Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.5 hours layover at Schiphol Airport: Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in Holland so im at Schiphol airport a lot. Dont worry, there is so much to see! There are really nice restrooms where you can relax, or sleep a bit. And i heard there are places where you can take a shower too! There is a museum, a library and so many shops. You can find ALL kinds of food there, so im sure there will be something that you like!
    We pay with euros, but everywhere are places to change your money.
    The border control will be easy because you are EU citizen, so you just have to show your passport and thats it.

You can also just sit somewhere and watch all the people haha. I love to do that at the airport, so many different people, different cultures etc. Its really fun to watch!
    With you or with no one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
      Nope! You should only go through immigration in Amsterdam. When you land in Norway, you will just walk out of the airport. You should be able to walk out of the airport once you get through immigration. As long as you have your ongoing ticket, you should be able to go through security again and board the Norwegien flight.
      Oh my, this is awesome News! Ironically enough I wish now that I had a longer layover because I also found out that I could leave my carry-on in a locker and the novice tourist that I am would've loved sightseeing Holland for an hour or so. But stepping out on the grounds is liberating enough so thank you for this info.

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
      If you only get hit with a % fee, I don't see any issue in using your card while you're in Europe. I would be weary with getting cash (if you plan on travelling a lot) because Norway doesn't use the euro and neither does it's close neighbours Sweden or Denmark. It's much better/easier to use your card in these instances because Visa cards are very easily accepted.
      That's why I come to you guys because you have more experience with this traveling business. I didn't even factor in the backpacking traveling part and the ease of using my visa. I do confirm that the % fee isn't that bad if I use the card once in a while. Last time, swiping was my middle name so the fees added up fast for a 2.5 week stay I think I was too careless. But thanks again for helping me think "smart".
      Last edited by Gin_12; July 30, 2013, 08:53 AM. Reason: fix a sentence

Comment

Originally posted by Safihre View Post
        Since you come from international flight and going to a EU flight you'll have to go through customs since the 2 'terminals' (non-EU and EU) are separated. But no big deal, they just glare at your passport and might ask you the purpose of your stay.
        Local currency is indeed Euro and most shops there only accept that, but getting money from ATM will probably even cost you more than using your credit card for those few transactions.
        Amsterdam is too far away to visit, it's a 1/2 hour train ride so you cannot visit it. 4.5 hours could be enough in theory but don't risk it.
        Just go window shopping, in both 'terminals' there is more than enough stuff to keep you occupied for a little and the rest of the time... well, you just have to wait it out near your gate!
        Thanks for the heads up, I was getting carried away over the fact that I can exit the airport. I was going to shadow Moon's idea and plan to exit for a short sightseeing trip to the city. Since I am very much wanting to visit Holland, the idea of going out instantly grabbed my mind. But you are right, I should not risk it or it could be a disaster... I'll just plan a separate trip to Holland another time
        Last edited by Gin_12; July 30, 2013, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suuz View Post
          I live in Holland so im at Schiphol airport a lot. Dont worry, there is so much to see! There are really nice restrooms where you can relax, or sleep a bit. And i heard there are places where you can take a shower too! There is a museum, a library and so many shops. You can find ALL kinds of food there, so im sure there will be something that you like!
          We pay with euros, but everywhere are places to change your money.
          The border control will be easy because you are EU citizen, so you just have to show your passport and thats it.

You can also just sit somewhere and watch all the people haha. I love to do that at the airport, so many different people, different cultures etc. Its really fun to watch!
          Hi Suuz, a museum? that's awesome! I can't sleep though, to fight off jet-lag, but I need to know more about those showers, that would be heaven and it is a sweet tip. I'm not EU citizen though...
          Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Everyone on here is awesome, Thank You so much, I started this thread with a lot of worries because I am not only a novice but I have never been on a layover of more than 2 hours. Now I am looking forward to that layover so I can satisfy a bit of my tourist itch. The tips are definitely helping!

Comment

Originally posted by Gin_12 View Post
              Hi Suuz, a museum? that's awesome! I can't sleep though, to fight off jet-lag, but I need to know more about those showers, that would be heaven and it is a sweet tip. I'm not EU citizen though...
              Thanks for your reply.
              The showers are at Lounge 3 on the first floor of Hotel Mercure. You can only use it when you are transit passenger, so its good for you! Its opened 24 hours a day and its €15 (you will get soap, shampoo, towels and a hairdryer too.)
              Im sorry, i thought you were a EU citizen because you fly from Norway, but i didnt read the whole story, im sorry haha!
              With you or with no one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gin_12 View Post
                Oh my, this is awesome News! Ironically enough I wish now that I had a longer layover because I also found out that I could leave my carry-on in a locker and the novice tourist that I am would've loved sightseeing Holland for an hour or so. But stepping out on the grounds is liberating enough so thank you for this info.

That's why I come to you guys because you have more experience with this traveling business. I didn't even factor in the backpacking traveling part and the ease of using my visa. I do confirm that the % fee isn't that bad if I use the card once in a while. Last time, swiping was my middle name so the fees added up fast for a 2.5 week stay I think I was too careless. But thanks again for helping me think "smart".
                No worries! Perhaps you could negotiate with your SO on splitting payments such that you pay for larger things/he pays for lesser things?

Also enjoy your time in Europe!

Comment

Originally posted by Suuz View Post
                  The showers are at Lounge 3 on the first floor of Hotel Mercure. You can only use it when you are transit passenger, so its good for you! Its opened 24 hours a day and its €15 (you will get soap, shampoo, towels and a hairdryer too.)
                  Im sorry, i thought you were a EU citizen because you fly from Norway, but i didnt read the whole story, im sorry haha!
                  excellent! I am definitely checking out Hotel Mercure. This is more accommodation I was hoping for. Great Tip.

Comment

Hello guys, I have returned!
                    Yes it was sad to leave and it took me 2 days to shake off the jet-lag. I wanted to update/Review this thread and also thank everyone for great tips. You are the best and I am so glad you are part of this community. So here we go

Moon- I happened to have a few euros so I brought those to pay for the shower. I did use my card to get something to eat and I had to rethink packing my carry-on. It was LIGHT-er by the time I finished and convenient especially when putting it inside the plane’s overhead storage. I checked out the airport and there is a bicycle track that goes around the airport. Anyone can rent a bicycle and use the trail while watching planes take off and land. I was hoping I could give it a try then I remembered that super light and flowy dress I was planning to wear to Oslo… a glance at the wind predictions killed that plan… In reality though, once I cleared the immigration, I no longer had much time left to improvise.
                    MlleBamako- I had to go through immigration in Schiphol because my connecting flight was a domestic flight.
                    Safihre, Kattermole and Alle1770- Yup you were on the money! 4.5 hours was not that long of a layover once I showered, dressed, went through long immigration lines and fed myself. I barely sat at my gate for half an hour before I was standing in line again to board.
                    Tookie- You were right, I went through the customs in Schiphol and took a domestic flight into Oslo. I was only asked about the purpose of my visit and the length of my stay…. I carefully used my card this time around and SO and I split the costs of things. I just gave him the cash to cover my end.
                    Maja- I was too elated to hang out in Hotel Mercure’s bathroom, pampering myself. I am a cheapo so I don’t usually go to manicure places. I also didn’t have many euros left and stuck to my plan to use my card at the airport once only.
                    Suuz – Hotel Mercure was everything I anticipated. It was so nice to be able to take my time, to shower, change into my “cute” outfit, and do my hair. It definitely made my trip feel shorter. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                    X