Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scared of my first flight to the US

So I would like to hear some your thoughts about this:

Basically SO lives about 5024 miles away from me. I live in Europe and she's from the US. And we're together for almost 4 months now and we already started talking about meeting each other for the first time (yeah we met online . We decided that I will fly over to go visit her and her family. We have kind of set a date already, which is November 2012.
    Only problem is: I never took a plane somewhere on my own... I flew with some friends to Germany, which was a 1hr flight. It wasn't that big of a deal but I'm pretty sure international flights will be a lot different.
    So now I'm kind of scared to fly to the US on my own. Especially because it's not a direct flight and there might be one or two layovers...
    So my question was: is there a big difference in flying europe only and flying international?
    I used online check-in on my first flight, so that was pretty straight forward. Just print the boarding cards, go through the security check at the airport (which wasn't really a check, just scanning the hand luggage and go through the metal detector) and then try to find the gate and wait there to board the plane...
    Can anyone tell me how much of a difference it is to fly to the US? and with the layovers etc? because I'm just scared that I'm going to get lost at the airport and won't have a clue where to go etc lol

Would really appreciate some replies

thanks
    Close together or far apart, you're forever in my heart.

I wouldn't say it's too much different. The difference between flying nationally and internationally has, in my experience, been that if you're flying internationally, you go through the additional step of going through immigration. Which is more or less where they inquire about where you're going to be staying, what's your relationship to the person you're staying with, how long are you staying, are you going to school in your home country, etc. More or less they want to determine that you're going to leave when you say you are. :P But present them with documentation (such as your itinerary) and you should be fine.

As for connecting flights, they're not too bad. I was terrified to have them! I had my first connecting flight going to Ireland. Give yourself about 2 hours and try and connect in the same country. Ask if they'll be checking your bags all the way to your destination city if they don't tell you/guarantee it. Read up on the airline's policies (they each have their own) as for what you can carry-on etc. Basically do your research and you'll be fine. It's not as scary as it seems. :P
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

I haven't flown Europe ---> America before but I have done international. When I went from New Zealand to Germany to see my SO last year it was the first time I had flown international by myself and had two layovers, one in Sydney and one in Singapore. In terms of the layovers, everything is normally pretty clear about where you need to go. I was very worried about getting lost in the airports but there really isn't a way to get lost, there are so many directions everywhere. You'll probably have to do a couple more hand luggage security checks throughout the whole flight but that's all. I think you should be fine! Hope you have a great time!

Comment

Generally there isn’t too much difference travelling internationally. Check the regulations for (hand-) luggage. The US has quite rigid rules on what you can and cannot bring! You want to make sure to follow those. Furthermore, the security will most likely be more extensive, so you might want to leave some more time for that. Once you land on US soil you will have to go through immigrations and customs.
        For those you will need a valid passport [Reisepass] and you have to register for ESTA online prior to your stay. I’d recommend you do it about a month or so in advance. Also make sure you submit all the necessary information to the airline you’re travelling with. Since November of 2010 all airlines need you to submit additional passenger information before you board the plane if your heading to the US. Check this website for more information: https://www.lufthansa.com/online/por...=1756436&l=de]

Don’t worry you wont get lost! Your English is great so if worst comes to worst you can always ask for help! From my experience most people at airports are really nice and willing to help. I hope I could help, good luck!

ESTA: https://bern.usembassy.gov/niv_waiver_program.html [information]
        https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ [register for ESTA here]

I almost forgot: Arriving on US soil you will have to carry your luggage through customs. It will not be check onto your next flight automatically, this is only true for the first airport though. So if you do have to change flights make sure to leave time for that.

Comment

At the outset, it's exactly the same: you print out your boarding pass beforehand (or, if you have a layover, I'd print out all of your boarding passes beforehand and keep them in a folder), go through security check, find your gate and wait. The only difference is going through customs: after you land, you'll get off the plane and have have to wait in line and talk to a customs agent, who's usually behind glass in a booth. He/she'll look at your passport, and maybe ask you a question or two, usually something like "What is the reason for your stay in the US?" and all you have to do is say that you're visiting a friend/my girlfriend/etc. what have you. As long as your passport is up to date, you shouldn't have any problems at all getting through customs, and the agent will wave you through and you can go to get your luggage if you've checked any.

If you have a layover (or layovers,) I would check to see where the gate for your next flight is and head there ASAP, even if you have a couple of hours to spare and they haven't told you where your gate is yet, you can hang out near where you're supposed to be. After getting lost in Charles de Gaulle airport and almost missing my flight, it's better to be safe than sorry

Good luck and I hope that helped!

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the answers! Yeah I see, shouldn't be that big of a deal haha

Comment

I've flown domestically here in the US, transcontinental, and EU to EU, they've all been pretty much the same, except the security is tighter in the US (and in the UK) than some of the EU countries I've been to (I know Switzerland isn't actually an EU country, and the UK is, I'm trying to make it simple though ). My advice is, since you're nervous, try to pick flights with longer layover times, so if you DO get lost in an airport, you'll have plenty of time to figure it out. Make sure you have at least a couple of hours between flights, even if it costs a little more. Also, airport size is something to consider. Huge airports can be confusing and it can take forever to walk to your gate, if you can choose a smaller airport to switch flights in, you might feel better. Heathrow, for example, isn't for beginners by themselves Just take your time, and between now and then, and do your research. Here's a link to the US Customs office, there's some good things in it you'll need to know....https://www.cbp.gov/ Good luck!
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Do be aware that Thanksgiving is at the end of November and is the busiest travel time in the United States. Airline prices will be sky-high that week, the airports are going to be massively crowded, there will be huge lines, and flights will probably be delayed, especially if there are any major snowstorms in any of the hub cities, even if you're not traveling through them. If you're traveling that week, make sure you book flights with plenty of time to make connections, or if you can, fly direct, at least from another EU city. Try not to have connections in the States.

My SO is coming over from the UK for Thanksgiving, and we're hoping we've booked the trip with enough cushion days on either side so he can avoid the rush. And we're hoping there's no snow!

If you're NOT flying around Thanksgiving, you have to book soon because you're getting close to travel time and the prices are going to rise.

Other than that, you should be fine. Passengers for international travel go through a bit more security, but it's pretty common sense, especially if you've flown before. Don't bring liquids in your carry on (or familiarize yourself with the regulations), don't wear clothes with metal unless you can remove it (like a belt), and wear comfy shoes that you can slip off and on (you may have to take your shoes off in security).

And when you're interviewed by immigration, have your itinerary of where you're going and who you're staying with, and have a phone contact (and make sure it's a phone that your girlfriend will be available to answer in case immigration wants to talk to her. Not likely, but it happens sometimes). Have proof of your return flight just in case they ask. Have proof of being a student or employed, again, just in case they ask. Best not to call your SO your girlfriend; just call her a friend. You'll probably fly through (most people do), but if you get an agent with a stick up his bum, it's best to be prepared. They just want to ensure you're not going to overstay your visa, so if you're just there on holiday and have a reason to return home, you'll breeze through.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Minerva View Post
                  Do be aware that Thanksgiving is at the end of November and is the busiest travel time in the United States. Airline prices will be sky-high that week, the airports are going to be massively crowded, there will be huge lines, and flights will probably be delayed, especially if there are any major snowstorms in any of the hub cities, even if you're not traveling through them. If you're traveling that week, make sure you book flights with plenty of time to make connections, or if you can, fly direct, at least from another EU city. Try not to have connections in the States.

My SO is coming over from the UK for Thanksgiving, and we're hoping we've booked the trip with enough cushion days on either side so he can avoid the rush. And we're hoping there's no snow!

If you're NOT flying around Thanksgiving, you have to book soon because you're getting close to travel time and the prices are going to rise.

Other than that, you should be fine. Passengers for international travel go through a bit more security, but it's pretty common sense, especially if you've flown before. Don't bring liquids in your carry on (or familiarize yourself with the regulations), don't wear clothes with metal unless you can remove it (like a belt), and wear comfy shoes that you can slip off and on (you may have to take your shoes off in security).

And when you're interviewed by immigration, have your itinerary of where you're going and who you're staying with, and have a phone contact (and make sure it's a phone that your girlfriend will be available to answer in case immigration wants to talk to her. Not likely, but it happens sometimes). Have proof of your return flight just in case they ask. Have proof of being a student or employed, again, just in case they ask. Best not to call your SO your girlfriend; just call her a friend. You'll probably fly through (most people do), but if you get an agent with a stick up his bum, it's best to be prepared. They just want to ensure you're not going to overstay your visa, so if you're just there on holiday and have a reason to return home, you'll breeze through.

Good luck!
                  Minerva, he's not coming 'til next November I thought the same about getting tickets fast, until I saw he meant 2012.
                  Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                    Minerva, he's not coming 'til next November I thought the same about getting tickets fast, until I saw he meant 2012.
                    haha yeah I planned on staying there for 3 weeks so I would fly over 2 weeks before thanksgiving probably
                    and I would book the flight like half a year before the trip :P

Comment

LOL.

I even saw the "2012" and it just went right out of my mind. Forgive me, my SO is arriving here for the first time in less than a month now, and I'm starting to go a bit silly. Hehe.

Comment

Working...
                      X