England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England

For a study abroad scholarship I am going for I have to talk about a current social, political or environmental issue that is relevant to the place I am studying. I will be studying in England and I realized a lot of people on this site are from England. Sooo I was wondering what all of you thought the biggest issue would be, because I really am not quite sure of what to write about.
    ~"Happiness is not the absence of problems but the ability to deal with them"~

Huge political issue at the minute is the coalition government & all the cuts they're doing. They're trying to save money to pay off the defeciet (not spelt right I don't think) that the last government (Labour) created by cutting costs. As a result, jobs are being lost, companies suffering etc etc. If you want to look at a particular case, look up on the internet 'BAE Brough'. As a result of the defence cuts, there are nearly 1000 jobs being lost in this company. (try www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk for some news stories on this). I'm not really up to speed on politics & such, but from what I pick up off the internet, this is the most basic outline I can give you from someone who is almost totally clueless. Good websites are www.bbc.co.uk, & online newspapers The Guardian & The Times. You could find lots of articles on there, there's always something they've done that's in the papers.

A social issue is the riots in London & several big cities across the county at the beginning of August. Again, try some of the above websites for more information. www.en.wikipedia.org might have an article on the riots.

Comment

I'm studying abroad in England right now and it's amazing!! I hope you get the scholarship

Comment

Yep, political issues as stated above, the protests at the moment, eupoean crisis is having a big impact too with the bail out situations.

Comment

Working...
        X