First time out of the country- U.S to Wales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time out of the country- U.S to Wales

So, My flutterbug lives in Wales and I'm planning to visit her come May for my birthday and her holiday.
    Problem is, I have a wee bit(sarcasm alert) of anxiety when it comes to traveling alone, to new places, or being around people I don't know well. This trip is all three!!!
    So I'd be grateful for as much helpful information as anyone can supply? ^^;
    Like:
    - What I need to get into the country
    - What I should bring with me
    - How does customs work
    - Anything else you deem relevant

I won't be staying longer then 6 months so I don't need a visa if I'm just visiting right?

I've never been to Wales, but I've flown to England a lot. I'm just assuming that it can't be that different since they are part of the same country. Some things that you definitely need are your passport, a copy of your flight itinerary, and possibly proof that you'll be able to financially support yourself while you're there. You don't really need the proof of support if you're not going to be there for more than a couple of weeks. However if you're staying for longer than a month, I would take it just in case. I would take just the bare essentials with me. Most anything else you need, you'll be able to get there or your SO might already have it. Customs isn't really a big problem. The wait to get through can be kind of long sometimes, but it might be different in Wales. Usually, you just have to show your passport and answer some questions. The most common questions they've asked me is how long I'm going to be there for, why I'm there, how I know the people I'm staying with, and sometimes how much money I have with me.
    I'm not sure how long the flight from Wisconsin is, but I would recommend just taking some small things that will keep you busy, like a book. The airline might also have movies that you can watch so that's what I usually do. Also, make sure to drink water. Stay hydrated. The airplane can dry you out like no other. Also, be sure to eat something, especially if you still have some traveling to do after the plane lands. I hope that helps!
    "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
    Made it official: September 17, 2010
    Got engaged: January 15, 2012
    Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
    Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
    Got married: November 21, 2012
    Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
    Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Thanks that did help alot Meg.
      One question I have is that it's not a direct flight, I land in Dublin before continuing on to Cardiff. Would I have to deal with customs there too or is it only when I get to my end destination?

And what would be proof of support?

Comment

If you aren't leaving the airport in Dublin I don't think you need to deal with customs. Unless it changed from international flight to domestic but Ireland and Wales are two separate countries, so you should be staying in the international terminal. So you shouldn't have to deal with customs until you get to Cardiff.
        I traveled overseas by myself for the first time in November from New Zealand to London via Sydney and Singapore and then after a week in London I went to Germany, and I only needed my flight itinerary and my passport. I was overseas for just over 2 months as well and was never asked anything other than the usual why I was there, and how long I'd be there.

Comment

They don't always ask for it, but they have asked some people I know for proof of support. Of course, that could have just been because we were doing a semester abroad. Proof of supprt could be something as simple as your latest bank statement. I would take it just in case. It's better to be safe than sorry. I'm not sure about customs if you're landing in Dublin first. I've always had layovers in the US. Sorry I couldn't be more help there.
          "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
          Made it official: September 17, 2010
          Got engaged: January 15, 2012
          Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
          Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
          Got married: November 21, 2012
          Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
          Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Thank you both This is all very helpful! I don't feel nearly as nervous as I was when I posted this.

Comment

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned this but be easy on yourself if you're jet lagged and don't have too much planned for the first few days. I just got back from England and found the jet lag lasted a few days (though I did travel like 26hrs). I went over thinking I would be fine, things would be easy over there... yeah no lol. It might take you awhile to get accustom to things like food, the climate and I also got a little claustrophobic because I'm not used to being in such packed spaces (and I've never been a claustrophobic person).

I promise you seeing you're SO is all worth it, I'd do it all again for mine in a heartbeat. I'm the worrying type so I can understand travelling for the first time is pretty daunting, going to England was my first time out of the country.
              Money Savers a LFAD group for people to share money saving ideas, tips, links, etc.

Comment

Hi! My boyfriend Andy is from Wales and I flew there last November... I was terrified of traveling alone but it all went well, just don't let your luggage out of your sight at the airport and once you're at the gates keep your flight tickets and passport somewhere where you can access them easily.

When I arrived in Manchester there was passport control and a man only asked me if I'm traveling alone, they didn't ask why I was there or anything, that was it. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing it's the same way in Cardiff...

No-one ever asked me for proof of support either but then again I was there only for a week so... Can't help much with that

Andy in the other hand has been to Finland several times and the longest he stayed for was 2 months... No-one asked him anything when he arrived but he is an EU-citizen, I don't know if things are different when you're flying from the States.

Anyhow Wales is beautiful, I hope everything does well and you enjoy your stay!

Comment

Hey, I've travelled heaps, and I live in the UK. Take a look at my Travel Blog and then contact me if you need/want any more info

https://lifesabeachtravelblog.blogspot.com/
                  I'm living off £10 a week for 9 months to raise money for 4 charities (Tommy's, Home-Start, Lupus UK and Hughes Syndrome Foundation)
                  please visit my blog and sponsor me! https://10poundpom.blogspot.com/
                  It's really easy to donate, you just go to the blog link, click on the Just Giving links at the top right hand side, and then click donate! It literally takes 30 seconds to fill in the details in order to donate and it will make such a difference to these amazing charities! Every donation is greatly appreciated, no matter how small!

'The reason it hurts so much to separate....is because our souls are connected'

Comment

Hey, I've travelled heaps, and I live in the UK. Take a look at my Travel Blog and then contact me if you need/want any more info

https://lifesabeachtravelblog.blogspot.com/
                    I'm living off £10 a week for 9 months to raise money for 4 charities (Tommy's, Home-Start, Lupus UK and Hughes Syndrome Foundation)
                    It's really easy to donate, you just go to the blog link, click on the Just Giving links at the top right hand side, and then click donate! It literally takes 30 seconds to fill in the details in order to donate and it will make such a difference to these amazing charities! Every donation is greatly appreciated, no matter how small!

Comment

Have fun in sunny Wales!
                      As has already been said, being able to prove where you're staying, supporting yourself and that you're going back are the biggest things.

Comment

I read this post and squeed! Im traveling to Wales in May too!! Ill be going into Heathrow, instead of Cardiff though. (Direct flight out of Boston) we made this as a last minute decision and (as noted by the time of this post) im losing sleep over "things that need to get done" Im nearly going nuts just trying to sort myself out getting a passport and have the same anxieties as you, ESPECIALLY the thought of traveling alone. Once I get there Ill be ok, its just the flight n customs n finding my way from there haha. Ive talked to a few of his friends on Facebook, maybe you could do something similar, so breaking the ice might not be so threatening. Its his family thatll be worst...he has a big family, lol

Comment

You guys will loveee Wales, my Dad is from North Wales and my Grandma still lives there - it's so beautiful!
                          Where abouts are you both going?

Comment

Well, my boyfriend lives in South Wales, he's not too far from Swansea. I guess we'll also be seeing in Cardiff and a couple other places I can't remember at the moment. He's sort of planned everything with his friends so I can meet everybody...I'm just along for the ride :P

Comment

Working...
                            X