Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who have travelled, how much were your tickets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who have travelled, how much were your tickets?

Hey guys.

So i've been doing the usual shopping around for the cheapest prices etc etc, they dont seem to get much cheaper though!

Just wondering how much people paid for their flights to the US? I'd be going from London to Portland, Oregon, so anyone who's made that trip before I'd love to hear from you. Looking to hear how much everyone's tickets cost in general (specifically return costs for flights all-tolled).

Best im looking at seems to be around £650 :s

My SO's will probably cost around $600-700. I pay about $900-$1100 for when I visit in the summer.
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

When are you going?
      Christmas and other holidays will always be more expensive than usual so try and go "out of season".
      Have you checked scyscanner and united airlines? They have good offers usually. I have seen flights around 600€ or are you looking at direct flights?

Comment

When I do go, I checked around and the cheapest I could get from Canada to Indianapolis, US was like 528..and the cheapest website I found was cheapoair..but I think I am going to take the plane to Toronto, and then take the greyhound to indy..it's like almost 300 dollars cheaper.

Comment

The first flight to the US, altogether with ESTA I paid just under a grand. This time around I paid just under 700. I find if you book around 6/7 weeks ahead or more you will get the best deals. I kept an eye on expedia even though I did not book with them to get a feel for the prices because they change dramatically week to week.

This was me flying out from Birmingham Internation (uk) The first flight was via Amsterdam and Detroit on the way to Norfolk Virginia.

This time I am flying straight to the States via Newark Ny

Comment

I find as long as I book 1-2 months in advance, it doesn't matter when I fly. For example when I'm looking at flight prices for Christmas time right now, they are the same price as what I flew around summertime ($400) Last Christmas I booked 1 month or less in advance and my flight cost me over $600... August before (2011), it was about $400.
            First met online: June, 2010
            First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
            Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
            Third visit together: August, 2012
            Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
            Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
            Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
            Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Having flown to Chicago on numerous occasions I use different websites to find the best deals. And as Hevpie said booking some weeks before you intend to fly means you can sometimes get good deals. I have used Expedia, also Momondo and a few times I've actually booked flights through the airline. My flights have cost anything between £340 to £470 return and it also depends on what time of year you fly. And I always book the direct flights because I don't want to hassle of connecting in another airport, so you do pay more if you fly direct....

Started Writing - February 2010
              First Visit - September 2010
              Second Visit - June 2011
              Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
              Our Wedding Day - April 2012
              Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
              NOA1 - July 2012
              NOA2 - December 2012
              Fourth Visit - December 2012
              Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

The cheapest I ever managed was $2000, I think last time I paid around $2800 which made me very sad. But I always use expedia to find my flights, it's really the easiest option as opposed to going through the websites of separate airlines etc.

I always started looking for flights at least a month before I wanted to book them, that way I got a better idea of prices, had more time to compare different dates and days etc and could see how the prices were fluctuating, plus you're more likely to find something cheaper if you check more often. I think that's how I got the flights for $2000 once, just one day I happened to check and there it was, hadn't been there the day before and it wasn't there the next day either. Just keep an eye out.
                Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
                First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
                  My SO's will probably cost around $600-700. I pay about $900-$1100 for when I visit in the summer.
                  Blimey, that's cheap on his side! That's not too dissimilar a journey for him either, mine would be around $1000 (£700)

Originally posted by Kiyama View Post
                  When are you going?
                  Christmas and other holidays will always be more expensive than usual so try and go "out of season".
                  Have you checked scyscanner and united airlines? They have good offers usually. I have seen flights around 600€ or are you looking at direct flights?
                  We haven't settled on any dates just yet, but it would likely have to be during a 'holiday' time, due to where she's at college.
                  i've shopped around a little bit (though by no means have I exhausted my options). Just looking at comparisons to other's prices mostly .

Oh and there dont seem to be options for a direct flight from London to Portland, Oregon. Everything ive seen has a connection flight at Dallas/New York, so it's gunna be a long one .

Comment

Oh, and this is on a slight parallel, but it's just popped into my mind and I figure starting another thread seems silly.

How long should I allow for my connection flight wait? This would be my first time flying to America, so I would have to go through the whole customs check, biometrics etc etc.

Comment

You always have to go through customs, no matter how many times you've visited
                      Usually you take the option the website gives to you. They plan it that way that you are able to get your connecting flight.
                      That doesn't mean that you can't run into troubles though. Planes do get delayed. A few months back I had a two hour delay because some of the toilets didn't work. The guy's comment who told us: this plane is no good. But don't worry. We have another one ready for you. well, but of course not immediately. But those are things you cannot foresee.

Comment

I think that 4 hours is a pretty safe amount of time. It depends on the airport though. Smaller airports are quicker to get through.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishMan View Post
                          Blimey, that's cheap on his side! That's not too dissimilar a journey for him either, mine would be around $1000 (£700)
                          When are you going? He visits spring break, so in the off-season. I visit in the summer and try to avoid peak season.

My ex, who was from London, visited me for around $500-600 in February and double that in the summer. Any time in the off-season, it's going to be less expensive, but depending on your/her commitments, that's going to mean making certain sacrifices.

Also, I have never had issues with 1-2 hour long layovers, but I often look for 3-hour long ones "in case." Still, the only problem occurs if it occurs at the first airport. I had a delay going home to San Francisco, but it didn't matter much to me because it was the last plane before home. I have never had an issue with the plane being delayed the airport I'm departing from, so usually feel pretty safe with shorter layovers. But I think 3 is a good time. I would never go longer than that if I could avoid it.
                          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                          Met online: February 2009
                          Feelings confessed: December 2010
                          Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                          Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                          First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                          Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                          Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                          Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                          to be continued...

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyama View Post
                            You always have to go through customs, no matter how many times you've visited
                            Usually you take the option the website gives to you. They plan it that way that you are able to get your connecting flight.
                            That doesn't mean that you can't run into troubles though. Planes do get delayed. A few months back I had a two hour delay because some of the toilets didn't work. The guy's comment who told us: this plane is no good. But don't worry. We have another one ready for you. well, but of course not immediately. But those are things you cannot foresee.
                            Oh yeah I knew I'd have to go through customs every time, just I figure the initial time might require extra checking etc .

Oh thats good that they'll work with your connecting flight where possible. I read that usually if there are delays that make you miss a connection, they'll put you on the net available one (would hope so really..) although it can get confusing with flights done by different companies on either end.

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                            I think that 4 hours is a pretty safe amount of time. It depends on the airport though. Smaller airports are quicker to get through.
                            Fortunately a good few of the ones on my journey seem to have 6 hour waits, which while annoying would at least play it safe.

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
                            When are you going? He visits spring break, so in the off-season. I visit in the summer and try to avoid peak season.

My ex, who was from London, visited me for around $500-600 in February and double that in the summer. Any time in the off-season, it's going to be less expensive, but depending on your/her commitments, that's going to mean making certain sacrifices.

Also, I have never had issues with 1-2 hour long layovers, but I often look for 3-hour long ones "in case." Still, the only problem occurs if it occurs at the first airport. I had a delay going home to San Francisco, but it didn't matter much to me because it was the last plane before home. I have never had an issue with the plane being delayed the airport I'm departing from, so usually feel pretty safe with shorter layovers. But I think 3 is a good time. I would never go longer than that if I could avoid it.
                            I figure it'll likely be during one of the 'holidays', just cause that's when she'll be free. Dont want her to just be at college all the time, or me distracting her from work .

$500-600?!? Dayum, I need to find me some tickets like that. And Yeah I agree with you about the layovers. Im most bothered about the changeover on the way to her, if the delays happen on the way back then it's less an issue, would just drag on is all lol

Thanks btw everyone. Really helping a noob out here

Comment

6 hours is too much. My first trip to Europe had a 6 hour stopover, and I was sitting around for about 4 hours with nothing to do. If there aren't any delays, you can transit within 60 minutes tops.

(I believe that the US has more security measures than other countries, so add some time on if need be)

Comment

Working...
                              X