Hostels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hostels?

Has anyone here stayed in a hostel? What was your experience? Good/bad? Is there anything you'd do/have done differently? Would you stay in a hostel again?
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

I stayed in a hostel when I went to Berlin for a weekend and holy crap, was it awesome. It was basically like a hotel--huge lobby, free wifi, common area with different cell phone chargers, 5 euro breakfast--but for only $20 a night and a shared room, of course. But that was the fun part--I was in the 6-bed room, and the 5 other people were these British guys who had all gone to the same posh boarding school and were backpacking through Europe while they were waiting for their test results and university acceptance (or rejection) letters. It was a blast--we drank whiskey and coke together and watched goofy YouTube videos.

Hostelbooker.com is a great resource, just read the reviews very closely and you should be set!

Comment

I stayed in one for the first time when my SO came down. Very good experience. I was at first very nervous about the idea. I had a whole different image in my head. But the experience was really good. First time staying, I shared a room with three other girls. You get your key to your room, everyone has there own bunk bed, and everyone is friendly and respectful of your space. The next time we stayed in a hostel we did a mix room, boy and girl, but I was with my SO. We actually shared a bunk bed lol instead of sleeping in our own beds. Was again a good experience. And then the other time we stayed in a hostel, he got us a private room, so it was just us. Was no beds just mattresses, but was clean and nice having a room to ourself. Over all I would recommend staying at a hostel, It's cheaper, if you can book months in advance, he saved a lot of money that way. And was in a nice area too. When we went we were right on hollywood blvd. And the other in san francisco right near union square.
      I love you Nathan <3
      sigpic
      5/25/09 <3

Comment

I've stayed in countless hostels. Whenever we go somewhere we always look at hostels as our first option. We even stayed in hostels our entire west coast road trip. They are always cheaper then hotels, they have private rooms as well that me and my SO will usually stay in. Washrooms are usually outside the room, but it has never been an issue. Its just like if you were in your bedroom. If you sleep in a room with 4+ beds there are lockers to lock your stuff. People are always so friendly in hostels, I never had bad experience with a bad room mate. They are quiet and if they come in late try not to wake you.

I usually book on hostelworld.com they have reviews which we'll look over before booking just to make sure its not a complete hole. But you have to remember to take each review lightly. Someone that is expecting a 4 star hotel is going to give a poor review over someone who knows that they are only there to sleep for the night and their only expectation is clean sheets. Hostels can be not so glamorous. We stayed in one where the roof was so slanted we couldn't put our feet out cause they'd hit the roof, it was still a good hostel and had what we needed. It was clean, had a kitchen and parking.

Why pay $100+ a night while traveling if the only reason you are there is to shower and sleep, doesn't make sense! I love hostels.

Comment

Never been to one. It might sound prissy but they freak me out a bit IDK why. I just have issues with things/places where are sleep that I have to share and may not be super sanitary.
          Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

I don't like hostels. My SO and I stayed in one during our road trip and while it was clean... it was also really small and I also don't like having to share certain facilities with others. It was also really loud because so many young boys were staying there. Made me feel uncomfortable. I was really glad once we left! I much prefer motels or hotels. Can't go wrong with those. But the experience definitely wasn't horrible. It's just not really my thing.

Comment

Thank you everyone! I'm simply looking at money-saving ways to travel when I might not have somewhere to stay. I think it's the idea of having roommates/the issue of security that's made me so nervous. :P
              { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
              Met online: February 2009
              Feelings confessed: December 2010
              Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
              Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
              First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
              Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
              Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
              Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
              to be continued...

Comment

I've only stayed in a hostel once... in London.
                Honestly, it was a great experience, I met the coolest group of people. And I was afraid of the sharing rooms too, but it's not that much different than going to summer camp or dorm living, and I love both of those things.

First Met Online: October 2010
                First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
                Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
                First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
                Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
                Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
                Engaged!: June 1, 2013
                Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

I ONLY stay in hostels. Here in CR you can get a cheap hotel room for $40 a night, but why when you can pay $9 a night? I love hostels. I use two main websites: www.hostelworld.com and www.hostelbookers.com There's reviews and ratings on each one, so that way your chance of ending up in a shitty place is less. I also use www.couchsurfing.org which is FREE and you stay in people's houses. Yes, it's safe. And it's awesome because you get a native to show you around. In CA I surfed with a guy whose friend took my sister and I to 5 wineries in Paso Robles. It was sweeeeet!

PS- re: security-- there's almost always lockers in dorm rooms. But I have never used one and have NEVER had anything happen. There's always stories, but seriously all my good stuff comes with me when I leave (ie: credit card, camera, money, etc). The worst thing that has ever happened to me in a hostel is guys trying to get in your pants. But is that really all that bad? jajaja!

Comment

I would love to do the couchsurfing thing!
                    Next time I travel....

First Met Online: October 2010
                    First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
                    Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
                    First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
                    Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
                    Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
                    Engaged!: June 1, 2013
                    Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

www.budgetplaces.com is also a good website. My SO and I found the Hostel we stayed in Berlin through that site... It was a great deal and we didn't have to share room/bathroom with others.... plus breakfast was included in the price!

Comment

I've stayed in tons of hostels and couchsurfed several times too. I've had mostly awesome experiences (once in awhile, you get some loud people while you're trying to sleep b/c you have an early flight or something, but nothing bad). And it really is the best way to meet people and get travel/food/sightseeing suggestions.

I highly recommend couchsurfing, like Lucybelle, I've had some really great times, met amazing people, had delicious meals, and learned insider secrets about the cities I was visiting from people who lived there.

Comment

I've been using hostelworld.com, so far I've only stayed in 2 hostels. They were both really nice, and if you're worried about roommates you can generally find a hostel that offers private rooms for a bit extra. My travel buddy and I have only chosen hostels that either have private rooms or all female dorms (some only have mixed, and she's super conservative while I'm in my LDR so we wouldn't be comfortable in dorms with guys).

In any case, you'll be able to find a good place to stay at an affordable price- I've booked one for the end of my time abroad that is a total of 50 pounds for three nights. Granted, I am staying in a 12 girl dorm, but I'm not very picky.

Comment

I use hostelworld.com, great site!
                            I have generally had positive experiences with hostels, stayed in one called the Montclair Montmartre in Paris which was by far the best - adorable, good location, fresh croissants every morning!
                            I actually had a completely creepy experience with a hostel here in Edinburgh about a month ago - I was staying in the hostel for about 2.5 weeks before I found a flat, and for the first 5 nights I was in a 38-bed-room. One night I had fallen asleep, and woke up to the guy in the next bed to me sitting on the edge of his bed and rubbing my back. I lay there completely shocked for a few seconds, then he came and sat on the edge of my bed, and I screeched "TAKE YOUR HAND OFF MY BACK!!" and he muttered an apology and got back in his own bed. I marched down to reception and they upgraded me to an 8 bed room for free for the rest of my stay. Creepy as hell. Tarnished my opinion of Dubliners a bit, but fortunately I still generally love Irish people!

But I would not hesitate to stay in a hostel again, even the same one where that happened. It's the best way to meet people travelling

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                            Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

well i just found this thread and im glad for the most part everyone has positive things to say as i have just booked to stay in a hostel way i go visit my SO not that i was all that worried but this thread has just reassured me

Comment

Working...
                              X