Amtrak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amtrak?

My sister B and I are dying to see each other, and I would really like to see my family, but that just doesn't seem financially feasible by car or plane right now. Then I remembered Amtrak. For around the price of one plane ticket, I would be able to travel there and see the family for a couple days, and travel back with her (she's 16 and hasn't traveled alone before) and pay for her round trip too. My mom is getting on board with the idea, and suggested that maybe she (or the whole family--her, dad, youngest sis) could come to WI to see Aaron and me, our apartment, the town and travel back with B so she wouldn't have to be alone (that was the one hitch in this plan). One issue is that I am having some problems with finding a station to depart from in WV, so I may have to look to VA...

So, I need real accounts of what Amtrak is like. I am a little nervous about traveling alone to WV, and I am 22 and have traveled alone before (Greyhound to see Aaron), especially since one of the stops is in Chicago. What is a trip like? To our destination will be 23 hours. How safe is it? Greyhound was a mixture, but a little rough. What should we pack? And just about any advice or experience you can offer! Also, on the site they mention hotels and rental cars...When are those necessary, on any long trip?

I used Amtrak when I was 18, and though I wasn't alone the first trip or any other trips it wasn't difficult.

You can take luggage, when you first get on the train there is an area you can put your luggage, like a storage area for big suitcases, I didn't do that the first few times because I was nervous of someone else taking it but I did it my last time and it was still there when I got to my destination.

Depending on when you go will be a factor on how busy it may be, I went one time around Thanksgiving and it was hard to find 2 open seats together, so I had to split up with my little brother. Other times you could sit annnnywhere you want.

I never did the dinning cart, as it was a lot of money and I didn't have money on me, but my parents did when they went on Amtrak, I do believe they really liked it, said it was good food. I always brought my own food in my backpack. I think they have beds, but that might be extra money? I don't know because I only rode from Dallas to Austin (about a 5 hour trip with all the stops and all) so there was no need to use a bed.

They have spot with outlets so you can plug in things, I brought my laptop to watch movies, charged my phone that sort of thing.

It was a fun experience, I loved the prices but I don't think I could do a full day(s) worth of a train ride (Clay lives in Missouri, that's like 12 hours away by car, I don't even know how long on the train)
    Join the Photography Group Today!

Comment

I've only traveled Amtrak in the Northeast Corridor (Springfield, MA to NYC & DC to NYC). Those trips have been 5 hours or less. It was a very pleasant ride. The seats are spacious, and there is plenty of space to put luggage. Some stations even have checked luggage services. There is also a 120v outlet for every set of seats which is nice to charge laptops and such on a long trip. The dining car can get pricey. The trains I took it was more of a cafe car, so the food was nothing to write home about. A full 24 hour trip seems long, but I think its totally doable on a train where you can get up and walk around and have plenty of room. Not to mention some of the scenery (no all of course) is spectacular!

Comment

I've done short Amtrak trips before (only 3 1/2 hours) and I know for the longer trips they have trains with beds. I haven't had any negative experiences, but I also haven't had many experiences. I hope it all works out!

Comment

Trains with accommodations (beds) are very expensive. I think I'd only consider that option if I were traveling several days or if I had small children.

Comment

I've never heard of Amtrak until today, but from my past train experiences, if you're on a train with the bunk beds, don't sleep on the top bunk, the movement of the train is more feel-able up there and it's very uncomfortable. /:

Comment

Thanks for all your advice! I am feeling a little bummed because I do not know if Amtrak will work after all. I can get to a small West Virginia town nearby my family, but getting out with my sister may be an issue since I have tried every station around, and even in Virginia, but they aren't showing any return trips...I hope I can fix it, because I really wanted to see everyone and convincing my parents to let my sister fly alone may be difficult...

Comment

I took Amtrak to go to College when I was 18, I live in VA and I was going to school in WI and I'm terrified of flying so it was about my only choice. The ride was about 23 hours total, I had a stop in DC and Chicago. The Chicago station was a bit crowded and confusing but if you pay attention to the signs it isn't too difficult to figure it out. Most of the Amtrak employees are very nice and are willing to help you with anything. Id say it was a very nice experience. In comparison to flying (which I've done once or twice), I believe that Amtrak was a much better experience.

Comment

Working...
                X