Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Students - how to you finance your trips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because I go to school 8 hours away I fly back home for breaks. My grandmother pays for those flights and the miles rack up. I'm planning and hoping on using some of the miles to visit my SO during my spring break.

I'm also looking into megabus. The trip prices are pretty cheap.
    ". . . We obviously have to come to accept it, but that doesn't stop it from gnawing at us day by day.
    The best we can do is enjoy our time together, anticipate our reunions, and remain passionate and loyal through distance." ~Mike <3

~*~11.21.2010~*~

Comment

My boyfriend and I usually split the airfare.

Comment

my parents help me a lot! Also my bf helps me. I actually cannot work (my visa doesn't let me) unless is inside the university, which I already applyed but still nothing, my uni has a lot of international students so the competition for jobs inside is hard, and I'm new so I'm at the end of the waiting list :s

Comment

Good question

The Australian Government pays students a lot of money to study, especially if you move a good distance from home to do so like I did. I don't work at the moment, because I had horrible class hours that prevented me from accepting the job offers I was given (1-2 weekdays, but 9-5 hours). Getting a job itself isn't too bad in the current economic climate. I'm also good at saving money, and I'm too busy to be overly social anyway.

You can sometimes get some good deals from here though. I know Finnair have some good rates to Australia (sometimes $1700 return to the major European Airports).

My GF helps me out by letting me stay in her sisters house for free (I pay for my own expenses).

Comment

My SO and I are both in College in the US and our college is paid for by financial aid and student loans. If our budget allows for it and we know we will have money leftover after paying for groceries, books, etc, we plan a trip. So far, this trip has only been able to happen once a year for us because money is so tight while going to college. But once a year is definitely better than nothing at all!

Comment

My parents pay for me to come back for college breaks. My SO lives in my hometown (well technically 30 minutes away but still :P) so I get to see him for free then

I just got a part time job on campus in a dining hall so that's going to help me finance a trip for him to come here.

He works and would love to pay for a trip but he has to pay all his own bills (my parents pay for most of mine) and doesn't get enough hours at his work yet :/ He wants to use his tax return money for a trip but honestly doesn't really have the finances for it.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
              Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
              Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
              Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
              Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

It helps that I don't have to fly, so I basically pay for gas and/or my bus tickets... I have a work-study job on campus, so that helps some, and I work during the summers, and I save my money pretty well.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Originally posted by 11MikesGirl21 View Post
                I'm also looking into megabus. The trip prices are pretty cheap.
                I love megabus! It's super convenient, and not that expensive!!!

sigpic

Comment

I had a full time job during summer breaks and part time during the school year. I also tutored as well which helps with the cash flow a good deal.
                  When I visited my boyfriend's house, his parents pay for everything as well. I try to pay something like a meal but it's hard to argue with elders :P If I'm not staying with his parents, I need to plan really carefully and choose budget hotels. It would really suck to go back to school and find out I've spent too much! :/

Comment

A lot of my student maintenance money goes towards funding our trips, and I work as a babysitter (when I can find parents who need one). It looks as if my financial situation is going to be a lot more unstable after May though, so we'll have to wait and see

Comment

Working...
                    X