Info on visas n' stuff for US/UK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info on visas n' stuff for US/UK.

Me and my girlfriend have been together for a year now! she came here in November, and I plan to go to Minnesota in May.
    I'm from England she's from America.
    We've made a plan, I go to Minnesota for a week, come home to the Hastings, and she comes with me, and stays 6 months, then I go to Minnesota around November for three months during christmas.
    After that we're not sure what to do, Visas seem to be a big obstacle, and money.
    We're both 17, homeschooled, unemployed.
    The question is, how can we be together longer than a couple months?
    What visas?
    And how to do it?

thanks for the help in Advance - AK
    Last edited by AK+CP; February 8, 2014, 04:02 PM.

Step 1. Turn 18
    Step 2. Finish your schooling before buggering off somewhere
    Step 3. Get a job and save money
    Step 4. Then you can start looking and worrying about visas.

Comment

A few things. ... you're going to need some source of income. I'm much older than you and in a reasonably well paid job and the cost of flights etc is a huge burden. You're both very young, why not concentrate on getting an education or training sorted out for both of you? You'll stand a much better chance of getting your long term dream with some stability and financial security. Or maybe look at the studying in one another's country if you can finance it.

Comment

I've finished school, She finishes in a few months.
        Money does seem the be the problem, We're both trying to find jobs that would pay good money, and still allow us to skype and kinda do all the things we still do, like a schedule of some sort.
        It is hard, and worth it.
        but putting the money issue aside for a minute, by the time we've been together for the 9 months we'll be 18.
        What could we do then? and what money would we need? what should we aim for etc.
        I want to move to America, that's something I'm sure of.

Comment

Originally posted by AK+CP View Post
          I've finished school, She finishes in a few months.
          Money does seem the be the problem, We're both trying to find jobs that would pay good money, and still allow us to skype and kinda do all the things we still do, like a schedule of some sort.
          It is hard, and worth it.
          but putting the money issue aside for a minute, by the time we've been together for the 9 months we'll be 18.
          What could we do then? and what money would we need? what should we aim for etc.
          I want to move to America, that's something I'm sure of.
          If you both find jobs that pay enough for you to move to the US on a high school diploma, please share. I'd love to know your secret.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
          Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
          Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
            If you both find jobs that pay enough for you to move to the US on a high school diploma, please share. I'd love to know your secret.
            Me too! As you're 17 and have already left uk schooling I'm assuming you just have gcse not a levels?

Comment

Here is a website, now you do the research https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english.html

There is no "money aside" Money is a main contributor of whether you get a visa or not. When I went to the uk I had to show funds for $10,000. How is money not an issue if you are not working? Mommy and Daddy might pay for things now, but what will you do when you move? You need to have a savings.
              Don't get a job based around your skyping schedule, get a job and then work around that. You have lots to learn young jedi.

Comment

I get what you're saying Snow, but I didn't mean money aside in that kinda term. I meant it more along the lines of what visas should we go for.
                School, Work. etc.

Comment

I get what you're saying Snow, but I didn't mean money aside in that kinda term. I meant it more along the lines of what visas should we go for.
                  School, Work. etc.
                  They will only let you in on a work visa if you have a specialized skill that will benefit the country. Working as a cashier/waiter/retail does not qualify. I gave you the link to a website, do your own research and find out what might suit you.

Comment

what visas should we go for.
                    If I'm reading your original post correctly, you are talking about spending 1 week on the first visit and 3 months for the second visit. Being from the UK, you won't need a visa for trips under 90 days. Google the Visa Waiver Program.

Comment

Also.... how are you going to get a job if you both plan on being abroad for months at a time. I understand you're keen and excited and want to be together. Believe me if I had a choice my SO and I would be living in the same country by now BUT you have to be realistic and patient sometimes.

Comment

You've been the only helpful one. Sounds good, thanks for the help.

Comment

We know she can come here for 6 months without a visa and I can go there for three. so yeah because we've got money now to spend on trips, which we're gonna do. We're using the months we spend together to look at Universities and study oppertunities in eachothers countries. Along with jobs

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                            Also.... how are you going to get a job if you both plan on being abroad for months at a time. I understand you're keen and excited and want to be together. Believe me if I had a choice my SO and I would be living in the same country by now BUT you have to be realistic and patient sometimes.
                            we're using the months we're spending together as a way to look for jobs and study opportunities in each other's countries.

Comment

You can look for jobs but unless you are allowed to work those jobs you find aren't still going to be there when you finally get a visa. 6 months is a long time to just sit around, and a lot of wasted time not working. Why not consider a short trip and then both work so you can work to make this happen. Will you work while she is there? If not, thats dumb and the visit will be nice but won't get you anywhere and if you are working she'll be bored out of her mind for half a year and she won't be accomplishing anything towards a permanent distance closure.

Comment

Working...
                              X