The 7 hour drive... help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 7 hour drive... help needed.

I am lucky in the sense that my SO lives only 7 hours away and i own a brand new car which is very cheap on fuel.

I can easily make it to his house by afternoon of one day if i leave early in the morning but i have never driven longer than 4 hours.

Help me figure out how to stay awake and alive on the road while driving to see him.

Done this before? I need tips .

My SO is 6 hours away. I feel your pain. Make frequent stops. Every two hours, stop, get out and move around. It'll help keep you alert and awake. Make CDs or an itunes playlist of songs you like to sing along to. I sometimes drink 5 hour engery to help keep myself away when I drive to see him.
    "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

I have driven many 7-14 hour road trips. I agree with Rugger's suggestions but would add.. make sure you get plenty of sleep the couple days before you start. I stop every 2 hours and walk around, use the bathroom, wash my face in the sink, and get a caffeinated drink.

Everything I know, and anywhere I go, It gets hard but it won't take away my love,
      And when the last one falls, when it's all said and done, It gets hard but it won't take away my love

sigpic

Me without Him is like Son of Beast without the loop.

Comment

If you are staying with your SO for a few days don't rush to get there. You are normally up for 7 hours during the day so leave a bit later to make sure you get enough sleep. If you leave at 10 you'll be there for dinner. Like the others said, take breaks regularly, if you feel tired for some reason pull over at a rest stop and take a 20 min nap.

Comment

I've never had a problem driving on long road trips. Just make sure you get plenty of rest before hand, stay alert and rested during the drive and you'll be fine. If you feel tired, take a quick nap and don't forget to get out and about and stretch your legs. The sunshine will do you good. Carry a couple of apples in your car, they give you more energy than a cup of coffee.

Comment

Are you into books on tape? I haven't listened to one of these in awhile but anything to get my mind off how much driving I have left helps for the long trips.

Comment

I've been on long road trips with my parents before on holiday, and although it's not quite the same thing as actually driving, my dad (who does the majority of the driving, since I can't drive yet) stops often, has regular breaks to get some fresh air on his face and wake himself up, he drinks lots of tea or other caffeinated drinks and listens to the radio

Comment

All very good tips given so far. I'd like to add if you're afraid you might fall asleep, try not to make any part of your trip before the sun rises or after it sets. And if you start to nod off, stop and get out, walk around, have a bite to eat. Once you start nodding off, nothing will keep you from doing it while you're still driving. And try not to eat anything too heavy before or durning the drive. Keep it light and low sugar so you don't have a sugar crash. The 5 Hour Energy things are great, but make sure you have two so when the first wears off you can drink the second.

Comment

Working...
                X