Dealing with other cultures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with other cultures

This has been a huge part of my life. From the ages of 3 to 14 I lived in Saudi Arabia and my wife is from Ecuador, where I spent a further 2 years living (plus working numerous summer holidays out there). As I'm 31, that's not far of half my life spent outside of the UK. So as a newbie who is always willing to help, I thought I'd offer a few tips on adapting to other cultures.

1) Don't go out there blind, research first. Visiting is better. Just asking your SO questions is risking giving you a slightly sanitised view of where you're moving. Doing proper research and visiting will give you a true insight in to the pros and cons of where you'll be living. A further advantage is that if you're moving to a country where your mother tongue isn't spoken, visiting gives you the chance to practice. Ecuador is a Spanish speaking country, and I discovered that there's a number of differences from speaking in Spain to Ecuador. A lot of it is simply local dialect, but in parts of South America, some of the indigenous people are in the habit of dropping Quechuan* words and phrases in to Spanish sentences. I found that especially confusing at first but my wife speaks Quechua, she was able to help me. An example of how Spanish can differ in Spanish speaking countries are the words "�a�o" and "�a�a" in Ecuador. These words don't exist at all in Spain but they mean bother and sister in Ecuador.

2) Try the food, but be careful. And being careful is especially important. When I lived in Saudi Arabia, my parents always carried imodium, wet wipes and hand sanitiser. These are all things that I make a point of when I'm in South America. The reality of living in South America is that if you're a germophobe, you're going to struggle. It's simply a case of getting over it and cracking on. I make a point of only eating chicken cooked by my wife or mother-in-law, whilst when I'm out I'll stick to red meats, small portions and always being cautious. On a personal note, I have to take extra care because I've had a kidney transplant, so I'm immuno-suppressed. An example eating traditional foods in Ecuador - and other parts of South America - is that guinea pig is often eaten on special occasions. I found it difficult at first but now I quite enjoy it.

3) Embrace the differences, they're what make it special. Getting out of your comfort zone is a very good way to learn more about yourself, and you might just discover something (or someone) you love. This can be anything from eating different foods or languages, living without electricity, every Sunday being a day for family or the weekend being Thursday and Friday (the Middle East). Relax, go along with it and most importantly, stay with your SO. My wife has been very supportive whenever we've been in Ecuador and I've struggled with something. The first time I had guinea pig out there, I went with my wife and mother in law to collect the guinea pigs from the market. What I wasn't expecting was my mother-in-law to select the guinea pigs from a large cage and the stall owner to kill & skin them in front of us. That was a bit too much for me and as hard as I tried, I couldn't eat the guinea pigs that day. My wife had to make me a sandwich, but next time I made myself go through the whole thing again, and found myself enjoying the food next time around.

4) Don't be afraid to make mistakes, learn from them. This applies especially to learning another language. Once I was asking for penne pasta in a supermarket, mispronounced the question and asked "�Donde es la pasta del pene?" which translates as "Where is the penis pasta?" I was incredibly embarrassed...until the shop assistant giggled, asked if I was British or American and showed me where the penne pasta was. Just shows you that people do understand, they're willing to help and you can learn from anywhere. My wife couldn't stop laughing when I told her, and it has since become an in joke between us.

5) Don't be afraid to tell your SO if you're struggling. This has particular resonance with me. I'm British, I live in Somerset with my parents and I'd been in relationships with other women before I met my wife. I wasn't a virgin when we met and I'd had girlfriends stay over. Once I had recovered from my transplant - not long after I turned 18 - I was able to go out as a normal 18 year old. I didn't have a curfew, I funded my own cricket and hockey seasons, got my own car and first full time job. The crucial difference here is the curfew. In my wife's family, she had a curfew until we got married. If she went out for an evening, she was expected home by midnight. Her then boyfriend was expected to drop her home safe before midnight and then go home. My wife was a virgin when we met and for a number of reasons, it took us 4 years to sleep together. When I lived in Ecuador, all of these rules made me feel stuck, trapped and suffocated. In the end, it took such a strain on me I had to talk to my wife, her brother and sister and explain that I was really struggling. They understood and over time, were able to help me adapt. It also helped that they spoke to their parents, who relaxed a couple of the rules for me. I know that this tip goes against some of the other advice I've given, but having done my best to adapt, by learning the language, helping with housework, getting a job, studying the culture and history of Ecuador, becoming more independent, they relented a little and helped prevent me from going insane.

I think I've covered everything, but by all means ask if you have a question

Thank you for posting this! Culture shock is real, and it is always a good idea to do your research before immersing yourself in a new culture to avoid offending anyone or embarrassing yourself. When I was 14, I went to the Philippines with my mom and sister to meet my family for the first time ever and stayed for 3 weeks. It was like being in a different world. I remember being shocked seeing raw meat in the market outside in the hot weather and flies all over it. My family teased me a bit for that, since this was their normal. Obviously, they had very good immune systems because I got sick 3 times while I was there haha. There also were no beds, just mats to sleep on the floor with (my mom ended up buying a bed for the three of us to share and my aunt got to keep it when we left, haha). Also, just the way you interact with elders is so different too, including the terms you need to use when speaking to them; it would be too easy to offend someone if you didn’t know that beforehand.
    Read my LDR story!
    Facebook
    Instagram

Comment

Hi Michelle,

The post was never a problem, and I apologise for being so slow in getting back to you. I've had a busy few days starting a new job and organising a holiday to Orlando & Miami with my wife. I know what you mean about seeing raw meat hanging in the market. I saw that a lot in Saudi Arabia and it was quite surprising seeing it in Ecuador for the first time. But I soon got over it. It sounds like speaking to older people in the Philippines is similar to South America; you have to show a lot of respect in how you speak, standing up at the table for them and things like that. It's quite a shock coming from the UK

Comment

I can relate to them all, even though my boyfriend and I come from similar cultures (USA, Australia). Despite that, they’re very different.
        What I learned from my relationship, even if you and your S/O speak the same language, you may truly not.
        I always ask my boyfriend what this (slang) word means to see if it translates correctly over there.
        We already ran into the ROOT problem (In America, rooting means you’re cheering for someone/something, while in Australia, rooting means having sex with someone).

Comment

My lady and I are really from different cultures, as she is Asian and I am from Europe. I love it. We have talked a lot about it early in our relationship and she told me a couple of times weather I am sure I'm not Asian, hehe. I thought that was a nice compliment. We fit well and most of the time we understand each other very well. I'm sure that when we meet, I'll see some things that make my eyebrows rise, but still, I think I can handle it. Should be nice experiencing that all.
          Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Hey Uschi

I can relate to your issues with Australian slang. Being British and a huge fan of cricket & field hockey (ask your boyfriend to tell you about those sports), I've encountered the Aussies a lot. And yes I too had that issue with the word "root" to don't worry.
            I'll tell you another one that came up between the Aussies and the UK. During a cricket match, Aussie legend Shane Warne was commenting and when one of the batsmen hit the ball, Warne's comment was "he's absolutely twatted that". The entire commentary box went silent with shock before Warnie clarified "What? It just means he's hit it really hard". Of course here in the UK, the word twat is an insult So I do feel your pain there.

Comment

Originally posted by MattieC86 View Post
              Hey Uschi

I can relate to your issues with Australian slang. Being British and a huge fan of cricket & field hockey (ask your boyfriend to tell you about those sports), I've encountered the Aussies a lot. And yes I too had that issue with the word "root" to don't worry.
              I'll tell you another one that came up between the Aussies and the UK. During a cricket match, Aussie legend Shane Warne was commenting and when one of the batsmen hit the ball, Warne's comment was "he's absolutely twatted that". The entire commentary box went silent with shock before Warnie clarified "What? It just means he's hit it really hard". Of course here in the UK, the word twat is an insult So I do feel your pain there.
              Yeah, I get that fully.
              My boyfriend was really surprised about how the C word is..... not welcomed that much over here.
              But then again, he was really surprised to find out that some families (like mine growing up) find "shut up" to be very rude.

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1973 View Post
                My lady and I are really from different cultures, as she is Asian and I am from Europe. I love it. We have talked a lot about it early in our relationship and she told me a couple of times weather I am sure I'm not Asian, hehe. I thought that was a nice compliment. We fit well and most of the time we understand each other very well. I'm sure that when we meet, I'll see some things that make my eyebrows rise, but still, I think I can handle it. Should be nice experiencing that all.
                Hi Erwin,

Trust me something will happen that'll surprise you. The best advice I can give is to just roll with it and ask questions about it. It could be something you see in a market or a religious thing. If something makes you feel really uncomfortable, just explain to your SO. As you said you're a good fit, so I'm sure she'll understand.

Have you booked or planned anything yet? When you do, get some research done. Google is your friend but you could also try your local library. If you'll be on a plane for a while, buy a book about her country so that you have something to read on the plane. And just to impress her family, try and learn the lingo That's a mistake I made.

Comment

Originally posted by Uschi View Post
                  Yeah, I get that fully.
                  My boyfriend was really surprised about how the C word is..... not welcomed that much over here.
                  But then again, he was really surprised to find out that some families (like mine growing up) find "shut up" to be very rude.
                  The Aussies are famously brutal I'll admit. But it's different strokes for different folks. One thing I can say with all the Aussies I've met, they have a reputation for racism but the ones I've met are absolutely fine. Every country has it's bad apples so if you do meet one, just leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by MattieC86 View Post
                    The Aussies are famously brutal I'll admit. But it's different strokes for different folks. One thing I can say with all the Aussies I've met, they have a reputation for racism but the ones I've met are absolutely fine. Every country has it's bad apples so if you do meet one, just leave it.
                    Yeah, totally. My boyfriend isn't that nice sometimes, but personally, I'm sensitive.
                    That's something to be aware of, but it's kind of like saying all Americans live off McDonalds - there may be some truth to it here nad there, but definitely shouldn't judge everyone by where they're from ahaha

Comment

Is it brutal, or is it just a different way of expressing, of honesty? What is normal here in Holland, can be a huge offencive in Japan... Just a diffente culture. But to mark it brutal... no, I wouldn't do that...
                      Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1973 View Post
                        Is it brutal, or is it just a different way of expressing, of honesty? What is normal here in Holland, can be a huge offencive in Japan... Just a diffente culture. But to mark it brutal... no, I wouldn't do that...
                        I'm not sure if you're referring to the talk about Aussies.
                        I personally don't believe that it's 'brutal', but it is very different than Americans.
                        Americans, in my opinion, aren't polite/well mannered, but they try not to offend (generally).
                        Australians are more straight to the point, at least, in my limited experience with them.
                        It can also be a personality/childhood thing as well.

Comment

yess! Culture shock is real! Im learning to be patient and communicate when I am exposed to things that seem different to me. He is very understanding and makes me feel comfortable asking questions about his culture.
                          I am American, but my family is from Guyana, South America. He was Born in Africa but raised in Spain so we both are mixed cultures. He thinks it is funny that most Guyanese food is partially Indian food and I think its crazy that he eats dinner at 9pm. He likes when we match our outfits but I think its wierd. (I do it anyway , ha). Culturally, its not polite to deny food when visiting a friends/family house, but I didnt know this until we went to their friends house and was offered food, but I denied. He accepted and shared with me, then later told me that it isnt that polite to deny and at least say that you will have very little. I think the culture differences are interesting, and im happy we are the patient type of ppl to experience it together.
                          Last edited by Wambby; March 19, 2018, 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

A mix of stereotypical introvert guy with Karelian socialness is very confusing at times.

Like he can handle social situations way better than me and likes company of people. Whereas I don't feel comfortable unless I'm surrounded with the amount of people at most where I can feel their presence. At the same time he's still introverted in a Finnish sense.

I can't explain this but. There are many people who go "I'm an introvert I'd be happy in a Nordic counrty" but it's not like that at all. Because an introvert in a different culture is introverted about different things essentially. The same goes with privacy, I hate talking loudly in public. I don't like physical closeness with strangers but I can tolerate some of it easily. Whereas he hates lack of physical space way more and he says that talking loud when out is more of a normal occurance.

Cultural shock is real, by the way. But it's a fun journey to explore together!

Comment

Although both of us are European, so the cultural shock is not so big. I've lived as a child in Mexico, and I've travelled and worked abroad extensively so I've seen some cultural divides... ours are minute compared to that... but still.

The funny thing is figuring out where those differences come from, ... some are cultural bound, others are just prejudices... I've bought my SO a funny very political incorrect book called "the atlas of prejudices". It's a fun conversation starter in any case.

https://atlasofprejudice.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X