No announcement yet.

Canada/USA Border - So Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully this doesn't come off as offensive, I don't mean for it to, but he is a legal US citizen, right? I know you don't want to talk about why he doesn't have or can't get a passport, and I'm not asking, it's just because if the reason is that he's maybe not legal, do not chance it, he will not be let back in, he'll be deported back to his home country.

Again, if that's not the case at all, sorry about that, it's just a thought since that is one reason for not being able to obtain a US passport. You can ignore this post if it doesn't apply.

***Nevermind, you just called him a US citizen above, but I'll leave this here, in case it's useful to anyone else.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes, he is a legal U.S. citizen. Completely unrelated reasons for not being able to obtain a passport at this moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyah View Post
        Getting across? Everything I have read has said that U.S. Citizens can cross by land into Canada just fine without a passport, called them up and they said the same too.
        All i know is in July of 12 they said the ONLY reason we could even possibly get across is because we were from so far south. They were nice about it but they said that we either needed a passport, passport card or a special class DL (which we can not get in texas). IDK if it has changed though!

if he cant get a passport, maybe he could get a special class DL?

Comment

I'll be asking him about the enhanced driver's licence tonight, not sure if his state has it. But I'll find out tonight. Thanks all for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyah View Post
            I'll be asking him about the enhanced driver's licence tonight, not sure if his state has it. But I'll find out tonight. Thanks all for your help.
            You struck up my curiousity, because if its not required i would love to go with my SO, but passports are so expensive he can not afford one right now.
            here is the info for the peace bridge in Buffalo NY thats the only place i have ever crossed

https://www.peacebridge.com/index.ph...=57&Itemid=742

Comment

I know you can definitely get into Canada from the US without having a passport, the tricky part is trying to get back into the US without one... I don't know how long the delay is, and I don't know what they do to make sure that you're "okay" to cross. Could he get an enhanced licence? Most states that border Canada have them now and they take much less time (and cost less) than a passport.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kristin91 View Post
                I know you can definitely get into Canada from the US without having a passport, the tricky part is trying to get back into the US without one... I don't know how long the delay is, and I don't know what they do to make sure that you're "okay" to cross. Could he get an enhanced licence? Most states that border Canada have them now and they take much less time (and cost less) than a passport.
                I think to be safe he'll have to get something, I know he can get here no problem, but I don't want him to be stuck at the border on his way home. Lol.

Comment

I did months of research on Canada's government website, USA government website and the TSA site... all sites stated that one could get into Canada without a passport but MUST have one to get back into the States. (my 2 cents worth)
                  February 2012 -- met online
                  August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
                  April 2013 -- met in person
                  June 2013 -- broke up
                  July 2013 -- back together
                  August 2013 -- 2nd visit
                  October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
                  April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

Working...
                  X