Entering the United States-Nervous!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digitalfever View Post
    I normally get cheerful guards. We normally have a pretty decent exchange. One Gaurd once asked me why my trips were so frequent and I responded with "Shopping!" and he was "Oh, gotta get that economy up!" and I was like yes "I come for the USA for the shopping and return to Canada for the free health care." He laughed and let me through.
    HAHAHA I love that but it's so true.. gotta love free healthcare
    [CENTER]

first met: ~10.03
    became official: 28.03.11
    first meeting: 08.06.12 - 24.06.12 (jason in vancouver)
    second meeting: 18.07.13 - 30.07.13 (jason in vancouver)
    our first vacation together: 30.07.13 - 20.08.13 (cynthia in new orleans)
    third meeting: 14.12.13 - 03.01.14 (cynthia in new orleans)
    fourth meeting: 21.05.14-02.06.14 (jason in vancouver)
    surprise! 13.08.14-27.08.14 (cynthia surprises jason in new orleans)
    viva las vegas: 21.12.14 - 24.12.14 (c+j vacation together in vegas!)
    jason's 1st canadian christmas: 24.12.14-02.01.15
    my first mardi gras: 12.02.15-20.02.15

Comment

I get grilled every time I come to Schengen too. It is just like this almost everywhere now. You cannot be more apple pie than me but I barely made it into UK last month and that was truly for a 2 week visit! My advice is pick a very busy airport, the busier the immigration has been the less hassle I have had. Heathrow is much more forgiving than Stanstead and so JFK might be much better than Allentown. The more time they have on their hands, the more likely they are to be willing to delve into each stamp they do. My scariest time every has been at Rotterdam airport, the place is like a ghost town and had me in almost tears.
      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I've noticed on all my trips back to the US (from Canada and Chile) it depends on where you go through customs at. In Toronto I had a mix of nice Officers and mean Officers, I've never had a nice Officer crossing the border into New York, but all of my encounters at Dallas Fort Worth have been very nice and the officers very friendly. They'll ask a lot of questions, answer them honestly (the first one they usually always as is where are you coming from and where are you going) for the most part it's pretty easy and no need to worry (but i've gone through those same feelings many times going into Canada and after the 2nd time it was like second nature so it's something you'll get used to depending on how often you visit him).

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

For me it's not about talking to au unfriendly officer. I can deal with unfriendly people
          It's all about the questions. I just hope that they'll let me through without asking me too many questions. it's the questions that'll make me nervous. maybe I should try some rescue remedy

Comment

I usually enter the US via LAX. I just tell them that I am visiting family friends and will be staying with them for a bit, then doing some traveling as well as shopping. I've yet to have an issue, and I've been twice. I never tell them about seeing my SO. Telling them you are seeing a friend is enough. I use "family friends" because it sounds more legit lol. Unless they ask you further questions, there is no need to bring your SO up because it just raises alarm. You could always keep a phone number of your SO's relative handy while traveling and ask them to back you up in the unlikely case that they take you aside for a secondary interview.
            Last edited by Zapookie; August 27, 2014, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X