in your carry on luggage. I hope that's true as I'm a smoker and will need a smoke during layovers.
                    February 2012 -- met online
                    August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
                    April 2013 -- met in person
                    June 2013 -- broke up
                    July 2013 -- back together
                    August 2013 -- 2nd visit
                    October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
                    April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

Originally posted by Benni View Post
                      Huh? The TSA site says you can have Bic type lighters in your carry on luggage. I hope that's true as I'm a smoker and will need a smoke during layovers.
                      They say that, but they still take them away, last time I flew i had my lighter on me and they took it, even though i told them the TSA site says it's okay they said it was wrong and took it lol not that it really mattered as i got a thing of 4 for like 50 cents lol.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
                        They say that, but they still take them away, last time I flew i had my lighter on me and they took it, even though i told them the TSA site says it's okay they said it was wrong and took it lol not that it really mattered as i got a thing of 4 for like 50 cents lol.
                        I've never had either my matches or my lighter taken away, either on a domestic or international flight, although I rarely need to fly domestically these days
                        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Well crap!! Maybe I should take lighter and matches both and see what happens! Hell, I don't even know if you can smoke anywhere in the airport during layovers!
                          February 2012 -- met online
                          August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
                          April 2013 -- met in person
                          June 2013 -- broke up
                          July 2013 -- back together
                          August 2013 -- 2nd visit
                          October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
                          April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

Well crap!! Maybe I should take lighter and matches both and see what happens! Hell, I don't even know if you can smoke anywhere in the airport during layovers!
                            Depends where your layovers are you'll probably have to look it up. I know a lot of places are making it illegal to smoke inside any kind of building.

Notes:
                            Met: 8.17.09
                            Started Dating: 8.20.09
                            First Met: 10.2.10
                            Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Not very many US airports have smoking rooms anymore. You'll have to exit the airport, then go through security to get back in, so only attempt it if you have a lot of time between flights. Personally, I use the patch when I fly, it works really well and I haven't killed anyone yet.
                              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X